Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2003 EL61
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Pluto / KBO
As old as Voyager
Does anyone know when the IAU will assign a name to 2003 EL61 (Nicknamed Santa)?
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (As old as Voyager @ Dec 12 2006, 08:16 AM) *
Does anyone know when the IAU will assign a name to 2003 EL61 (Nicknamed Santa)?

laugh.gif I just remembered something. Aren't its two satellites, S/2005 (136108) 1 and S/2005 (136108) 2, respectively and provisionally named "Rudolph" and "Blitzen"?
John Flushing
I think Santa, Rudolph, and Blitzen are perfect names that should become the official names. Any god or goddess names thought of by the I.A.U. are likely to sound dry, boring, and ridiculous.

A good example of this was with Xena and Gabrielle (to me, those will always be the most appropriate names). Those names sounded beautiful, whereas the new official name for Xena sounds awful, and Gabrielle's official name (Dysnomia) sounds like the name of a chronic disease.
As old as Voyager
In case anyone is interested, Mike Brown says the IAU received his proposal in September but he's given up holding his breath on a quick decision.

Watch this space...
alan
Does Mike Brown have the naming rights? The IAU's minor Planet center has he discoverers listed as F. J. Aceituno, P. Santos-Sanz, J. L. Ortiz
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (alan @ Dec 15 2006, 01:43 PM) *
Does Mike Brown have the naming rights? The IAU's minor Planet center has he discoverers listed as F. J. Aceituno, P. Santos-Sanz, J. L. Ortiz

There is a little "controversy" here since the Caltech team (Brown, Trujillo, and Rabinowitz), while initially initially supporting Ortiz et al.'s discovery, later withdrew that support, claiming that Ortiz et al. based their discovery, at least in part, on the Caltech team's data. See the Wikipedia page for more details.

EDIT: See also these pages: 1, 2, and 3.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.