Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: February 21, 2007, HiRISE release
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
AlexBlackwell
February 21, 2007, HiRISE release
Nix
As usual, some cool stuff in this release;

Here's a crop from the 'South Polar Layered Deposits' image, not a very clean image, however the crop is from an area where banding noise is minimal ( aggressive stretching and unsharp masking applied ).

Nico
bdunford
It seems like there is more banding in this batch than in previous releases. Is that a result of the instrument problems we've heard about?
tuvas
QUOTE (bdunford @ Feb 21 2007, 10:56 AM) *
It seems like there is more banding in this batch than in previous releases. Is that a result of the instrument problems we've heard about?

Mostly no, the problem is that the HiRISE calibration program isn't quite 100% yet, and this batch of image featured some of the ones that were more bland, which tends to result in more calibration problems. Also more noticable is very dark areas. These problems will all be fixed with the next generation of the calibration pipelies, with a program called HiClean2.

As to instrument problems, well, there is at least an artifact from the problem in the image Mound of South Polar Layered Deposits. The left part of the image shows a black streak which I've usually associated with the CCD problems. However, this problem can almost completely be elimnated now through the new calibration program (Which hasn't been fully tested yet, that's the reason for the delay).
centsworth_II
Those slope streaks are spooky! ph34r.gif
bdunford
Thank you very much, Tuvas. Keep up the good work -- we are all the beneficiaries of your blood sweat and tears!
climber
One of the best weekly release overall.
Thanks Alex for making our "wednesdays" brigther smile.gif
dilo
Using HiRISE Online Image Viewer, I took these amazing highlights from Northern Meridiani Etched Terrain (left), Beagle2 landing ellipse (center) and Floor of Ius Chasma (right):
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
I suspect last one shows a tumbling stone (or a secret rover track! biggrin.gif ).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.