Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: digital spacecraft models
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future
DDAVIS
Another part of my ongoing planetary exploration show project involves making models of Mariner, Viking and other probes. Here is the Viking model I made for the Viking sequences. I worked from many photos I took of the Science Test Lander while painting the background mural, as well as from photocopies of engineering drawings I came upon during my USGS days. It is a work in progress but sufficent for my present needs. I simulate a view from Camera 2 with the color panorama revealed after landing so the planetarium audience gets an approximately correct perspective of this and other Martian panoramas. I have other spacecraft models I will post renders of later.

Others may well be doing similar work worth sharing.

Don

Click to view attachment
Ian R
That's truly remarkable Don! ohmy.gif

I remember with fondness the cover you produced for Sky & Telescope in the wake of the Pathfinder mission. As I recall, it combined a digital model of the lander and Sojourner with a large panorama of the landing site, which was projected onto a 3D relief map of the surrounding terrain.

I still have that issue somewhere - the cover stayed in my head for weeks after I originally bought it.

Ian.
Ian R
This is the issue - October 1997:

Click to view attachment

http://www.shopatsky.com/index.asp?PageAct...amp;ProdID=1000
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.