Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > Mars Express & Beagle 2
AlexBlackwell
The first hiking maps of Mars
European Space Agency
February 12, 2007
AlexBlackwell
Check out Emily's latest blog entry.
Marz
I was definitely on Emily's wavelength! 250m contour intervals on most of the maps! ohmy.gif

Maybe for an expert like Climber, that's a walk in the park, but even a 20m contour can hide some pretty spooky slopes, at least for 1G hikers.
algorimancer
Am I correctly recalling that Nasa/USGS was producing topographic maps of the Martian surface at least as far back as the Viking missions?
remcook
I'm looking at one from 1976, based on Mariner data
algorimancer
As I thought. I can't wait to hear them announce the first mapping of hematite at Meridiani smile.gif
nprev
QUOTE (algorimancer @ Feb 13 2007, 06:12 AM) *
Am I correctly recalling that Nasa/USGS was producing topographic maps of the Martian surface at least as far back as the Viking missions?

I never saw a contoured one, but I do have several of the USGS airbrushed Mariner 9 maps circa 1973-74...beautiful things, used to look at them for hours (esp. Tharsis).
scalbers
My recollection is that they do have contours. I should dig mine out if I can find them. It looks like this summary has that 1976 topo map listed:

http://astrogeology.usgs.gov/Projects/MapB...mars_small.html
Phil Stooke
I didn't notice this discussion at the time, so here goes...

USGS made topo maps from Mariner 9 and Viking data. Global maps were from very sparse and weak data - like atmospheric density estimated from occultations. Local details could be go from stereo images - very few in Mariner 9 data, lots in Viking. But stereo is no good globally for a big place like Mars (the orientation of the stereo model is not constrained), so topo was still poor for Viking.

Nevertheless, global maps at 1:25 million and 1:15M were compiled, and the 1:5M sheets had a topo version as well. For Viking, 1:2M topo was produced for some sheets of the 120-sheet series. Viking landing site maps included topo at 1:250K.

But only with MOLA did we get good topo globally. And we still lack it for the Moon.

Phil
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.