Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Space Policy (February 2007)
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
AlexBlackwell
Traditionally, ScienceDirect and Elsevier offer free online access for one year to that year's first issue of a given journal. In this instance: Space Policy, Volume 23, Issue 1, Pages 1-68 (February 2007).
djellison
Shocking and frankly disgusting results from an excellent paper looking at school children here in the UK...

"When asked to list space exploration organisations 77% listed NASA. Six of those surveyed listed ESA (o0.5%). The
data bring starkly to light, despite the Huygens landing on Titan and Mars Express, the lack of awareness of the existence of ESA among
a new generation of European school children."

of the 200 kids asked to name an organisation that does Space Research - 6 said ESA, 5 said Area 51 and around 170 said NASA.

69/200 said Mars is hot.

This is why I moan about ESA outreach.

Doug
ugordan
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 5 2007, 05:51 PM) *

What ESA outreach? wink.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 5 2007, 04:51 PM) *

Doug

Doug, do you on your presentations talk about ESA's missions or are they focused only on NASA's achievements?

Maybe if each one of us started to give value and talk a bit more about ESA's work as we do with NASA, things could change a bit.
I know...There aren't raw images to play around, but there is lots of stuff to be discussed and I mean science not politics... smile.gif

Moaning won't get us anywhere... wink.gif
ugordan
To be fair, I don't think NASA rates so high because of their outreach efforts, but because of all the movies involving NASA that young kids watch.
ustrax
QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 5 2007, 05:24 PM) *
To be fair, I don't think NASA rates so high because of their outreach efforts, but because of all the movies involving NASA that young kids watch.

Good point there.

Maybe we Europeans could do an epic about an ESA probe that under Titan's conditions develops a conscience and wants desperately to return home, fighting against Methanius the Magnanimus pretorian guard... wink.gif
Littlebit
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 5 2007, 09:51 AM) *
Shocking and frankly disgusting results from an excellent paper looking at school children here in the UK...

"When asked to list space exploration organisations 77% listed NASA. Six of those surveyed listed ESA (o0.5%).

...A survey of US children showed 74% have seen Paris Hilton's panties, but only 1.2% know of Cassini photos of Saturn unsure.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (Littlebit @ Feb 5 2007, 01:43 PM) *
...A survey of US children showed 74% have seen Paris Hilton's panties...

They must have looked hard for them, I think they've been tossed on the floor by the time the video starts... biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
hendric
QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 5 2007, 11:20 AM) *
What ESA outreach? wink.gif

What's ESA? laugh.gif
stevesliva
QUOTE (djellison @ Feb 5 2007, 11:51 AM) *
"When asked to list space exploration organisations 77% listed NASA. Six of those surveyed listed ESA (o0.5%).

ESA gets hugely scooped by NASA in English PR on any joint missions as well. Cassini? NASA. Ulyssess? NASA. Beagle? ESA.
Phil Stooke
Don't tell ESA that Ulysses is a NASA mission! It's a joint mission, launched by NASA but built in Europe.

Phil
stevesliva
I know that, you know that, but do British schoolchildren know that? wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.