Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: JGR-Planets (Special Collection) - Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Mission and Science Investigations
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
AlexBlackwell
The first papers in JGR-Planets (Special Collection) - Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Mission and Science Investigations should start appearing soon; in fact, I understand the Zurek and Smrekar paper will be published online tomorrow.

Note: A preprint (23 Mb PDF) of the McEwen et al. HiRISE paper has been available for quite some time.
Stephen
I notice the one paper in the collection online thus far ("An overview of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) science mission" by Richard W. Zurek and Suzanne E. Smrekar) contains a tidbit or two about the Ka-band equipment problem that was first mentioned
here. It briefly mentions (section 2.3.2) is that there was "a failure in the Ka-band exciter chain during aerobraking" and alludes also to "a possible impact on the nominal X-band telecom systems if the redundant paths were to be used". As a consequence the "operational demonstration of Ka-band" is "on hold". (The only consolation appears to be that during inflight testing during the cruise phase "the MRO Ka-band system set a new record for the rate of data return from deep space".)

Has any further information about this problem been released?
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (Stephen @ May 14 2007, 01:13 AM) *

Public release? Not that I'm aware of.
AlexBlackwell
The McEwen et al. HiRISE paper should be published online later today. And from what I understand, the Malin et al. CTX paper and the the Seu et al. SHARAD paper will be published online tomorrow.
AlexBlackwell
From what I understand, the CRISM (Murchie et al.) and RS (Zuber et al.) papers should be published online next Tuesday.
tuvas
QUOTE (Stephen @ May 14 2007, 04:13 AM) *

The short answer is, the problem isn't a problem, so long as the spacecraft continues to operate in one mode. If the modes were switched, it could lead to problems with the spacecraft. That's about all I know myself about the problem, and it's been deemed by those who know that it's not a good idea to figure out what "problems with the spacecraft" are unless we have to, or are in super-extended mission.
AlexBlackwell
The final paper of this series, McCleese et al., should be published online in a couple of hours.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.