Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is "diffusive heating"?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Titan
MichaelT
I just read an interesting article on "Episodic outgassing as the origin of atmospheric methane on Titan" (Tobie et al., 2006. Nature, Vol. 440, No. 4497, 61-64). It describes the evolution of Titan's interior and the resulting release of methane (3 episodes). The second episode of outgassing is supposed to have taken place 2-2.5 Gyr ago due to core convection. Prior to that Titan's core heated up due to diffusive heating which finally led to a thinning of the outer methane clathrate layer and subsequent release of methane.

Is the diffusive heating a differentiation processes within the core? What is it exactly?
It would be great if someone could help me understand it.

Michael
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (MichaelT @ Dec 13 2006, 10:21 AM) *
Is the diffusive heating a differentiation processes within the core? What is it exactly?
It would be great if someone could help me understand it.

MichaelT, did you get a chance to read the online Supplementary Information to the paper?
MichaelT
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Dec 14 2006, 12:39 AM) *
MichaelT, did you get a chance to read the online Supplementary Information to the paper?

Thanks Alex!
I had not seen that information. But, when I read "thermal diffusion" I suddenly realized what "diffusive heating" is. Should have been quite obvious actually.
So it is simply heating of the core mainly by radiogenic heat. As long as convection has not set in, heat transport happens only via diffusion. When the core reaches a critical temperature convection sets in and transports heat much more efficiently towards the surface. Correct?

Michael
AlexBlackwell
Are you sure you're not checking just to see if I know? biggrin.gif
MichaelT
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Dec 15 2006, 12:32 AM) *
Are you sure you're not checking just to see if I know? biggrin.gif

Ok, ok, I admit wink.gif

Thanks again,
Michael
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.