Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RADAR Release - Jan. 11, 2007
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
volcanopele
The RADAR Team has released two images today. The first is the entire T16 RADAR swath at 128 pixels per degree. This swath includes many of the lakes they have observed thus far as well as a ridge that seems to be eroding away via deeply incised channels.

The other release is the first that I have seen that highlights the differences observed between two swaths over the same area. In this case, RADAR observed an area in southeastern Senkyo on T8 and T21, revealing changes in the landscape due to differences in illumination direction. Such comparisons are currently available in several areas, including portions of the east (right) end of the T16 swath (with T18), and portions of the west end (left), including some lakes, with T19.

These releases can be seen at:

Titan (T16) Viewed by Cassini's Radar - July 22, 2006
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA09112

Two Sides of Dunes
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA09111
Big_Gazza
Good Lord! That was well worth the wait! biggrin.gif

Excellent track, even better than the equatorial Xanadu pass (which my previous favorite). The variety of landforms is quite astonishing, in particular the patch of intensely furrowed terrain towards the western end. The eastern border of this area suggests to me that it has been partly covered by some kind of flow, either cryovolcanic, or (more likely?) deposits from upland erosion.

Cheers, and well done to all concerned!
JTN
For what it's worth, I've Zoomified all the full Radar SAR swaths I know about here (including T16).

I did this for my own entertainment, but perhaps someone else here will benefit. Please don't disseminate the URL widely for the same reasons as with the HiRISE images (although those didn't produce a noticeable spike of load on my host, so I'm cautiously optimistic).

Anyone know where the full T12 swath has got to, BTW? (I tried poking at the Planetary Image Atlas linked to from volcanopele's page, but it was beyond my puny comprehension.)
ngunn
Hey! That's brilliant. I hope you can leave this up.
Juramike
That is waaay cool. Thank you very much.

This could the the forerunner of Google Titan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.