Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Math Software
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
nprev
Got a strange request, here. Does anyone know of any good freeware that can derive non-linear equations to describe a relationship between two sets of data? Doing my thesis research now and it's getting hot and heavy, at least for my rusty old brain, and the last time I did even moderately challenging math (differential equations) was 21 years ago. Any help would be most appreciated!
Juramike
Microsoft EXCEL has a few linefit features in the Chart portion of the software that do an OK job.

(You'll need to click on "show formula" to get the parameters).

-Mike
nprev
Should've known...Excel does everything, it's just hard as hell to find these obscure functions...will give it a try. Thanks, Mike! smile.gif
tglotch
nprev,

You might want to try scilab http://www.scilab.org/
From what I understand its like and open source version of Matlab. I haven't tried it, but I've heard good things, and I use Matlab for all of my hard-core math.

-Tim
nprev
Wow! blink.gif Will do, TG, and thank you very much...need all the help I can get, and this sure looks like a winner for graphics generation.

EDIT: Hey, Mike, that Excel function worked really, really well for equation generation; thanks!!! TG, I'm gonna play with Scilab tonight.

EDIT2: TG, ye gods! blink.gif Scilab is powerful juju indeed, but gonna have to spend some quality time learning the commands & syntax...looks well worth the effort, though, gonna look for some tutorials. Thanks again!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.