Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Titan and Home Brew
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
ngunn
Out of curiosity (and admiration) I decided to check out the website of Member No. 1764. I found this:

Ralph D Lorenz - Curriculum Vitae
Web : http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rlorenz

Date of Birth: 24 August 1969 Place of Birth: Lanark, Scotland
Citizenship : United Kingdom Marital Status : Married

Education

Attended 1-week Summer School 'The Making of a Planetary Mission' California Institute
of Technology, Pasadena, USA, August 1995

October 1991 - October 1994.
Unit for Space Sciences, University of Kent, Canterbury, England.
Enrolled as full-time PhD student; thesis title 'Exploring the Surface of Titan'. Developed
science strategy for impact science and acoustic sounding of Titanšs surface from the ESA
Huygens probe. Designed, built and calibrated impact penetrometer experiment, to be
flown on Huygens. Investigated anticipated contributions of Cassini orbiter and Huygens
probe, and groundbased measurements to understanding Titanšs surface; modelled tidal
effects on Titan, formation of crater lakes, methane rainfall, photochemistry in Titanšs
atmosphere (hydrocarbons and meteoric-derived oxygen.) Participated in Huygens Science
Working Team (HSWT) meetings, chaired ŒHuygens Surface Mission Groupš. Also
followed 60-hour 'French for Natural Scientists' course at University of Kent, October
1991-May 1992. PhD awarded November 1994.

Attended 10-week 'International Space University' (ISU) in Kitakyushu,Japan June-
August 1992. Enrolled in the Physical Sciences Department. Participated in the ISUNet
(space databases/networks) design project.

Attended 5-week 'European Research Course in Atmospheres' (ERCA) in Grenoble,
France, January-February 1993

Attended 2-week Summer school in 'Comparative Planetology' hosted by the Austrian
Space Agency in Alpbach, Austria July 1993.

October 1987 - June 1990
Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, University of Southampton, England
Awarded B.Eng.(1st Class Honours) in Aerospace Systems Engineering, July 1990
Final Year subjects : Aerospace Design: Aerospace Guidance and Autonomy : Avionics:
Astronautics : Management
Final Year Project : 'Design of a Low-Cost Electrically-propelled Asteroid Rendezvous
Probe Launched as a Secondary Payload' - won Department prize for best project.

September 1980 - June 1987
King Edward VI Grammar School, Church Street, Stratford-upon-Avon, England:
1984-1986, took 11 ŒO-levelš exams, attained grade ŒAš in all subjects (English Literature,
English Language, Latin, French, Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology,
Additional Mathematics, Human Biology. Grade scale runs A-E : C is pass; A is excellent.)
1987 took 5 ŒA-levelš exams (Physics, Chemistry, Pure Mathematics, General Studies and
Applied Mathematics), attained grade ŒAš in all subjects, with Merit in Applied Mathematics
Special paper, Distinction in Chemistry Special Paper.

Employment

November 1994-June 1997
Postdoctoral Research Associate, Lunar and Planetary Laboratory, University of Arizona.
Performing modelling of Titan surface and climate evolution (with Jonathan Lunine),
especially geological processes such as erosion, cratering, etc.
Interpretation/analysis of Hubble Space Telescope images of Titan (with Peter Smith) -
development of surface maps and search for cloud features, analysis of images at different
wavelengths to examine North-South asymmetry and limb effects; comparison with aerosol
models to determine mechanism of N-S asymmetry seasonal evolution.
Engaged (under contract to JPL) on developing science strategy for Cassini radar mapping
of Titanšs surface, developing inputs to the Cassini orbital tour design to maximise radar
coverage of areas of interest on Titan. Continued participation in Cassini PSG (especially
Surfaces Working Group) and Huygens Science Working Team. Managing development
of observation planning software for the Cassini radar instrument. Miscellaneous additional
planetary studies (Io volcanism, Martian Winds) and mission studies (Titan aerobot, deep
outer planet probes)

October 1990-September 1991
'Young Graduate Traineeš, reporting to Huygens Payload/AIV Manager.
Huygens Project Division, Scientific Projects Department, European Space Technology
and Research Centre (ESTEC), Noordwijk, The Netherlands.
Participated in reviews of scientific and engineering aspects of the Huygens payload
instruments and probe system design, identifying potential problems and noncompliances.
Extensive documentation review tasks. Also performed some Titan environment studies
and risk assessments - methane icing, aerosol deposition on camera optics, probability and
nature of lightning strikes; initial assessment of impact survivability.

July 1989-September 1989
Summer Employment, UoSAT Spacecraft Engineering Research Unit, University of
Surrey, Guildford, England. Built, tested and calibrated flight model near-infrared Earth
Horizon Sensor for UoSAT-E microsatellite. Participated in Magnetometer calibration.

July 1988-September 1988
Summer Employment, UoSAT Spacecraft Engineering Research Unit, University of
Surrey, Guildford, England. Design Study of low-cost satellite (to be launched by
shuttle/GAScan), focussing on propulsion system design and attitude control/dynamics.

Societies and Affiliations

Member of Royal Astronomical Society (Joint Association for Geophysics), Division of
Planetary Sciences (DPS) of American Astronomical Society, Royal Aeronautical Society.
American Geophysical Union.

Awards and Distinctions

€ Prize for best undergraduate paper, International Astronautical Federation Congress,
Bangalore, India, October 1988
€ Prize for best final year project, Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics, University
of Southampton, England, July 1990
€ Luigi Napolitano prize for most significant contribution by scientist under 30,
International Astronautical Federation Congress, Jerusalem, Israel, October 1994

Interests and Activities

Travel, Ultimate Frisbee, Squash, Raquetball, Languages, Skiing, Writing, Home
beermaking
lyford
QUOTE (ngunn @ Mar 23 2007, 07:01 AM) *
Home
beermaking

Sounds like he was doing a little methanogeneration research at home biggrin.gif
tglotch
I make my own beer too. Actually, I know a lot of scientists who do. When I was a grad student, we had a group that would get together once a month or more to brew. Whenever one of us graduated we would make a special "Graduation Ale." Unfortunately, no methanogenesis is involved. The yeast release CO2. Otherwise, beer would be methanated instead of carbonated.
Littlebit
I think he is just padding his resume...it was a little weak before he added the brewery....
lyford
QUOTE (tglotch @ Apr 2 2007, 09:20 AM) *
Unfortunately, no methanogenesis is involved. The yeast release CO2. Otherwise, beer would be methanated instead of carbonated.

DOH - I was misremembering an article about a "green" brewery powering itself from the methane produced from the process... but I think that must be from a separate slurry of the used biomass. When I think of methanated beer -yuk! Buurrrrrrp! blink.gif
ngunn
The methane is produced after drinking . . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.