Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Top 10 signs you might be a HiAddict if...
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
tuvas
In no particular order.

1. You find yourself saying stuff like 256 million pixels. Bah. That's not that much data...
2. You realize that any part of Mars can be interesting, if viewed at sufficient resolution.
3. You start to see in black and which away from the "Center strip" of your eyes.
4. You have decided to buy a 100+ Gbyte harddrive just to store your favorite HiRISE Images.
5. Your monitor only has 1600x1200 resolution, and you're considering getting a new one just to see more of the HiRISE Images.
6. You've ever heard of JPEG 2000.
7. You start throwing the word Hi at the begining of words (HiAlarm, HiPeople, HiWords, HiMate, etc)
8. You grow excited for each Wednesday, and prepare to download more HiPictures that day.
9. You've ever had a debate with someone about the complexities of imagine a spacecraft from another spacecraft in orbit around another planet.
10. You expect some day we'll know the truth about Beagle 2, MPL, and the final location of Sojourner, and possibly the Russian Mars landers.
Nix
laugh.gif

1; guilty / 2; very guilty / 3; guilty / 4; no comment laugh.gif 100+ is a joke cool.gif / 5; very guilty / 6;...guilty, guilty, guilty...

And, you wouldn't believe how frustrated I was not finding a decent .jp2 converter, I didn't check the Hirise site first for this (stupid I know).

OpenEV does a wonderful job.

Nico
Nirgal
guilty in all points wink.gif

Seriously, for me, browsing through those HiRISE images is the most exciting
space exploration experience because the sheer size of the images with the never ending
possibilty of discovering a whole new universe within each image itself *really* adds a
new dimension to online space imagery smile.gif smile.gif

HiRISE is a space dream coming true !
helvick
Yeah guilty as charged, on all count. I have to agree with Nix though; 100+ is a joke, I'm seriously considering upgrading past 1TeraByte at home now and it's you guys who are to blame. smile.gif
MarsIsImportant
Just my opinion....

You're missing the very Top number 1 sign of being HiRISE addicted.

1. You're reading this, aren't you!
CosmicRocker
Hehe, I am reading this and thought I could add a short comment. How about, neglecting your Christmas guests while you keep checking for Release 6? (I just caught Tuvas' tip. Most have been on Wednesdays haven't they?) Ok, I can wait while drowning in the flow of data from Mars. Gurgle, gurgle, gulp!

I am guilty on most counts, especially 1 and 2. biggrin.gif Regarding #4, I bought a portable 100 GB USB hard drive to take to work, to compensate for my totally inadequate home bandwidth and the previous portable flash storage capacity. Guilty also on a new count...neglecting to post a new crop in HiPod.

As Nirgal says, it really adds a new dimension. It's the next step in the never ending dream of discovery. smile.gif Merry Christmas, or whatever you celebrate, and a Happy New Year to all. wink.gif
tuvas
I'm guilty in most of these, although I can look at HiRISE images from work without having to download them, so the computer hardware isn't such a big deal for me. Everything else though... So far as I can tell, we plan to release images each Wednesday for some time (I see some here on the board caught the trend before I did...)
tuvas
Another possible sign is if you've ever thought a 100 Mgb file wasn't that big (Quoting from a HiRISE meeting today)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.