Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: December 6th HiRISE Release
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
elakdawalla
Oh, Lord! How am I ever going to keep up? sad.gif tongue.gif

The answer is, I'm not -- James, I think your HiPOD idea is a great one. Whoever downloads one of these behemoths and sees something cool, please share it with the rest of us.

--Emily
dilo
This one is really breathtaking!
Candor Chasma
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 6 2006, 02:31 PM) *

I guess HiRISE didn't like the idea of sharing relinquishing the spotlight for even a single day biggrin.gif
Michael Capobianco
QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 6 2006, 07:41 PM) *
This one is really breathtaking!
Candor Chasma

What about this one? Layers in Becquerel Crater. Amazing.

Michael
Pando
This may confirm that MC Escher was a Martian... smile.gif

jamescanvin
The layering and fracturing in Holden crater is just astonishing!

Here are some screen shots.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

James
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 6 2006, 06:35 PM) *
The layering and fracturing in Holden carter is just astonishing!

They're going to need to create a substantially more durable RAT for sampling down THAT sequence.
jamescanvin
And the Becquerel crater image is just beyond words! A screen shot doesn't really do it justice, if you can manage the 1.2Gb download then you really should get it. smile.gif

Nonetheless here is a screen shot anyway. ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment

James
Jeff7
Yes, Becquerel Crater. Crazy. 1.2GB. 3.17 gigapixel image. Crazy. Even Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will have a tough time keeping up with this kind of data volume.

And how about those dunes in Proctor Crater? How'd Opportunity do trying to traverse those? Forget about being buried up to its wheeltops. All you'd see sticking out the top of the sand would be pancam.gif
ngunn
At first browse my personal favourite is the probable natural arch in Tartarus Colles. Oh to one day walk (or rove) underneath . . . .
tuvas
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Dec 6 2006, 05:41 PM) *
I guess HiRISE didn't like the idea of sharing relinquishing the spotlight for even a single day biggrin.gif

LOL. This week has definately been a HUGE week for space news, including the positive identification of two lost Mars landers, the photographing of two others, very likely recent water on Mars, the space shuttle launch, etc. These are the days!
ustrax
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 7 2006, 02:35 AM) *

OMG! blink.gif
My favourite views so far...
It is all so gigantic! blink.gif
centsworth_II
QUOTE (tuvas @ Dec 7 2006, 12:03 PM) *
... a HUGE week for space news, including the positive identification of two lost Mars landers, the photographing of two others, very likely recent water on Mars, the space shuttle launch, etc.

And not a single mention of Cassini! It must have been a slow week at Saturn. tongue.gif
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (tuvas @ Dec 7 2006, 07:03 AM) *
LOL. This week has definately been a HUGE week for space news, including the positive identification of two lost Mars landers, the photographing of two others, very likely recent water on Mars, the space shuttle launch, etc. These are the days!

Yes, it appears that we are in the midst of the space equivalent of the bibilical "seven fat years."
Ant103
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 7 2006, 04:43 AM) *
And the Becquerel crater image is just beyond words! A screen shot doesn't really do it justice, if you can manage the 1.2Gb download then you really should get it. smile.gif

Nonetheless here is a screen shot anyway. ohmy.gif

Click to view attachment

James

Amazing! ohmy.gif

I couldn't resist to make a colorised version based on the Oppy color pic.
Click to view attachment

We are living great time for space exploration wheel.gif
tuvas
QUOTE (centsworth_II @ Dec 7 2006, 10:20 AM) *
And not a single mention of Cassini! It must have been a slow week at Saturn. tongue.gif

Guess so. There is a Titan flyby next week, other than that, it seems as though not alot of interesting stuff... Even Jason is downloading HiRISE images, of course, if you confront him he claims it's only to test his computer out;-)
AlexBlackwell
Maybe I missed this before but reading HiBlog I noticed HiROC has a web page (courtesy of GuyMac) "answering JPEG-2000 questions" for those who download HiRISE imagery. And questions can be submitted via this link.
CosmicRocker
Many thanks to all who are posting interesting crops from these monsters. After three failed attempts to grab one of the 1.2 GB images, I think I'll try something smaller.

ngunn: Thanks for mentioning the amazing (possible) natural bridge. I might have missed that.
climber
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 7 2006, 04:43 AM) *

A turtoise, a frog and a fish! Plenty of water there wink.gif
djellison
Kudos to Emily for finding THE coolest thing yet that isn't a Mars Rover.....

http://planetary.org/image/PSP_001420_2045_RED_bridge.jpg
from this blog entry...

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000793/

smile.gif

Doiug
volcanopele
QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 8 2006, 10:02 AM) *

Wow, that is pretty cool!
Bill Harris
QUOTE (djellison @ Dec 8 2006, 11:02 AM) *

from this blog entry...

http://www.planetary.org/blog/article/00000793/

smile.gif

Doiug

Not to detract from Emily, but wasn't the bridge first found by the HiRISE team and first noted yesterday by ngunn?

QUOTE (ngunn @ Dec 7 2006, 09:00 AM) *
At first browse my personal favourite is the probable natural arch in Tartarus Colles. Oh to one day walk (or rove) underneath . . . .
Stu
How cool would this be...?

Click to view attachment

biggrin.gif
djellison
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 8 2006, 05:43 PM) *
Not to detract from Emily, but wasn't the bridge first found by the HiRISE team and first noted yesterday by ngunn?

Sorry - didn't see that post - kudos to him as well smile.gif

Doug
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 8 2006, 07:43 AM) *

You're right. See here and here.
Stu
Colourised version of The Bridge...

Click to view attachment
elakdawalla
QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Dec 8 2006, 09:43 AM) *

Indeed. Careful readers of both this forum and my blog have probably figured out that thanks to UMSF I can sometimes be very lazy efficient... biggrin.gif

--Emily
Julius
I am guessing all those layers that we see are sedimentary layers made up of sulphate rock like the ones we have witnessed in Meridiani?!I presume we should have an idea now of the depth of the supposed lake deposits underneath Gusev crater!Right or wrong?If only we could have landed Spirit in one of these craters! blink.gif
Phil Stooke
It would be premature to assume all those layers are Meridiani-like evaporites or cemented drifts. Don't forget Home Plate, which looks similar but is very different in composition and origin.

And so far Spirit has found absolutely no evidence of the supposed lake deposits, so no, we don't have any idea of their depth, or if they even exist. An alternative story might be more like a thick mud flow (or series of mud flows) mixed with impact ejecta as the non-lava component of the floor of Gusev. Some water in the mix, but never a body of standing water. And we might not have even seen those mud flows in Spirit data, maybe just the effects of water seeping into the layered ejecta deposits. It's still not clear exactly what happened in Gusev.

Phil
Pavel
QUOTE (climber @ Dec 7 2006, 03:07 PM) *
A turtoise, a frog and a fish! Plenty of water there wink.gif

Interesting. I saw a praying man, a dinosaur skeleton behind him and an angel facing them both. Then I thought maybe it's not an angel, maybe it's an octopus or a Roomba smile.gif
Rorschach planet indeed!
Julius
Would CRISM not give us an idea as to the make up of those layers?
Julius
Looking closely at the bottom of sand dunes in Proctor crater,there seem to be dark toned spots which dont seem to be neither rocks nor darker sand .Any ideas as to their nature?
dilo
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 7 2006, 03:35 AM) *

Absolutely true, James.
The first one is really breathtaking, with dunes, orthogonal fractures and the abyss in the right/low portion.
Hope you'll enjoy this colorization.
Shaka
biggrin.gif Michelangelo! Ha rinviato! rolleyes.gif
dilo
QUOTE (Shaka @ Dec 10 2006, 11:59 PM) *
biggrin.gif Michelangelo! Ha rinviato! rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif thanks Stu, but comparison is a little excessive (and embarrassing too!!!)

PS: "rinviato" means "delayed" or "postponed", perhaps you want to say re-posted...
tuvas
QUOTE (Stu @ Dec 8 2006, 10:52 AM) *
How cool would this be...?

biggrin.gif

This link's been passed around the HiRISE team, you might find it interesting.
http://www.naturalarches.org/gallery-mars.htm
DDAVIS
QUOTE (tuvas @ Dec 19 2006, 03:58 PM) *
This link's been passed around the HiRISE team, you might find it interesting.
http://www.naturalarches.org/gallery-mars.htm

It's possible scattered light from under the 'bridge', if it is one, could be seen in the shadows if the dynamic range of the image allows. Bonestell painted numerous natural bridges on Mars, it would be nice to finally find one!

Don
babakm
QUOTE (DDAVIS @ Dec 19 2006, 06:36 PM) *
It's possible scattered light from under the 'bridge', if it is one, could be seen in the shadows if the dynamic range of the image allows. Bonestell painted numerous natural bridges on Mars, it would be nice to finally find one!

Don

I unsuccessfully tried looking for dune patterns in the shadow to the right of the "bridge" which, if consistent with those in the rest of the trough, could point to steady wind patterns through the area. I would expect to see piling of sand on one (or both) sides if it was collapsed.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.