Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Visualization of Galileo Juipter Probe Science results
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Jupiter
Dominik
My Question is, if there is a program or animation that shows the probes descent into jupiters atmosphere with synchronous display of science measurements (Like the Huygens descent video). I think that would be very interesting and if there is nothing like that, I'm planning to create such a programm (With Videos, 3D Animations, Visualization of measurements, etc.).

Thanks already for the assistance.

P.S.: I hope the grammar is ok because my english seems to be far from perfect, as my teacher told me wink.gif.
DDAVIS
When I made my animation of the Galileo probe entry sequence for NASA Ames (using 35mm film animation!), I matched the sequence lengths to the expected timeline for entry, parachute deployment etc. I always wanted to do a revised version but I would need info on the light level changes, nephelometer readings on the opacity of the atmosphere with time, and degree of swinging of the probe under its chute. I still have all the detailed Galileo references, from which I fashioned a digital model of the probe and chute which appeared in an illo for Sky and telescope some years back.
I think the ESA animation of the Huygens descent was the most information laden and effective use of spacecraft data ever put into such a visualization, it was well worth the wait.
Galileo of course had no landscape to unveil, but if enough info was gathered some suggestion of the changing probe enviornment as encountered during its mission would be wonderful to do.

Don
lyford
I was just about to chime in with kudos to ESA for that awesome video as an example of not only excellent outreach but also beautiful data visualization and scientific illustration, when I remembered that it was produced in house by the DISR team at U of A... unless ESA picked up the bill? unsure.gif Someone correct me please if I am being prematurely snarky.

Don - your comments reminded me how much I enjoyed reading your details about this on your website... thanks!
Dominik
Ok, seems that I have to create such an animation (Program) by myself smile.gif but I think that it won't be so beautiful like the huygens one.

I'll create that program in Visual Studio .NET with animations from Celestia and Science results from the original Galileo Jupiter probe dataset. I'll post a preview version here soon, if someone is interested in this.

Bye cool.gif
lyford
I would love to see this! smile.gif
Littlebit
QUOTE (DDAVIS @ Mar 19 2007, 06:59 PM) *
When I made my animation of the Galileo probe entry sequence for NASA Ames (using 35mm film animation!), I matched the sequence lengths to the expected timeline for entry, parachute deployment etc.

Minor caution here: According to the Doppler, the Galileo probe descended at a much greater-than-expected rate, which is currently attributed to a major down draft.

Likewise, the ESA has cautioned us that the current descent profile, based partially upon Earth-Doppler and partially on estimated wind velocities, is inconsistent with both sets of radar data, and they have not been able to resolve the difference.
belleraphon1
QUOTE (lyford @ Mar 21 2007, 01:05 PM) *
I would love to see this! smile.gif

I too would LOVE to see this. Could see bits of it in my minds eye when reading the SCIENCE papers.
Please make an attempt.

What an irony that the Galileo probe fell into one of these 5 micron deserts. We really need a Europa/Jupiter multi-probe mission..... with imaging!!!!!

CRaig
Dominik
I've downloaded the complete dataset of the probe 2 years ago but I can't find the CD containing the files. The old link to the Galileo Probe Dataset from an older thread of me here, doesn't work anymore.

Does anybody know, where I can get these files again? I've searched on the PDS site, but there were only two instruments of the probe available and what I need is the complete CD-ROM.

Thanks already for your help.
Dominik
Thanks, thats it. biggrin.gif

Now I can start, designing the gui for that program and bringing the text dataset in a better form, so that the program could read them without problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.