Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HiSP - Your bandwidth
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
djellison
I'm about to switch ISPs from Plusnet to Vivaciti, both supposed 'Up to 8Meg' adsl solutions and thought I'd try and 'benchmark' before and after the shift - so I've tried downloading 4 files...not the whole thing, just enough to watch the speed settle and then cancel it. They are....

d) 19 Megabyte Navcam Image from the Imaging Node of PDS at JPL
http://pds-imaging.jpl.nasa.gov/data/mer2-...p1818r000m2.img

e) The JP2 from this page at LPL:
http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/PSP_001330_1395/

f) HRSC Tif from ESA
http://sci.esa.int/science-e-media/img/0e/...00_RGBN_50p.tif

g) A random PPT from UMSF
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_im.../mars_stuff.ppt

I thought it would make an interesting insight into various internet services to compare and contrast - so..

a) Your ISP and Nation. b ) The advertised bandwidth down c) Price, roughly, in dollars per month if it's a home service - if not just put "work" or "academic" or something.. - then the four bandwidth tests.....and if you're AT LPL or JPL...the results will be even more interesting and we can all hate you smile.gif Also interesting will be the European speeds getting the JPL, and the American speeds getting the ESA etc etc - comparing the intra and inter continental capacity.

a) Plusnet (UK)
b ) $45
c) Up to 8 Meg
d) 80 kb/sec
e) 85 kb/sec
f) 300 kb/sec
g) 75 kb/sec
h) 13 Gb Peak / Unlimited Off Peak.

a) Zen (UK)
b ) $35
c) Up to 8 Meg
d) 370 kb/sec
e) 390 kb/sec
f) 620 kb/sec
g) 375 kb/sec
h) 20 Gb
babakm
My shiny new fiber optic service smile.gif

a) Verizon FiOS (USA)
b ) 5 down / 2 up
c) $40 ($50 for 15/2 service)
d) 600 KB/sec
e) 630 KB/sec
f) 125 KB/sec
g) 630 KB/sec
h) None

Since the service uses the phone switchboard, the speed is not reduced if the neighbors are downloading (like cable).
ddeerrff
a) RoadRunner cable (USA)
b ) 6 Mbps down
c) $35 USD
d) 488
e) 603
f) 195
g) 541
ElkGroveDan
a ) Comcast Cable (U.S.)
b ) 6 mbps
c ) $43
d ) 225
e ) ?
f ) 135
g ) 90

That HiRISE image was giving me some wild numbers, from 90 up to 750, it never did settle down. Tried it different times over an hour and I never did get a steady rate. My server at work brings down the HiRISE images at a blistering speed usually at a minimum 1.5 . So whenever we see a new batch I grab them all and put them on an SD memory card (on my lunch hour of course) and bring them home that way.
dilo
a ) Alice ADSL (Italy)
b ) 2 Mbps
c ) $35
d ) 68 kBytes/sec (540 kbps)
e ) 85 (680 K)
f ) 160 (1.28 Mbps)
g ) 63 (500 kbps)

Anyway, I suspect speed strongly depends on the moment you makes downloads (now is early morning in EU and late night in US, so speed is good).
deglr6328
Verizon is offering 5 Mbps over FIBER!? lol, talk about a waste of technology, geez.

a) RoadRunner cable (USA)
b ) 5mbps down 300k up
c) $44
d) 166 KBytes
e) 190 KB
f) 140 KB
g) 300 KB
mchan
I am at work (USA) at 0200 local time so traffic is low.

d) 1.74 MB/Sec
e) 1.42 MB/Sec
f) 244 KB/Sec
g) 835 KB/Sec

EGDan, I suspect you meant your work transfer speed is 1.5 MB/Sec not "mbps". 100 MB HiRise JP2's take about a minute to download, right?
Rakhir
a) Free ADSL (France)
b ) up to 28 Mbit/s
c) $40 (30 €)
d) 305 kb/s
e) 375 kb/s
f) 630 kb/s
g) 85 kb/s
h) unlimited

Edit :
Phone and digital TV were off
Time was 1030 - 1100 am CET
And correction of the price (my conversion was inversed in my first post)
Nix
Speed is dependant on digital TV for me... when the TV is on, speed is usually 40% less.

Speed without TV open;

a) Skynet ADSL Plus (Belgium)
b ) 3.3 Mbps down / 256 Kbps up
c) 55 euros
d) 333 KB/sec - 2664 Kbps
e) 362 KB/sec - 2896 Kbps
f) 415 KB/sec - 3320 Kbps
g) 344 KB/sec - 2752 Kbps

time; 1100-1130 am

Nico
djellison
Actually yes - time does make a difference. I've added one more 'string' to the equation - monthly allowance of bandwidth.

Doug
odave
a ) Connection from work - Detroit, MI USA
b ) not sure
c ) stern talking-to from boss if there is too much non-work related activity smile.gif
d ) 135 kb/sec
e ) 187 kb/sec
f ) <inaccessable - gateway timeout error>
g ) 315 kb/sec
h ) see c )

time = ~8:45am, EST

I was going to do my dialup connection from home as a joke, but my wife wouldn't let me tie up the phone for that many days tongue.gif Unfortunately broadband is still considered a luxury at the monthly family budget meeting, and we can't get DSL in the sticks where we live (the price I paid for wanting to see some of the milky way yet still keep my job in the metro area). However, cable is still a possibility if we cancel our landline and convert to VOIP. We may do this in January.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (mchan @ Dec 21 2006, 02:03 AM) *
EGDan, I suspect you meant your work transfer speed is 1.5 MB/Sec not "mbps". 100 MB HiRise JP2's take about a minute to download, right?

Right. (though it varies) What's frustrating is that my image editing software at work where I have the best connection is relatively stone age. I have to go through a ridiculous amount of paperwork and approval to get anything new installed, and I'm not allowed to install my own at my own expense (even a fresh unwrapped copy I may have purchased for that purpose).
tuvas
My work connection (At LPL). I'm sensing a challenge to post these results...

a ) Direct connection (US)
b ) Very fast
c ) Academic/Work
d ) 3.7 MB/sec or so (It was too fast to keep it up for long, it took ~6 secs)
e ) About 7 MB/sec
f) About 200 KB/sec
g ) About 1.7 MB/sec
helvick
a) NTL Cable (Ireland)
b ) up to 3 Mbit/s
c) $30 (20 €)
d) 85 kbyte/s
e) 66 kbyte/s
f) 250 kbyte/s
g) 125 kbytes/s
h) 30GB
MizarKey
a.) SBC Yahoo DSL Pro - USA
b.) up to 3MB/Sec
c.) $25
d.) 275kb/s
e.) 200kb/s
f.) 175kb/s
g.) 90kb/s - don't know why so slow..been having some glitches with umsf.com
h.) no limit I know about.

tested at 8:20pm on a Saturday night
Myran
Havnt done the test but this thread made me interested to see if I get what I pay for so I checked with two free webpages and can tell the basic facts about my connection now.

Type: ADSL
Price: 11 € (Inlcudes IP telephone to regular phone network)
Download speed: 1,1 - 0,911 kbps
Upload speed: 0,255 kbps - this one have a limiter so its always the same, but I am missing one byte there! I will have to write them and demand my missing byte! tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.