Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HiRISE Clickworkers
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
tuvas
This program is opened to the public as a beta-test, just thought I'd pass it along. It looks like this will help the general public become involved with HiRISE Images.

http://clickworkers.arc.nasa.gov/hirise
MahFL
I am doing some now. Great idea, I did a bunch of Stardust at Home stuff recently too.
djellison
Brilliant idea and a great way of seing lots of bits of HiRISE images at full res at the same time smile.gif

The 'nogood' button doesn't work yet though.

Doug
MahFL
On the MOC images I think I am getting the same set of images all the time....anyone else notice this ?
stevesliva
A "no clue" button would help... so would popping the "how sure are you?" radio buttons up where they are easily accessible w/o scrolling the left frame.
MarkL
There are quite a few repeat images and a lot of black ones from the edges. I came across a couple of pieces of Victoria Crater.

Perhaps it's just in Beta??? smile.gif
OWW
A Yardang option would be nice
tuvas
QUOTE (MarkL @ Feb 7 2007, 11:04 AM) *
There are quite a few repeat images and a lot of black ones from the edges. I came across a couple of pieces of Victoria Crater.

Perhaps it's just in Beta??? smile.gif

There are 3 different pictures that have been taken of Victoria Crater.

As to suggestion requests, well, there is a tool for doing so that exists, but only the team (And not even all of the members of the team (Meaning me)) have access to it. But soon it will be released to the public, pending the final testing of our systems. I would guess it will be up within the next month.

I know almost as much about the site as you guys (I had no idea it existed until this morning, but I saw it was a public beta and though of some good public beta testers around...), but I would recommend that you send all comments to the email in the contact us section.
CosmicRocker
Far out! I was wondering how you folks would deal with the onslaught of imagery. But have you figured out how to deal with the onslaught of onslaughts once this link becomes common knowledge?
DataMiner
QUOTE (tuvas @ Feb 7 2007, 05:49 PM) *
As to suggestion requests, well, there is a tool for doing so that exists, but only the team (And not even all of the members of the team (Meaning me)) have access to it. But soon it will be released to the public, pending the final testing of our systems. I would guess it will be up within the next month.

I think the time frame of a month is unlikely. It could happen, but I doubt it. There is still some additional testing that needs to be done and a few other things need to happen on our test-bed before we can even begin the final phase of testing. So within the next month is pretty optimistic. It's coming along, but we're not that close to a release.
DFinfrock
I went through about 25 MRO images in my first attempt. Most of them are fairly simple, but some are challenging. Trying to decide which category to choose for some views is similar to deciding if an orbiting rocky body is a planet, a dwarf planet or an asteroid. smile.gif

Once this is running in its final version, Emily should promote it on the TPS web page.

David
hendric
The first click seems to put a small stamp, with the successive clicks putting down a large stamp. It would be nice to be able to see where exactly the stamp would land as well, either by changing the pointer somehow or letting you drag the stamp until you let go of the button.

Also, the "delete" button doesn't work, or the "confidence" radio buttons.

I would suggest putting the buttons in a frame seperate from the "you have marked" stuff, so you can update items without scrolling around.
tuvas
QUOTE (DataMiner @ Feb 8 2007, 04:32 PM) *
I think the time frame of a month is unlikely. It could happen, but I doubt it. There is still some additional testing that needs to be done and a few other things need to happen on our test-bed before we can even begin the final phase of testing. So within the next month is pretty optimistic. It's coming along, but we're not that close to a release.

Good to know. HiWeb seems to be one of those things like cold fusion will always be ready in x amount of time (HiView as well).
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (tuvas @ Feb 7 2007, 06:12 AM) *
HiRISE Clickworkers, Help test HiRISE EPO software

Tuvas, who came up with that awful name, "clickworkers?" I bet no one ran it by the P.R. people. Clickworkers evokes images of a rows upon rows of oppressed indentured servants in a 19th century factory setting, toiling away their days in misery.
djellison
It's been around for a while - I rememebr clickworking my way through a LOT of crater identification a few years ago.

Doug
Zvezdichko
Just a quick note - this doesn't work with all browsers (I'm not a Microsoft user). Maybe it's IE optimised.
djellison
Fine under Firefox for me.

Doug
elakdawalla
QUOTE (DFinfrock @ Feb 8 2007, 04:51 PM) *
Once this is running in its final version, Emily should promote it on the TPS web page.
Gladly smile.gif

--Emily
tuvas
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Feb 9 2007, 08:44 AM) *
Tuvas, who came up with that awful name, "clickworkers?" I bet no one ran it by the P.R. people. Clickworkers evokes images of a rows upon rows of oppressed indentured servants in a 19th century factory setting, toiling away their days in misery.

With only a very few exceptions, everything that is official HiRISE contains a Hi in it somewhere. The exceptions are mostly generic stuff. This one came from the folks at JPL or Nasa, just like the image viewer used during transition imaging. I know of the existance of most of the HiROC software, the stuff we are producing to do whatever, this one I only know what's on the site. Looking at the site it seems like it's been used by other programs. I only heard about it a few minutes before I posted the entry here (I figured it was safe to post as it's a public beta, and I just happen to know alot of people who would be interested in helping out with such a thing...) Anyways, I might pass this thread on to the person who passed the site to the list, there are alot of good comments here!
tty
Hickworkers? smile.gif
babakm
HiWorkers?

We had one of those in the computer department once.
tuvas
I think I would have called it HiHelp or something like that, maybe HiVolenteer. Who knows...
AlexBlackwell
What about HiHo (as in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs)? I'm sure our resident poet laureate can take the lyrics and adapt them to this endeavor, which has the semblance of a bunch of workers pickaxing away in a mine biggrin.gif

This is where the Internet and "collaborative" work sharing has benefited that renowned group of slave labor that scientists utilized in the past: undergrads/grads/postdocs.
elakdawalla
Unfortunately it's too late to benefit Tabitha (whose last name I don't know), the unfortunate undergraduate student whose thankless task it was to count boulders in the Phoenix landing site images. More than ten thousand of them. My wrists ache just imagining it.

"HiHo" -- I love it.

--Emily
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 9 2007, 01:29 PM) *
Unfortunately it's too late to benefit Tabitha (whose last name I don't know), the unfortunate undergraduate student whose thankless task it was to count boulders in the Phoenix landing site images. More than ten thousand of them. My wrists ache just imagining it.

There are also the (ca. 1980s) crater counting "parties," which sometimes involved not only imagery strips, stereoscopes, and magnifying glasses, but also beer and pizza tongue.gif
tuvas
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 9 2007, 04:29 PM) *

Yuck. I think I'm glad I stuck with HiRISE (About 6 months before I joined the HiRISE team, I had seriously considered working with Phoenix, I think I'm glad now I didn't...) Do you happen to know if Tabitha was from the University of Arizona?
GuyMac
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Feb 9 2007, 08:44 AM) *
Tuvas, who came up with that awful name, "clickworkers?"

I don't know, it precedes HiRISE at any rate and it sure beats 'Mechanical Turk' !
nprev
Yeesh... blink.gif ...'clickworker' is at least an order of magnitude less degrading than that. Tuvas, you guys should stage an Office Space film festival purely in self-defense...
Ant103
Ahem...
I began to "clickworking" the Hirise pictures. It's nice to see some croped images at full scale and put on features identifications.

Next word add to the dictionnary : "Clickwork : masc. noun. Analysis of picture by clicking on it. To clickwork : the act of the clickwork. Expr : "I clickwork on hundred picture this week-end""
CosmicRocker
nprev: You are really beginning to sound like the "real" Bender. laugh.gif
elakdawalla
Clickworkers was promoted in the HiBlog yesterday and now it seems to be down. Are those events connected?

--Emily
tuvas
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Feb 20 2007, 10:37 AM) *
Clickworkers was promoted in the HiBlog yesterday and now it seems to be down. Are those events connected?

--Emily

It seems to be back up now.

If any of you have places you would like to photograph with HiRISE at Mars, please send me the follow information, and I might be able to sneak it in.

1. Image title (IE, Gullies on Gorgonum Chaos Mesas)
2. Specific locations (Keep in mind that a HiRISE swath is only 6 km)
3. A more length scientific rationale.

Or you can wait for the public release, which I honestly don't know when it will happen.
stevesliva
So the GalaxyZoo site reminded me of clickworkers.

And now I find myself wondering how rare slope streaks are? Are they always candidates for HiRise? This one got me thinking:
http://www.msss.com/moc_gallery/m07_m12/im...8/M0802722.html

They're just everywhere in that crater.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.