Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Horizons' quick trip & recovery from safe mode
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO > New Horizons
Littlebit
http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/overview/piPerspec...ive_current.php

QUOTE (Alan Stern)
Since a bad word in C&DH memory could invoke an unpredictable spacecraft action, C&DH is programmed to command itself to reboot (and thus restore memory from a boot PROM) whenever such an double-bit error is detected. But whenever C&DH resets, our onboard autonomous fault-detection and -protection system declares an emergency and commands the spacecraft to suspend all current activities and go to a "Safe Mode."

That sounds like my mother's behavior whenever she hears a bad word.

Is it a coincidence that this occurred while New Horizons was surfing in Pluto's magnetosphere? Has the single bit error count been up since the Jupiter boost? Perhaps Jupiter is a little peeved about the theft of gravitational energy...
nprev
Think you meant Jupiter's magnetosphere... smile.gif ...but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this was some sort of radiation or cosmic ray event (the latter more likely).
ustrax
I particulary enjoyed this paragraph from the PI's Perspective...:

"Onward we go, into the cold, yawning abyss that is the outer solar system, with our eyes, minds and hearts firmly fixed on our goal of a history-making scientific exploration of worlds where no one has gone before!"

Alan Stern really knows how to give a special touch to his updated... smile.gif
tuvas
I'm fairly impressed that this is the first safing event of NH. I know of at least 3 that have happened with MRO and I wouldn't be surprised if there was another one or two that happened before I joined the HiRISE team. Most were recovered in short order (Namely because the instruments were turned off. They actually occurred during aerobraking), but still... Good work NH team!
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (ustrax @ Mar 29 2007, 05:52 AM) *
"exploration of worlds where no one has gone before!"

Not only does he sound like a Star Trek fan, it appears he's partial to TNG.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.