Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: (somewhat) humorous ironies in deep space programs
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
monitorlizard
Just for fun, I thought I'd start a topic on odd little ironies in various deep space projects that have popped up over the years. These are things that seem contradictory to logic at first glance, but have sound reasoning behind them when you think about it. I think it's sort of funny, hope some of you will, too.

EXAMPLE 1: Every drawing I've seen of a proposed solar probe spacecraft, designed to go closer to the Sun than any other spacecraft, has never shown power generated by solar panels, only nuclear RTG's. Seems like a waste of a natural power source. EXPLANATION: Solar panels would unfortunately melt in the extreme heat of perihelion. Every part of the solar probe has to be behind an advanced heat shield.

EXAMPLE 2: My favorite. In the later 1960's, NASA considered rough lander capsules for Mars, dropped off by orbiting Mariner-class spacecraft. The capsules would have modest deceleration from parachutes, would hit the surface at high-g levels, then open up to conduct experiments, including simple life-detecting experiments. And what substance was seriously considered to surround the capsule and absorb the high-g's? Balsa wood, a very biological substance! EXPLANATION: The entire capsule, including the balsa outer layer, would be heat sterilized to prevent contaminating Mars. Balsa wood, because of its porous structure, turns out to be one of the best (and lightest weight) substances for absorbing shocks.

Anyone else have other examples?
tim cassidy
More on Example 1:

The current plan for the solar probe would have it launched toward Jupiter.

Reason: It's very difficult to get close to the Sun because anything launched from Earth starts out with so much angular momentum (relative to the Sun). A Jupiter swingby would use that planet's immense gravity to remove that angular momentum
Paolo
QUOTE (tim cassidy @ May 5 2007, 05:02 PM) *
More on Example 1:

The current plan for the solar probe would have it launched toward Jupiter.

Reason: It's very difficult to get close to the Sun because anything launched from Earth starts out with so much angular momentum (relative to the Sun). A Jupiter swingby would use that planet's immense gravity to remove that angular momentum

As Bepi Colombo wrote of a direct from Earth solar probe during the 1970s, “such trajectories require to stop the world while we get off”
hendric
Adding additional shielding to protect against radiation can actually backfire, because the intense radiation would hit the shielding material and "splinter" into more particles than you started with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.