Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: THEMIS
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Earth & Moon > Earth Observations
nprev
Thought it might be appropriate to start this thread. The five-spacecraft THEMIS mission was almost launched today, but has been slipped to 17 Feb 1801-1819 EST (2301-2319 GMT) due to unfavorable weather.

This mission may yield some materially important findings. Its objective is to determine the cause of auroral "substorms", which can have an impact on Earth-orbiting spacecraft as well as some ground systems at nothern latitudes (like aircraft compasses in Alaska...yep, I've seen it). Here's the homepage:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/themis/main/index.html
nprev
Launch occurred on schedule, but having trouble with the stream feed from NASA...vehicle is nearly in orbit as of 2309 GMT, awaiting separation of the sats.
climber
Orbit acheived, all nominal. Need another 54 minutes for next burn and sattelites release...stay tuned.
ugordan
Am I the only one who finds it funny the mission is called THEMIS, just as a Mars Odyssey instrument?
Have they already started running out of meaningless acronyms so they have to start reusing them?
climber
5 spacecrafts have been released = Success
climber
QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 18 2007, 12:16 AM) *
Am I the only one who finds it funny the mission is called THEMIS, just as a Mars Odyssey instrument?
Have they already started running out of meaningless acronyms so they have to start reusing them?

A sort of compensation for the ones that take two names : Topex-Poseidon for exemple rolleyes.gif
paranoid123
QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 17 2007, 03:16 PM) *

I did a double take myself, when I heard of this particular mission. But I just found out that "THEMIS" isn't exactly meaningless, it's the name of the Greek goddess of Justice, usually represented as blindfolded, and holding a set of scales and a sword.
John Flushing
Themis stands for Time History of Events and Macroscale Interactions during Substorms.
John Flushing
Scientists identify trigger for northern lights.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.