Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mr. Wizard Passes
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
nprev
Although all I ever saw of his show was reruns, let us reflect on the passing of Don Herbert, "Mr. Wizard" to US TV viewers, who showed so many of us the wonders of basic experimental science in our youths. He was 89: http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/12/o...d.ap/index.html

Mr. Herbert undoubtedly had a significant influence on many of today's senior scientists, underscoring the role that popular science educators can play via mass media; he was a true pioneer. This is evident from the fact that his stage moniker has become an instantly recognizable nickname for people who are skillful and competent.

His show ran from 1951 through 1964, and his impact on our civilization reverberates even now in 2007. Rest well, sir, and we thank you. sad.gif
elakdawalla
Oh no! sad.gif He'll be missed. I missed him a long time ago, in fact. I believe it was Mr. Wizard, more than any of my science teachers, who taught me that physical science was about asking questions -- and then building an experiment that could give you the answer. My father and I watched his show religiously in the '80s. You younger kids can have your Science Guy -- I liked my Mr. Wizard. No fancy sets, just simple demonstrations.

--Emily
CosmicRocker
Well said, nprev. I am surprised that anyone younger than 50 even noticed. My first thought after learning of his death tonight was to come here and and at least memorialize his influence on me. I was a curious child in the 50s and 60s who couldn't get enough input regarding the world around me, and I never missed the Mr. Wizard show. If it was on the air, I was firmly planted in the family living room, in front of the television and eagerly awaiting Mr. Wizard's latest demonstrations of the wonder of science.

I would have never learned to appreciate Carl Sagan's talents if I hadn't studied under Don Herbert first.

As I think back about his influence on my mind, I recall joyful discoveries of discarded televisions, radios, electric motors, toasters, washing machines, and all manner of devices that I carried or dragged home and disassembled, to figure out how they worked. Then, there were the experiments to invent a rocket fuel or explosive, not all of which went well.

Mr. Wizard: Not everyone will remember you, but I salute you.
nprev
The things I recall about him the most are his gentleness and patience. He seemed always, always both trustworthy and knowledgable, and willing to consider and answer without any trace of patronization the ramifications of any answer to any question...what a gift that is, really. In the final analysis, what a remarkable person he was, and what a life worth living...
dvandorn
Let me just add my voice to the chorus, here. I watched the original Mr. Wizard series back in the early '60s. It was fascinating to me -- the guy had a real knack for bringing arcane scientific information into *my* world. Whether it was demonstrating how regular materials react when dipped in liquid nitrogen, or showing what happens to a bag of marshmallows when you put it in a vacuum, the demonstration were always well conceived and very well explained.

Don Herbert was one of the prime factors in attaching scientific explorations to my sense of wonder. He will be missed.

-the other Doug
lyford
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 12 2007, 09:49 PM) *
You younger kids can have your Science Guy -- I liked my Mr. Wizard. No fancy sets, just simple demonstrations.

Does the Vice President of the Planetary Society agree with your sentiments???? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif (Though at least you didn't mention the "B-Word") laugh.gif
Science popularizers do a noble service for our society... we under-appreciate them to our peril. By leveraging the newer medium of television, Mr. Herbert made science accessible to more than one generation of children in their own homes. The work he has done is still bearing fruit, seen even among the members of this board!
djellison
Always sad to see a popular educator go sad.gif Can someone familiar with UK and US culture give me an analogy - sounds like a Johnny Ball / Heinz Wolf type character - the sort of people who put science in my brain...and I still can't get it out.

Doug
dvandorn
One of my favorite homages to Mr. Wizard was the parody shown on the mid-'90s Jim Henson Productions TV comedy, "Dinosaurs." I even forget what they called the show (something similar to "Mr. Wizard"), but the running gag was that the dinosaur science teacher always had a mammalian child assistant named Timmy. Most of the "science demonstrations" ended up killing the assistant, which brought the tag line, "We're gonna need another Timmy!"

This led to me informing my roommate over the phone today of Mr. Herbert's death with the respectful, but still amusing, comment, "It looks like we're gonna need another Mr. Wizard."

I sure hope someone can step up and fill Mr. Herbert's shoes. The concept is not only valid, it's important.

-the other Doug
lyford
I think the segment on Dinosaurs was called "Ask Mr. Lizard."
nprev
QUOTE (djellison @ Jun 13 2007, 08:58 AM) *
Always sad to see a popular educator go sad.gif Can someone familiar with UK and US culture give me an analogy - sounds like a Johnny Ball / Heinz Wolf type character - the sort of people who put science in my brain...and I still can't get it out.

Doug

Doug, I confess that I don't know these men or UK culture, but will try to draw you a sketch.

Mr. Wizard's persona was that of a kindly, patient, very trustworthy and very respected neighbor...maybe a widower and/or a retired teacher who deeply loved and missed his work. He took care to explain each experiment in very plain language, and never raised his voice or performed outlandish tricks...yet he clearly was amused and entertained by the results of his efforts. By the end of the show, you felt like you just had a great visit with a friend, and (oddly enough for a child! smile.gif ) you'd learned something, but it was really cool, and you had more 'why'-type questions that you wanted to answer...turns out that many of us would always feel like that. That was his gift.

EDIT: Very good, very illuminating obit from The Washington Post.
edstrick
I watched Mr. Wizard sporadically in the mid 60's.

I wish he'd been able to happily keep going for years more, but it's just not a safe universe we live in.

At least this is not a case where "The Good Die Young"
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.