Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NASA goes metric
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Exploration Strategy
climber
From Space.com
Nasa goes metric :
http://www.space.com/news/070108_moon_metric.html

Hope they'll not kill our favorites like :Football fields, pools volume, cel-phone size. OK, don't get me started.
That's good news anyway.
nprev
About time, too. I always thought that "feet per second" was a ridiculous & cumbersome way to describe spacecraft velocity, to say nothing of the unnecessary complication of converting these units in base 12 (or worse) for other applications. Just a bit disgusted that it took almost eight years after the loss of MCO to do this.
GravityWaves
Yeah I remember when the Lockheed Martin Mars lander got lost
stevesliva
QUOTE (climber @ Jan 8 2007, 09:50 PM) *
Hope they'll not kill our favorites like :Football fields, pools volume, cel-phone size.

Those are the journalist system of measure... a system in which neither metric or imperial units will do:
http://www.unsoughtinput.com/index.php/200...-metric-system/

And I must add:
Energy -- Hiroshima Bombs
Mass -- Elephants, Whales, Jupiters
dilo
Hey, remember that there are only 6 billions people that do not live in US and most of them don't know how much is big a Football Field or Manatthan Island...
I propose pizza as the unit of measure of lenght, mass and volume. Should be more universal!
ElkGroveDan
Good move by NASA. You know what they say, 28.35 grams of prevention is worth 0.45 kilograms of cure.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (dilo @ Feb 28 2007, 01:47 PM) *
I propose pizza as the unit of measure of lenght, mass and volume. Should be more universal!

..and a larger unit would be a gondola or a Ferrari, right?
dilo
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Mar 1 2007, 12:47 AM) *
..and a larger unit would be a gondola or a Ferrari, right?

Exactly! though you have to specify which model of Ferrari... wink.gif biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.