Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old friend turns up unexpectantly
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Myran
I had reason to visit Trondheim (Norway) a few days ago.

The biggest movie theater in this city covers most of a city block with entrances on both sides of the building, and no less than 3 floors of viewrooms!

Interestingly they have named them after the planets, plus earths Moon the four galilean ones around Jupiter and a few others. But not ordered by size or place in the solar system.

When there's no film showing the LCD screen display a small information about the planet or moon in question.
So I took a walk around to see how they presented our solar system, and when I found Mars on the third floor I noted one old friend. laugh.gif
lyford
Cool - but why is MER being attacked by X-Wing fighters? biggrin.gif
chris
This, of course, is why MSL is being equipped with a laser smile.gif
climber
What are you talking about : it's Mars 6.
ugordan
QUOTE (lyford @ Dec 7 2006, 05:57 AM) *
but why is MER being attacked by X-Wing fighters? biggrin.gif

The Force is strong with this one...
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (climber @ Dec 7 2006, 02:27 AM) *

No its not.

Myran
lyford wrote: Cool - but why is MER being attacked by X-Wing fighters?

Well its a cinema after all, so they've added smaller images or rather icons from various known films.
And first I though they were dragonflies, but you are right in this case its spaceships from the first Star Wars movie.

The connection with the smaller images for each planet or moon was not always obvious, as in this case.
The one for Europa showed one stylisized image of the cracks in the ice, one that must be hard to interpret for most people.
Though the image for the Moon, Luna got Neil Armstrongs footprint was a striking and nice one.

Whoever made these images certainly was a space buff. smile.gif

climber wrote: What are you talking about : it's Mars 6.

ElkGroveDan replied: No its not.

Please have a look at my image again - it reads 'Mars 6' there. What climber were referring to. smile.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (Myran @ Dec 7 2006, 08:02 AM) *
Please have a look at my image again - it reads 'Mars 6' there. What climber were referring to. smile.gif

I agree that the words say Mars 6, but the graphic image certainly isn't a Soviet-era lander. It looks a whole lot like a MER sporting a few odd appendages.

Here's another image of "Mars 6."

and Here's one of the Mars 3 lander alone, which would have looked very simlar to Mars 6.

climber
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 7 2006, 10:19 PM) *
I agree that the words say Mars 6, but the graphic image certainly isn't a Soviet-era lander. It looks a whole lot like a MER sporting a few odd appendages.

For sure! I'm just joking! I guess all of us here would made the difference between Mer and Mars Soviet lander.
I mean, if by coincidence the words "Toilets or Exit or ..." were on the image I'd said that.
BTW I like the way they draw a Mer as if it'd been a giant one on the red planet.
ustrax
QUOTE (climber @ Dec 8 2006, 05:26 PM) *
For sure! I'm just joking! I guess all of us here would made the difference between Mer and Mars Soviet lander.

What's a Mer?... blink.gif
smile.gif
Got a new Xmas present today...an anticipated one...The complete Sagan's Cosmos in DVD...
Great!!!
Lots of ours to go back and forth in time!
I just LOVE Xmas! biggrin.gif
climber
QUOTE (ustrax @ Dec 8 2006, 07:51 PM) *
What's a Mer?... blink.gif

We'd better stop it! All replies are OT!
Sorry with the discovery of water I wrote Mer instead of MER biggrin.gif
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (climber @ Dec 8 2006, 11:55 AM) *
Sorry with the discovery of water I wrote Mer instead of MER biggrin.gif

Of course. There's a big difference between "a notion of water" and "an ocean of water". rolleyes.gif (since we are playing with words today)
tedstryk
QUOTE (climber @ Dec 7 2006, 10:27 AM) *

That is an MER. It is Mars, and probably exhibit 6. Its shape is nothing like any soviet probe.
dvandorn
I'm about as positive as I can be that the sign was over the door to theatre 6 of the cineplex, and was dedicated to Mars. Hence, "Mars" and "6" on the sign. No intentional reference was made, I'd wager, to any Soviet probes to Mars...

-the other Doug
climber
Just can't believe you didn't get I was joking.
Actualy the simplest the joke the more it works!
Myran, I appologize for all the mess I put on you topic
Tesheiner
Perhaps it's not too late to add an emoticon ( wink.gif ) to that post, Climber.

biggrin.gif
Myran
Dont worry climber, I did understand your joke and had no problem with it.
This was after all posted in EVA MMU which is our 'out of topic' and less serious section.

And you got it right together with tedstryk, its theatre 6 also-named-Mars wich is found together with the others on floor 3 which was Luna, Europa, Mercury and Callisto.
In short somewhat smaller worlds for the smaller theaters on the third floor.

Tesheiner: Well I dont use smileys either since I dont do in when telling something outrageous in reality.

Sadly did I get some serious replies to my tougue in cheek posting about the Yo-yo reusable explorer. It was so embarrasing for me that I had to cancel my planned (and even more silly) follow up about the "Ping-pong" martian orbiter.
climber
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 12 2006, 11:14 AM) *
Perhaps it's not too late to add an emoticon ( wink.gif ) to that post, Climber.

biggrin.gif

Well, even if sincere, it's hard to apologize when you actualy biggrin.gif like mad...
climber
Myran,

I truly hope I didn't offense you. You know when something go awry go can either laugh or get annoyed.
I realy like the way each of us share something that happen to him/her related to Space Exploration. It can be a Museum, a person, an article, or basicaly anything. Please don't stop sharing your ideas, this is what makes UMSF so attractive.
All the best, and I promise to visit the place when I get there. I'm sure I will.
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (climber @ Dec 12 2006, 08:37 AM) *
Myran,
I realy like the way each of us share something that happen to him/her related to Space Exploration. It can be a Museum, a person, an article, or basicaly anything.

...such as a beautiful woman named Victoria
climber
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Dec 12 2006, 09:19 PM) *
...such as a beautiful woman named Victoria

The more this topic goes, the more we're OT biggrin.gif
You know what? I was on a flight from Tunisia 3 weeks ago,... and I can tell you that Oppy's next crater will be Saïda wink.gif
tedstryk
Perhaps Mars-6 had plastic surgery to look like the younger rovers biggrin.gif

Seriously, it is finals week, which means I have been grading all night for several nights now....in such a state, I am likely to miss a joke biggrin.gif rolleyes.gif
odave
...from the picture EGD posted, I figured there was an Austin Powers movie playing in the theater smile.gif Is that the ceiling being reflected in the dish, or did they really go with a psyhedelic pattern smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.