Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity's HiRISE 3D Flyover
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
SigurRosFan
----------
In one flyover, we circle around the 800-metre-wide Victoria crater, swooping down past a virtual Opportunity rover and into the crater itself, then skim over the dunes on its floor and climb up the opposite crater wall.
----------

- New 3D 'flyovers' let viewers swoop down on Mars
Pavel
The Beacon doesn't look as prominent as it does in Opportunity's images, yet the dunes on the floor are unrealistically sharp. I wonder where the elevation data comes from and whether the movie used vertical exaggeration.
djellison
It's from HiRISE stereo imaging - hopefully Randy Kirk will release a DEM so that I can do some HD res renderings of both sites smile.gif

(oh - and I think it was rendered using Terragen, the clouds and lensflare seem to be a bit of a giveaway)

Doug
fredk
I'm quite sure there's no vertical exageration in the Oppy movie (unlike Spirit's). Indeed, they didn't need any! I think the dunes look odd near the end because they're viewed from a glancing angle, while the imagery was obtained from above.

I think they did a superb job with Victoria's flyover!
tuvas
QUOTE (fredk @ Mar 14 2007, 07:21 AM) *
I think the dunes look odd near the end because they're viewed from a glancing angle, while the imagery was obtained from above.

The dunes just plain didn't work well with the DEM, at least, from the one that I saw (Likely the same one). In fact, I've been told the human eye plays the same trick from a distance, so I guess it isn't too bad. There was a quote at the HiRISE team meeting: "Victoria Crater is the Worst Place at Mars" (Followed in small print) "for Digital Elevation at Mars". It's just not an easy area to do it.
Edward Schmitz
Did anyone notice the little jig Opportunity does on the rim. She seems to move back and forth...

ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.