Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UK Rain
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
nprev
Just wanted to check on all our UK friends. The US news is devoting considerable coverage to flooding 'over there' (from my perspective, of course); you guys all doing okay? unsure.gif
ElkGroveDan
More importantly, it's the newly constructed UMSF shed that we are worried about.
Del Palmer
After looking at the influx of water in my garden I watched the movie Titanic and felt much better... wink.gif
tedstryk
hmmm.....we are 17 inches behind on rainfall this year...so that is where it all went....
Stu
The floods are a fair bit further south than where I live in Kendal, so no problems here, even though I do suspect sometimes - usually when there's something worth seeing in the night sky - that Kendal's town council secretly twinned us with Atlantis. But I live in a 1st floor flat, on a hill, so if I'm ever threatened by floodwaters it's time to start building a very big boat and rounding up pairs of animals...
djellison
Not noticed a damn thing here in Leicester - just lots of pictures of half of Gloucestershire being brown instead of green on the news. The southern half of the country will get trench-foot if it doesn't dry out soon smile.gif
abalone
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 25 2007, 05:30 PM) *
Not noticed a damn thing here in Leicester - just lots of pictures of half of Gloucestershire being brown instead of green on the news. The southern half of the country will get trench-foot if it doesn't dry out soon smile.gif

Here I am was thinking that if you stood in the middle of the UK it was small enough to see the ocean all around.
If you have any spare rain you could always send it here, we could sure use it. We have had 80-90+% os NSW as drought declared for as long as I can remember.
djellison
If you stand in the middle of the UK - most of the time the weather is crap enough to see you own hand...but that's about it.

Doug
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (abalone @ Jul 25 2007, 12:01 AM) *
Here I am was thinking that if you stood in the middle of the UK it was small enough to see the ocean all around.

Funny I was thinking the same about Australia wink.gif
dburt
QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 25 2007, 02:02 AM) *
If you stand in the middle of the UK - most of the time the weather is crap enough to see your own hand...but that's about it.

Doug - If you want trouble seeing beyond your hand (or breathing), you could try an Arizona summer dust storm. Here are 3 shots of the one mentioned in my post # 265 (17 July) on Mars impacts. They were taken at 7:19, 7:26, and 7:38 PM out my dirty office window as the sun was setting. The dust storm (or "radial cold air surge resulting from column collapse in a thunderhead") hit ASU about 30 minutes later, and I had to make my way home through it. Enjoy.

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

--HDP Don
nprev
I can dig it, HDP Don...was stationed at Davis-Monthan AFB (in Tucson, FYI others who aren't familiar) for almost four years, the front end of my car was pretty much sandblasted down to the metal by the time I left...
CosmicRocker
I served some time in west Texas and saw a few of those. On rare occasions atmospheric dynamics created simultaneous thunderstorms. It approximately rained mud. It seems that earth is fortunate in that it seems to have some damping mechanisms to prevent these things from exploding into global events.
remcook
Let's say I'm glad I live on a hill smile.gif
SkyeLab
Just made it into work for the first time this week. My house is on a hill but the flooding begins about 50 metres from my back door. West Oxford in under a metre of water in places, I had to cycle through a couple of 50cm deep sections on my way to the train station (not that any trains are running) only to find that the replacement bus service had been suspended due to an RTA.

Eventually made it to work 2.5 hours late, so nearly time to go back home again.........

Wish me luck!

Brian
djellison
Might I suggest a snorkel? It'll give you an extra 6 inches of depth if you need it. Glad to hear it's all OK.

I feel sorry for the guys in Gloucester - that could turn into a very nasty situation if the water isn't sorted VERY quickly. I used to live in those parts ( up a big hill, thankfully ) but farmers and other animal owners are in real trouble.

Doug
abalone
QUOTE (SkyeLab @ Jul 26 2007, 09:42 PM) *
Just made it into work for the first time this week. My house is on a hill but the flooding begins about 50 metres from my back door. West Oxford in under a metre of water in places, I had to cycle through a couple of 50cm deep sections on my way to the train station (not that any trains are running) only to find that the replacement bus service had been suspended due to an RTA.

Eventually made it to work 2.5 hours late, so nearly time to go back home again.........

Wish me luck!

Brian

Goodonya mate!! Nice to see the British spirit lives.
tty
A small aside on weather in Tucson. I've done quite a lot of camping but the only time I ever got thoroughly soaked in my tent was just outside Tucson. Those desert thunderstorms have to be seen to be believed blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.