Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soviet Landers
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future
tuvas
Hey, I've become increasingly curious (In part to someone who stopped by the lobby at HiROC today), where were the soviet landers supposed to land? I've heard there's a large landing elipse, but where about is it? Just curious. Thanks!
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (tuvas @ Dec 21 2006, 01:37 PM) *
I've heard there's a large landing elipse, but where about is it?

I think this ellipse is about where you need to look:
aldo12xu
Here's a location map of the possible crash sites based on Google Mars plots:

http://www.marsgeo.com/Exploration.html
tuvas
Elk: Thanks, I really was wondering about that...

Anyways, the website given was exactly what I wanted. I've now confirmed to myself that HiRISE hasn't taken any pictures by sheer dumb luck in the range where these landers could be. Thanks!
ElkGroveDan
If you find one of them Tuvas, I think I can speak for everyone here that we'd all be happy to pass the hat and get you a UMSF T-shirt.
tedstryk
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 21 2006, 09:56 PM) *
I think this ellipse is about where you need to look:

You got all of them except Mars 7! biggrin.gif
J.J.
ElkGroveDan: Best post evar! biggrin.gif
infocat13
Why that was myself lurking in your Hirise lobby.it was my birthday the day before and I enjoyed my viset a great deal.the big glass windows where you can observe images being processed is a must see for anyone traveling through theTucson area.
along with jonathen mcdowell of harvard university the history of science is of interest to me namely the locations of old spacecraft and upper stages that pioneerd the way to where we are now.

the mars climate orbiter was making a entry into a mars polar orbit right? (over the north pole ? ) I wonder if anything made it down to the surface......................................................
tuvas
QUOTE (infocat13 @ Dec 28 2006, 08:27 AM) *
Why that was myself lurking in your Hirise lobby.it was my birthday the day before and I enjoyed my viset a great deal.the big glass windows where you can observe images being processed is a must see for anyone traveling through theTucson area.
along with jonathen mcdowell of harvard university the history of science is of interest to me namely the locations of old spacecraft and upper stages that pioneerd the way to where we are now.

the mars climate orbiter was making a entry into a mars polar orbit right? (over the north pole ? ) I wonder if anything made it down to the surface......................................................

I'm glad you enjoyed the lobby. It's always nice to see true space cadets walk through there;-)

There are several spacecraft which crashed into Mars, as well as parts from other spacecraft, which we don't really have the slightest clue where they are. They range from the cruise support for the landers, to some upper stages of rockets, different orbiters that failed, etc. It's quite likely that they survived to some degree reentry (The martian atmosphere isn't really all that thick, it does well to block small meteors, but not very good to block the larger ones), but it's likely that purposely none of this will be discovered for a long time. It's fairly likely though that some day some colonist on Mars will be hiking away from the base camp and notice some nice shiney metal, which could turn out to be one of these objects, but that's about the best we could possibly hope for.
infocat13
QUOTE (tuvas @ Dec 28 2006, 03:53 PM) *
I'm glad you enjoyed the lobby. It's always nice to see true space cadets walk through there;-)

There are several spacecraft which crashed into Mars, as well as parts from other spacecraft, which we don't really have the slightest clue where they are. They range from the cruise support for the landers, to some upper stages of rockets, different orbiters that failed, etc. It's quite likely that they survived to some degree reentry (The martian atmosphere isn't really all that thick, it does well to block small meteors, but not very good to block the larger ones), but it's likely that purposely none of this will be discovered for a long time. It's fairly likely though that some day some colonist on Mars will be hiking away from the base camp and notice some nice shiney metal, which could turn out to be one of these objects, but that's about the best we could possibly hope for.

Indeed tuvas that reminds me the cruise support for the MER landers would have followed the landers into the atmosphere.indeed are the mariner 9 and viking orbiters still in orbit? early AIAA astrodynamics papers state that they are in orbits ment to comply with planetary quarentine rules( 100 years) but back then our knowledge of the mars atmosphere was poor...............................................beagle may have been done in by an error having to due with upper atmosphere density............
who knows ?
mars observer upper stage was targed away from mars but like the space craft itself there is not alot of knowledge of future trajectories for these objects.
will be driving by Ithaca new york soon maybe they have a nice lobby...............................................................
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.