Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: T34 (July 19, 2007)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
remcook
Mission description online: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/prod...description.pdf

..and the return of the playback list smile.gif
ugordan
Now THAT is an equatorial flyby!
elakdawalla
Woo hoo! Delighted to see those playback timelines return. They really help deliver blow-by-blow detail on the timing of observations.

--Emily
Littlebit
QUOTE (T34 Description)
During that period, the Cassini HGA boresight is continuously maneuvered to point to the region on Titan's surface where mirror-like (specular) reflection, if detectable, can be observed at the NASA DSN ground receiving stations at Goldstone and Canberra...
...Potential detectability of a weak echo strongly depends on potential presence of relatively flat (liquid or solid) Titan terrain within the HGA footprint over the surface region probed (the ground track). The T34 observation geometry also enjoys the advantage of extending in time till near C/A where a smaller distance to the surface enhances the measurement signal-to-noise ratio, hence enhances potential detectability of any weak surface echo.
Stu
Looking forward to that.

Apologies if I've missed some update somewhere, but are we still a bit behind with the release of radar images? Seems like yonks since we saw any more data on lakes/seas etc.
alan
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jul 13 2007, 11:44 AM) *
Woo hoo! Delighted to see those playback timelines return. They really help deliver blow-by-blow detail on the timing of observations.

--Emily

Images playback on Thursday. Shouldn't be any problem getting them onto the raw image pages then. smile.gif

The delays that I've seen have occurred when images arrived on the weekend, like the images from T33 which still are not up mad.gif
Juramike
Cool-o!

Here is a context image: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...2/W00030649.jpg

And craterform indicated in this image below:

Click to view attachment

(It looks similar in size to the sliced carrot feature in Shangri-La, but without the slices?)

-Mike

[EDIT: Alan had already indicated the crater nicely in his post.]
Juramike
Context image coupled with Fensal-Aztlan mosaic showing S Senkyo basin. Putative tectonic lines in Quivra and Aztlan line up with the sets of lines seen in the southern part of the new image in S Senkyo. (Also lines up with putative grabens in N Tseghi and NE Tseghi.)

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Generation III squish vector corresponding tectonic ridges - yellow
Generation II squish vector corresponding tectonic ridges - purple

Note possible breach in circular feature wall indicated by orange arrow.

Man, I hope we got higher res images of this! And VIMS would be awesome also!
I'll bet that blob to the SW of the new crater is going have similar properties as Adiri.
(Can we go back and get a RADAR swath? tongue.gif )

Whoo-hoo!

-Mike
volcanopele
QUOTE (alan @ Jul 20 2007, 12:21 PM) *
New Titan image are up. smile.gif
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...0&storedQ=0

Another crater?

Could be. My thinking though is probably not.

Wrong part of Titan, Mike.
Juramike
No way! ohmy.gif (meant in a non-combatitive "OMG, I sure hope I didn't screw this up" manner)

(What is the lat/lon of Alan's image?)

-Mike
alan
Juramike, your context image was taken before closest approach. I believe you have it upside down.

Edit, scratch that, I checked the CICLOPS page, it looks OK .
Juramike
Hmmm....Well, it looks like this particular area in S Senkyo might have been examined and described before:

See: Perry, J. et al LPS XXXVIII (2007) p. 2219. “Cassini ISS observations of Titan: The Titan-20 flyby.” Abstract freely available here.

If the dark circle is indeed an impact feature, then it appears to be a heavily eroded, ragged, breached, and dune-sand filled Generation I feature (relatively young – no squish). Probably the only way to confirm it is similar to other circular features would be SAR RADAR imaging of the putative walls and the center.

(From the imaging so far, it still could be a crater, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.)

The “tectonic” ridges and lines inferred in the post above mesh nicely with the processed images in the abstract.

-Mike
Littlebit
QUOTE (T34 Mission Description)
During that period, the Cassini HGA boresight is continuously maneuvered to point to the region on Titan's surface where mirror-like (specular) reflection, if detectable, can be observed at the NASA DSN ground receiving stations at Goldstone and Canberra. The T34 experiment enjoys the unique advantage of an observation geometry near the Brewster angle of likely surface compositions throughout the 65 minutes observation period. This special geometry allows unambiguous determination of the surface dielectric constant, and hence its physical state and properties, from simultaneous measurement of the RCP and LCP (right and left circularly polarized, respectively) echo components, if detectable.

The Cassini Events log said that these observations were very successful. I'm not holding my breath waiting for analysis - well I guess I am - but I suspect the team will mull over these data for some time before publishing. Titan hasn't failed to surprise us yet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.