Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Envisat MERIC imagery
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Earth & Moon > Earth Observations
djellison
Credit where credit is due - the Envisat team have 'done a MODIS' here and are putting their imagery online in near realtime. Not sure when they started doing it - but it's band up to date.

http://miravi.eo.esa.int/en/

I managed to see imagery of the UK from yesterday, and I think by the end of today, the AM UK stuff should be online. The resolution doesn't QUITE match MODIS (it's close) but the reprojection of the data is much better than that from MODIS, much better at the off-nadir edges of the images. Excellent stuff.

Doug
neave
Thanks, good to know. It'd be great if there was a daily mosaic like MODIS have, at the moment it looks like just the odd image rather than full subsets.
Stu
Great pics there, thanks for the tip, I just found a gorgeous view of the UK - with, miracle of miracles, most of Cumbria-Twinned-With-Atlantis free of cloud - which will be a big hit in my space talks, I'm sure.

Looking at these pics, and at the ones on sites linked to in Emily's excellent Blog posting about Earth observing brought something home to me, especially when I was looking at some of the pics on the Dundee site, which are in colour but not 100% true colour - the blues are too blue, the oranges are too pink, etc - so they make Earth look a little, well, alien... It made me realise that one day, hopefully in the not too distant future, we'll all be here drooling/debating/arguing over the first pictures of an Earth-like planet seen orbiting another star. Think about that for a moment... we've all gone pretty ape over seeing lakes and rivers and mountains on Titan; think how it will feel to sit at our computer screens watching images of an Earth That Isn't Earth coming in, complete swathes of green forest, blue oceans, deserts and mountain ranges... Think what it will be like to sit here and see our own colourised versions of the images released to the world... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Anyway, it made me get all sentimental about Earth, and write this: Terra's Tale. Feel free to take a look if you feel moved to. smile.gif
djellison
Do you mean this one - http://mrrs.eo.esa.int/mrrs/images/2007/04..._image_0260.jpg (24 meg )
Stu
No, this one...

<I'm sure yours is great too, but can't look right now cos 1) I'm out to work in 15 mins and 2) I'm still on dialup, and those two things don't really go together... >
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.