Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stephen Hawking
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Manned Spaceflight
PhilCo126
British astrophysicist Stephen Hawking confirmed he wants to undertake a zero-gravity flight aboard an airplane this year as a precursor to a journey into space, a newspaper reported Monday.
"This year I'm planning a zero-gravity flight and to go into space in 2009...".
Hawking, 65, has said he hopes to travel on British businessman Richard Branson's Virgin Galactic service, which is scheduled to launch in 2009. The service will charge space tourists about $200,000 (about £100,000) for a two-hour suborbital trip some 87 miles (140 kilometers) above the Earth. cool.gif
Zero Gravity Corporation (ZERO-G), announced today that Prof. Stephen Hawking, the world renowned physicist and expert on gravity, will fly weightless on The ZERO-G Experience™ on April 26, 2007. The flight will take off from the Shuttle Landing Facility at the Kennedy Space Center in Central Florida.
nprev
What a wonderful thing free-fall will be for him, even briefly...to have at least some self-mobility after so many years...
dvandorn
I understand that there is serious concern as to whether Hawking can physically endure the stresses of boost and entry on the suborbital flight. But if I were in his position, I'd insist on the right to be allowed to fly even if it might kill me.

-the other Doug
nprev
Apparently he's going to ride a Florida-based commercial version of the 'Vomit Comet' pretty soon. Admittedly not nearly as much acceleration as one of Virgin Galactic's vehicles, but probably enough to make sure that he can take this sort of stress in general...I'm rooting for him all the way! smile.gif
PhilCo126
Correct nprev, that will be onboard a Boeing 727... For me this really shows that people with a physical handicap could work well in space although there's a safety issue involved for launch and landing.
nprev
There have been numerous stories in science fiction that featured handicapped characters who lived in free fall by choice in order to enjoy the freedom of mobility that most of us take for granted. (Heinlein's Waldo comes to mind). Dr. Hawking will be the real-life pioneer for this concept.

Hmm...If it was his wish, can you think of anybody more qualified to be the one and only full-time resident of the ISS? Imagine the world's pre-eminent physicist in space permanently...what new ideas might he derive from the experience? Not to mention the fact that his newfound ability to move at will without the pains that doubtless must plague him would serve to improve the quality of his life and inspire many others in similar circumstances on Earth.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.