Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: May 30, 2007, HiRISE release
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
AlexBlackwell
May 30, 2007, HiRISE release
ustrax
Interesting...
There's a feature located near the highest elevation in the bottom of that image with carachteristiques quite similar to this one...pointed out as a possible oil seep...
Stu
From 'Dunes inside Herschel Crater'...

Click to view attachment
Toma B
smile.gif Nice one!!! smile.gif
Gray
Very nice, Stu.
One of my first thoughts when I saw that was that it would make great album cover art biggrin.gif
Thanks for supplying us with a regular dose of colorized images.
nprev
Great stuff, Stu...captures in many ways the duality of Mars from our perspective...Earth-like dunes encroaching on a Moon-like crater...

Ustrax, man, gotta play skeptic here. That "oil seep" looks a lot like most of the other purported water streaks, although interesting how it seemed to mud up that crater on the bottom of the gully. The Olympus Mons feature to me looks like a possible microclimate artifact; perhaps the wind is selectively removing less massive light-colored material and darker, heavier stuff is staying behind.

To quote Carl (hope I get it right): "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". Petroleum on Mars would be beyond extraordinary, but I won't believe it unless some future rover lands on one of these things and gets an oil change! tongue.gif smile.gif Cool thought, though.
Stu
From the O Mons cliff edge image...

Click to view attachment
ustrax
QUOTE (nprev @ Jun 1 2007, 01:22 AM) *
-Ustrax, man, gotta play skeptic here.

-The Olympus Mons feature to me looks like a possible microclimate artifact; perhaps the wind is selectively removing less massive light-colored material and darker, heavier stuff is staying behind.

-Undoubtfuly...Some time ago, the team leader of that project told me that there were going to be news about it but so far...

-I agree with you, there are some other examples:
Here and here...
Gray
That one in your second example is really strange. It looks like it covers an upslope and a downslope.
ustrax
QUOTE (Gray @ Jun 1 2007, 05:47 PM) *
That one in your second example is really strange. It looks like it covers an upslope and a downslope.

Yes, you're right...indeed strange...
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.