Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sol 020 Outcrop Panorama
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
djellison

It's a biggie biggrin.gif
lars_J
Very cool!

Those larger "blue" rocks should definately be analyzed closer...
SickNick
With the context of the large stitched image, it's VERY interesting to a geologist. I can see both decimetre-scale crossbeds and centimetre-scale ripples (or wavy lamination, anyway). There are undulating beds on a variety of scales and quite a bit of sedimentological information.

As for the blue "peas" I see very few signs that they are in bedding-parallel layers, and repeated occurrences of lineations - like a row of dots. I think there are more of these than random chance would allow.

And I agree that there are some interestingly large lumps of blue - big enough for Mossbauer and APDX?
SickNick
Nah, cancel the non-random bit. I ran a simulation and it looks like random chance is good at making lines of 4 dots. A bit like playing "constellations"? I'll post a pic if I can work out how...

http://www.earthsci.unimelb.edu.au/mars/Random.gif
jmknapp
Also, the loose ones would tend to congregate in cracks and troughs and form lines that way.

What's up with the apparently segregated patches of light blue and dark blue berries? Is that real or an artifact of the stitching?
lars_J
It is an artifact of the stitching be due perhaps to A: different exposure levels for each channel of each section, and/or B: different light condictions.
djellison
Yup - blame the obscure filters and unpredictable exposures ohmy.gif Couldnt match them better than that without them being terrible

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.