Climber, that's for you!

That's what I call paradise !
AlexBlackwell
HiRISE Camera Shows Mojave Crater Peak is High and Dry
By Lori Stiles
University of Arizona News Services
January 24, 2007
MarkL
The swear jar has got to be overflowing today! These particular images are absolutely exquisite. The frost covered dunes, the layered scarp. The gorgeous central peak. You just want so much to be there! Nothing else matches what this incredible instrument has provided us with in terms of being able to visualize such a range of landscapes on another planet.

It seems crazy to complain but I often get lost in the scale of these images. It is difficult to judge the topography and how the terrain fits in the larger context of the region. Just how high is that scarp?

Now where are those image tools we were promised by Tuvas?
tuvas
QUOTE (MarkL @ Jan 24 2007, 12:30 PM) *
Now where are those image tools we were promised by Tuvas?

Still forthcoming, I can't go into too much detail,but let's just say there was a large series of unfortunate events that have resulted in HiView being delayed. But with a bit of luck, it'll be into at least alpha-testing in the next few weeks, internal to the team, and I imagine shortly thereafter it'll be released either as a beta or just full-blown to the public.
MarkL
Hey no pressure! Just give us what we need! Seriously I am in total awe.
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (MarkL @ Jan 24 2007, 09:36 AM) *
Hey no pressure! Just give us what we need! Seriously I am in total awe.

Hey, you left out: "WE'RE NOT WORTHY, O GREAT ONE!" cool.gif
OWW
I assume that for every HiRise image taken, there is a context image? So....why are there dozens and dozens and dozens of HiRise images, but only 5 CTX images available?

http://www.msss.com/mro/ctx/images/index.html

It looks like the whole msss site died along with MGS... sad.gif
tuvas
QUOTE (OWW @ Jan 24 2007, 12:54 PM) *
I assume that for every HiRise image taken, there is a context image? So....why are there dozens and dozens and dozens of HiRise images, but only 5 CTX images available?

http://www.msss.com/mro/ctx/images/index.html

It looks like the whole msss site died along with MGS... sad.gif

There isn't a CTX for every HiRISE image, although there is quite a few... MSSS is just a bit slower about releasing their data, that's all there is to it. They are allowed quite a bit of time to release their data, on the order of 6 months or so...
djellison
HiRISE is the tax payers peoples camera- and the policy has always been to try and get the pictures out on the web as quickly as possible. Given the size of the products, the challenge in putting them together, and the nightmare of hosting dozens if not hundreds of 1Gig+ JP2's - I think the HiWeb team is doing an outstanding job.

MARCI and CTX have never claimed to subscribe to the peoples camera philosophy and are doing basically, 'the norm'. The very occasional release, plus dumping everything to the PDS in, I presume, six month chunks - six months in arrears. (i.e. Sept '07 will see the release of Sept '06 to March '07 images )

I know money is usually very tight for outreach etc - but it's a bit dissapointing to see the number of science orbit MARCI images released stuck firmly at 1 - that single image released a quarter of a year ago.

Doug
tuvas
By the way, you might not want to use the term HiWeb Team, as HiWeb is a product under development that is the second product that has been repeatedly promised, but never released, that will allow for one to request locations of images to be taken on the surface of Mars with HiRISE. One of these days it'll come around, but, well, yah...
djellison
Doh, Hi could I forget.

Doug
Nix
Here's a crop of those awesome Mojave Crater peaks with the gigantic (~15 meter-sized rocks tumbling down);

Nico
djellison
Not sure if it's a calibration or reprojection issue - but there's something of a corduroy effect in there, especially in darker areas. Very very cool image though smile.gif

Doug
Nix
Yeah, there's some nasty banding in the shadowed areas.
I guess it's related to the compression and/or 'leveling' of underexposed areas; too few bits used to represent the dark tones.

Nico
Ant103
Incredible landscape. Thanks Nico for the -big- crop. It's astounding ohmy.gif. The rocks are very big.
Imagine one of these falling on an truck... bwoo ph34r.gif
CosmicRocker
Hi, Y'all. Ok, I give up. I thought the HiPOD was a good idea, but apparently most everyone else prefers a separate thread for each release. Leaving many gigabytes of dusty imagery behind, my favorite from Release 10 was Eroding Layers in an Impact Crater. This one would be pretty spectacular to a geomorphologist.

Much of the full jp2 is worthy for designation as a national park, or some such thing. A somewhat less spectacular area that caught my eye was an area where differential erosion over time created adjacent polygonal blocks that are expressed as both positive and negative geomorphic features. Here is a context image and a close-up.
Click to view attachment
djellison
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jan 29 2007, 06:28 AM) *
Hi, Y'all. Ok, I give up. I thought the HiPOD was a good idea,

Well - unless you intend to only have the one thread for the best bits of HiRISE images for the next decade.....'per release' makes a LOT more sense smile.gif

Also - just cropping out sections because they are 'nice' is extra server storage that is getting consumed very rapidly.

Doug
CosmicRocker
Doug: If you are suggesting that there is new guidance regarding the posting of images and the conservation of server space, maybe you could add that to the "forum rules." I have always tried to conform to the "understood policy" of using links to images on outside servers whenever possible, and only posting images directly to the forum that I think have "value added."

On a new subject, I found this article today that some might like. I didn't realize this magazine existed until it appeared in one of my running news searches. AdvancedImagingPro.com recently did a piece on the HiRise imaging system. It is too short, but it contained some details I had not found elsewhere.
djellison
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Jan 30 2007, 06:50 AM) *
Doug: If you are suggesting that there is new guidance regarding the posting of images and the conservation of server space,

There has always been a reliance on common sense. Blindly posting image just for the sake of it is a silly thing to do full stop. I have said in UMSF previously - if you have alternate hosting options to attaching at UMSF - use them.

Furthermore, I don't think more than a tiny percentage of the people here realise that every image attached has to be backed up. The uploads folder is now so large that I have to ask the hosts to zip it up and put it in the root so I can download it manually, not the work of a moment when it weighs in at 2.5 Gig. This means that instead of a weekly backup - the uploads folder is usually backed up monthly. Whereas the DB itself is done weekly.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.