Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jupiter Images?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini general discussion and science results
alan
Caption says camera pointed at sky. Could this be Jupiter?
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...iImageID=101220
tedstryk
I am going to guess no. It is too "full." Also, where are the Galilean moons?

EDIT: Yes, I clearly see (and saw from the beginning) that it is Jupiter. I just wanted to see if you were paying attention biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif
volcanopele
No, it's just about right:

Click to view attachment
JRehling
Hey, if we could get HST, MRO, Cassini, and New Horizons all to image Jupiter at the same time...
volcanopele
The moons should be something like this:

Click to view attachment

Keep in mind that the pixel scale from this distance is around 10,321 km/pixel, so each of the Galileans would be less than 1 pixel across.
ugordan
Are the images deliberately overexposed (in which case what's the point of RGB sets?) or is this just due to histogram stretch acting up again?

Here's a shot of Jupiter taken almost three years ago. Two blue-filtered NAC images stacked and enlarged 5x:

The GRS is not detectable in the image because it probably wasn't visible at the time, Solar System Simulator doesn't produce valid GRS locations for Jupiter. Probably the texture map is synched to Jupiter's mean rotation, not the spot's rotation.
pat
Yep, thats Jupiter. Its part of a set of eight. A RED/CL2, CL1/GRN, BL1/CL2 and CL1/CL2 at lower exposures and then repeating at a longer exposure. The real images are NOT overexposed, the RAWs on the JPL site appear saturated due to the nature of the automatic stretching algorithm used.
ugordan
Good to hear that, pat. In fact, this might be one of the first times Cassini's narrow-angle camera used a RED filter on Jupiter. It's going to make a neat, if somewhat unremarkable image product.
volcanopele
An RGB composite has been released on the CICLOPS site:

http://ciclops.org/view.php?id=2582
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.