Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: December 13, 2006, HiRISE Release
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
AlexBlackwell
December 13, 2006, HiRISE Release
climber
Thanks Alex
Clink,clink,clink...
Holden crater pict looks like a Spirit's microscope stitched one.
Mojave flow looks like Huygens landing picture.

As said in another topic...we badly need some scale there.
ElkGroveDan
Holy smokes. That mojave crater image is my favorite of this batch.
tuvas
LOL, I even learned something, for some reason when I saw emails about Alluvial Fans were talking about people who were fans of the crater. Oh well. There certainly is fun stuff constantly coming!
Nirgal
OMG this is getting better and better :-)

blink.gif for me, that color view of the polar cap edge is the best one of this batch (one of the most impressive color MRO image so far ...
Nix
ohmy.gif Woaw! I love this image...Chasma Boreale red channel, 50% crop.

Nico
Stu
VERY rough and ready coloured version...

Click to view attachment
SteveM
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 13 2006, 06:47 PM) *
VERY rough and ready coloured version...
I appreciate the effort, but colorizing an image that is already available in false color seems to be gilding the lily. cool.gif

Steve
Stu
Unless I've misinterpreted the use of the word "false" I'm sure those layers aren't really such a vivid blue... wink.gif If they are, then I'm sure someone will tell me, and I'll give suitably grovelling apologies.
Nirgal
QUOTE (Steve @ Dec 14 2006, 04:12 AM) *
I appreciate the effort, but colorizing an image that is already seems to be gilding the lily. cool.gif

Steve

As I understand it, Stu's image is not meant to be a "colorization" in the narrow sense, but rather a color correction / color re-balancing to bring the false colors more in the range of the more "natural" Mars color spectrum (similar to what, e.g. Don Davis has done with some of the MO Themis images)

smile.gif
Stu
Thanks Nirgal, that's exactly what I was trying to say but couldn't be bothered to didn't have the time to... wink.gif
vikingmars
smile.gif Herewith my own interpretations of what would be the real colors to be seen on the Hirise images (sizes reduced to 25% of their original sizes).
Enjoy ! biggrin.gif
Stu
QUOTE (vikingmars @ Dec 14 2006, 03:54 PM) *
smile.gif Herewith my own interpretations of what would be the real colors to be seen on the Hirise images...

Beautiful Olivier, as always! Next best thing to being there! smile.gif

And hey, my cobbled-together version of the polar layers wasn't a billion miles off your masterpiece, colour-wise, so double smile.gif smile.gif
elakdawalla
A question for one of the HiROCkers (tuvas, RichardLeis, anyone): When there is a "highlighted portion" of a HiRISE image shown, is it shown at full resolution, or is it sometimes downsampled? For example, is the color view in the Mojave Crater image full-res?

http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/PSP_001415_1875/

--Emily
tuvas
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 14 2006, 11:00 AM) *
A question for one of the HiROCkers (tuvas, RichardLeis, anyone): When there is a "highlighted portion" of a HiRISE image shown, is it shown at full resolution, or is it sometimes downsampled? For example, is the color view in the Mojave Crater image full-res?

http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/PSP_001415_1875/

--Emily

Emily,

Normally when pictures are taken with the color CCDs, they are taken bin 2 or 4. This is done to improve the signal to noise ratio, which allows us to do fun stuff like see in the shadows of craters. The image you refered to is shown downsampled slightly, I can't tell exactly what it is, but it's . I would take this to guess that not every cut out will be full resolution, at least from the red CCD's point of view. In addition, the color cut out appears to not be geometrically projected, thus showing a slight twist from the geometrically projected version. You will notice that the location of the cutout is near the bottom center of the full image.

In short, the answer is that it in general not every cutout shown is full resolution, although they are usually chosen to be close to full resolution. I beleive it is up to the caption writer to determine exactly what their cut out will show. (Checked this statement quickly, and I have verified it). Hope this helps!
Nirgal
QUOTE (vikingmars @ Dec 14 2006, 04:54 PM) *
smile.gif Herewith my own interpretations of what would be the real colors to be seen on the Hirise images (sizes reduced to 25% of their original sizes).
Enjoy ! biggrin.gif

Thanks, Olivier !
I especially like your Victoria Crater coloring: much better than the official release.
I always like the pleasing "warmth" of your Mars color interpretations smile.gif
You even did correct for the slight color frame misalignments (that were visible as small
seams along sharp edges in the original)

smile.gif
vikingmars
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Dec 14 2006, 07:32 PM) *
You even did correct for the slight color frame misalignments (that were visible as small
seams along sharp edges in the original) smile.gif

...Well, Nirgal, you are still among the best imagers : you even noticed it !
Nothing really can escape your sharp "eagle" eyes ! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.