Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: May 9, 2007, HiRISE release
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
AlexBlackwell
May 9, 2007, HiRISE release
bdunford
Could each of these crater wall gullies have formed in a single flow event, or would it require multiple events to carve them?
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (bdunford @ May 9 2007, 10:47 AM) *
Could each of these crater wall gullies have formed in a single flow event, or would it require multiple events to carve them?

Given the apparent anastamosing patterns, channel incision depths, and the morphology of the debris fans, I would argue multiple events.
bdunford
Interesting. Thank you. Is it just me, or is this one of the most interesting craters MRO has imaged in detail?
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (bdunford @ May 9 2007, 12:02 PM) *
Interesting. Thank you. Is it just me, or is this one of the most interesting craters MRO has imaged in detail?

I agree, it is an interesting crater. Moreover, I'm reminded of an earlier HiRISE release we discussed back in January. This synoptic-type view (at high-res) of an entire crater with gullied walls gives good indications of the features associated with Christensen's gullies formation model (e.g., "pasted-on terrain").
bdunford
If I understand Christensen correctly, sites such as this could be excellent locations for surface exploration seeking past or current conditions favorable to life. I wonder if any of the proposed MSL landing sites include a location like this? (Not that I remember seeing, but I doubt I've seen all of them).
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (bdunford @ May 9 2007, 12:22 PM) *
If I understand Christensen correctly, sites such as this could be excellent locations for surface exploration seeking past or current conditions favorable to life. I wonder if any of the proposed MSL landing sites include a location like this? (Not that I remember seeing, but I doubt I've seen all of them).

I presume you're referring to Christensen's THOR concept.

As for MSL, I haven't correlated any of Christensen's "pasted-on" terrains to proposed MSL landing sites, but it is an interesting idea.
bdunford
I was just referring to the "pasted on" model. I didn't know about THOR, so thanks for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.