Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transformers
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Decepticon
As some of the member's here know I'm a Big fan of Transformers. Most of you know the toy line that follows the weekly cartoon.

Earlier this year Dream-works started film a Live Action Movie based on the toy line!

There a little fictional Space Probe peace in there that most of you will find entertaining.
Beagle 2! Funny thing is it looks allot like a Mars rover ripoff!

And a desert right out of Nevada.

Anyways here a sneak peak! http://www.transformersmovie.com/
djellison
LOL- it's an excellent MER model...but with two arms....and called Beagle 2.....how random smile.gif

Good lander base with egress aids as well - clearly Opportunity as it's straight forward off the lander wink.gif

Looking forward to it though - should be cool!!!!

Doug
paxdan
Here is the trailer on you tube featuring the MERbeagle2 rover. I wonder if the launch is the Spirit launch
djellison
Yes - that's Spirit's launch - it's an MER set of logos on the side, the non-heavy GEM's on the launch vehicle and it's in the daytime ( Oppy was at night) Strange short shot of a Saturn V launch in there for half a second - very odd.

Doug
ugordan
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 30 2006, 03:42 PM) *
Strange short shot of a Saturn V launch in there for half a second - very odd.

I think they stole that from Apollo 13, you know, the movie:
Click to view attachment
Bob Shaw
QUOTE (ugordan @ Jun 30 2006, 08:35 PM) *
I think they stole that from Apollo 13, you know, the movie:

Why not? It's a rocket shuttle thingy, innit? Nobody can tell the difference...

Bob Shaw
MouseOnMars
Tranformers, the movie.

I don't know if Mr. Pillinger has seen this, but I wondered if he'd be celebrating or sighing when I saw the Beagle 2 sequence.

Beagle suddenly has a "Rover" in it. Ahhhh ! ohmy.gif

OK, it's an artistic amalgam of Beagle and MER blink.gif .

I'm not sure everyone is a fan of Michael Bay after Pearl Harbour and Armageddon, but with the influence of Steven Spielberg he seems to be developing his talents.

There are some brilliant pieces in there, in my opinion, obviously developed from Spielberg's ET interests, Planetary Society membership, and on on. So much has been written about how we would find them, how we would make contact. But how would they make contact with us ? The initial alien robot in disguise as kids car device turns into a hilarious exploration of American teenage dating juxtaposed with how an alien life form might gain the trust of a young human.

Some might see it as crass, the Hasbro toy franchise. Michael Bay's obsession with the military. The comparison between alien robot warriors and human soldiers. The cynical will see it as an advert for the US military ! But I just came to the conclusion that everything has it's dark and light sides. The initial wiping of an military base by one of the "decepticons" set's the scene regarding what we're up against. It could also be seen as a comment on over done military responses versus the "auto bots" more restrained approach.

Very good fun, just very good fun. Just one warning, if your're taking young children to a showing then check out the parents guides first ( imdb.com , etc). There were a few moments when I was having very real difficulty matching some scenes to the 12 certificate (it's 12 here in the UK anyway).

mouseonmars
MouseOnMars
Hello!

Transformers, the movie.

I don't know if Mr. Pillinger has seen this, but I wondered if he'd be celebrating or sighing when I saw the Beagle 2 sequence rolleyes.gif .

But with Steven Spielberg involved you can probably guess what they're up to

QUOTE (Bob Shaw @ Jun 30 2006, 08:41 PM) *
Why not? It's a rocket shuttle thingy, innit? Nobody can tell the difference...

Bob Shaw

I think they might be going for the fiction / reality cut up approach. I mean, I just find this extraordinary, Steven Spielberg, friend of George Lucas and the influence of the Space missions. Maybe it's a two way road as well ?

QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 30 2006, 03:42 PM) *
Yes - that's Spirit's launch - it's an MER set of logos on the side, the non-heavy GEM's on the launch vehicle and it's in the daytime ( Oppy was at night) Strange short shot of a Saturn V launch in there for half a second - very odd.

Doug

That is actual Spirit launch video ? I'm impressed they even put that in.

mouseonmars
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.