Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spirit from HiRISE
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Spirit
AlexBlackwell
For those who haven't seen it yet, or missed the reference in the other thread, here is the HiRISE image of the Spirit landing site.

EDIT: I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread forum; therefore I moved it here. Thanks to Emily for spotting that.
elakdawalla
And here's the Spirit landing site on the installment plan.

First, Phil's map, for comparison, and his most recent update...

And now for the pieces:
Backshell to Missoula (1.69 MB)
Missoula, halfway through the trek to the hills (1.66 MB)
Halfway through the trek, to Tecopa (1.87 MB)
West Spur through Husband Hill Summit to Haskin Ridge (1.18 MB)
Husband, Haskin, El Dorado, and Home Plate (1.03 MB)

Enjoy!

--Emily
AlexBlackwell
Once again, Emily, thanks for providing user-friendly, bite-sized chunks. I think that's your maternal side showing cool.gif
jamescanvin
Nice one Emily I was just about to start looking at the route after getting the huge jp2, much more manageable now. smile.gif

I can see tracks at Larrys Lookout!
elakdawalla
It's fun to see how these threads evolve. It started in Hawaii and California; now James has chimed in from Australia; as the world turns we'll hear from Europe over my night, and by the time I get to check this thread again in my morning you guys in Europe and the eastern US will have left me all sorts of goodies to look at.

UMSF is awesome. smile.gif

--Emily
jamescanvin
And the tracks are quite clear coming down Haskin Ridge (the darker bit is the 'Steep Step', remember that? wink.gif )

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Dec 5 2006, 01:43 PM) *
UMSF is awesome. smile.gif

Indeed. smile.gif
jamescanvin
A bit further on, lots of tracks going up and down to Seminole, then south around Miami (Waypoint) and onto Comanche.
jamescanvin
Looks like someone has put some corrugated iron over the abyss. wink.gif

All the new streaks are visible.
jamescanvin
Arad

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
A close up of part of the "Promised Land"
jamescanvin
Tracks from Gong Gong to Home Plate with a bit of contrast enhancement.
climber
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 5 2006, 04:08 AM) *
All the new streaks are visible.

I notive this. If we didn't know when the picture was taken we would be able to assume a rought date by having closely followed the streaks evolution on another threat here : smile.gif
Spirit's landing site is incerdible rich in detail at this resolution.
Emily, Phil, Tim, James, thanks for what you've done (including VI & VII topic) while I was sleeping as Emily pointed out.
Tesheiner
Incredible detail!
While preparing the following picture I was just comparing the MOC image used on my route map with this new HiRISE release and, wow! cool.gif

Ok, back to business. Looking for the rover's tracks? I picked the route from my latest route map, enlarged (made it "fat") about 20x, and used its contour as an overlay to the HiRISE image. The rover tracks are, with more or less accuracy, contained within that contour lines.

Click to view attachment (967k)
helvick
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 5 2006, 11:48 AM) *
Incredible detail!
The rover tracks are, with more or less accuracy, contained within that contour lines.

Fantastic picture and a fantastic validation of the tracking work. Sweet.
Nix
Very sweet work indeed!!

I had already noticed the tracks around 'Methuselah' and down Haskin Ridge but you guys are great, thanks for the work and thanks Emily for the crops. Still looking for a suitable .jp2 converter.

Nico smile.gif
Adam
Is it just my imagination, or has the lander been covered in dust and dirt? Compare it to the opportunity one; perhaps it's different lightning conditions?

http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu//images/PSP/P...1414_1780_c.jpg

http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu//images/PSP/P...1513_1655/b.jpg
djellison
Well - it's a lot more muted, and you can't see any tracks to speak of for the first 200 sols of driving at least....and the rover is filthy smile.gif

Doug
MahFL
Yes its very noticable that the tracks get less defined as you go back in sols. I guess eventually they will dissappear from MRO's view ?
djellison
QUOTE (MahFL @ Dec 5 2006, 04:49 PM) *
I guess eventually they will dissappear from MRO's view ?

I would say those older than about 18 months all but have already.

Doug
alan
Here is the track of the dust devil that cleared of Spirit's solar panels tongue.gif
Click to view attachment
Marz
QUOTE (alan @ Dec 5 2006, 11:44 AM) *
Here is the track of the dust devil that cleared of Spirit's solar panels tongue.gif

Alan sure likes to live on the edge! Doncha know Santa's watching? tongue.gif

Nice work James! Could I beg for someone to crop out the section around "Pitcher's Mound"; is that a crater next to it, or a vent? I'm guessing a crater, since it shows the same layer that presumably makes up Home Plate.

The Chaos terrain just looks like a jumble to me, with no clear bedrock exposers except near the "chevrons" on some of the hillocks. So maybe it's just as well Spirit has a lame wheel and is taking time to check out Home.
MaxSt
Area around sols 60-70, before and now:
MarkL
Wow, just like getting my first pair of glasses! Did MOC see something that HiRISE didn't? Could the tracks have disappeared so fast?
Bill Harris
Incredible detail!
While preparing the following picture I was just comparing the MOC image used on my route map with this new HiRISE release and, wow!

Indeed, Tesheiner. This is a tribute to those who made interpretations and route maps using the fuzzy MOC imagery. Whereas the Rovers provide 'ground truth' for the MRO imagery, these new HiRISE provide a ground truth of a different sort for the MOC imagery.

Too bad we couldn't have had the MRO imagery from onset of the MER mission.

Again, thanks for the installment plan, Emily.

--Bill
Pertinax
Looking at the side by side comparison of the MOC and HiRISE image subframe brought to mind a couple of somewhat off-topic thoughts / questions:

Is my memory correct in that the MOC-NA images were roughly equivalent to the MER's L1 (clear) filter (~500-1000 nm)?

Was the comparison image from MRO from the red (~700nm (~L/R2 or ~L3)) or Blue/Green (~535nm (~L5)) filter? My assumption was red though that was rather groundless though.

The dust devil activity through the summer seems to do quite a good job at fairly evenly redistributing at least a fine layer of "fresh" dust across the surface. No big surprise here I know, but it I find the case of the disappearing rover tracks a nice and intersting measure of the dust accumulation. Sadly, with my brain being mostly mush thanks to the fog of life due to a newborn I don't have any hope of figuring out just how much dust that would be! I imagine between the L0, L2/3, and L5, MOCNA, and HiRISE red and blue images some estimate could be made?

Hoping I made at least a little sense -- Cheers,

Pertinax
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Marz @ Dec 6 2006, 06:01 AM) *
Nice work James! Could I beg for someone to crop out the section around "Pitcher's Mound";

The Pitcher's Mound is in the original crop d released by the HiRISE folks, but since you asked so nicely here is a crop of just the mound.

Click to view attachment

QUOTE (Pertinax @ Dec 6 2006, 08:29 AM) *
Is my memory correct in that the MOC-NA images were roughly equivalent to the MER's L1 (clear) filter (~500-1000 nm)?

Yep.

QUOTE (Pertinax @ Dec 6 2006, 08:29 AM) *
Was the comparison image from MRO from the red (~700nm (~L/R2 or ~L3)) or Blue/Green (~535nm (~L5)) filter? My assumption was red though that was rather groundless though.

Yes the red, look at the filename. I think all the greyscale images have been 'red'

James
djellison
QUOTE (MarkL @ Dec 5 2006, 08:29 PM) *
so fast?

30 months really isn't that fast smile.gif

Doug
jamescanvin
QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Dec 5 2006, 10:48 PM) *
The rover tracks are, with more or less accuracy, contained within that contour lines.

And for people looking for them: Just off the summit you need to look slightly outside the box. wink.gif The tracks are visible almost all the way from the summit to Haskin Ridge just below the lower contour.
dilo
Enhanced version of actual Spirit region... could be useful to decide next route! wink.gif
climber
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 5 2006, 10:52 PM) *
The Pitcher's Mound is in the original crop d released by the HiRISE folks
Click to view attachment
James

I find shapes amazingly rounded. For exemple, the depression on the right (East) of Pitcher mound show a very regular white line on its right side : it looks like a giant half cockle egg of a dinosaur buried there. Even PM is regularly rounded. Could it means spreading material from a center od each of these features ?
Tesheiner
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 5 2006, 11:03 PM) *
And for people looking for them: Just off the summit you need to look slightly outside the box. wink.gif The tracks are visible almost all the way from the summit to Haskin Ridge just below the lower contour.

Exactly.
The reason is because I had to shrink vertically the former route map in order to match the MOC picture with the HiRISE image before extracting the route contour. I used Home Plate and Comanche as reference points to do that operation, but the result was that the summit was a bit displaced.
Sunspot
Serpent Dune trench on the rim of Bonneville Crater visible from MRO?

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...7P1952L0M1.HTML
MaxSt
Small dent on the dune from sols 605-611:
aldo12xu
QUOTE (dilo @ Dec 5 2006, 10:15 PM) *
Enhanced version of actual Spirit region... could be useful to decide next route! wink.gif

I'm jumping in a little late (too many other projects on the go), but thanks to Emily for posting the bite-sized MRO portions! The detail and geological structures are amazing. What I find interesting are the circular to semi-circular features in the Home Plate, Koralov, and Von Braun areas. You can follow individual layers curving around Home Plate all the way from Low Ridge to the northeast corner of Home Plate. And within Koralov, the curved layers seem to have an apparent inward dip. Impact origin or another remnant volcanic construct similar to Home Plate?

Can't wait to see some structural maps of the area. Is this release part of an MRO stereo pair?
climber
Is that Arad arround Sol 917 ?

Click to view attachment
jamescanvin
Just north of there Climber. See post 9 in this thread.

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 5 2006, 02:17 PM) *
climber
QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Dec 7 2006, 10:41 PM) *
Just north of there Climber. See post 9 in this thread.

Oh yes, thanks James. Amazing, we could see the trace over the dune. Did you notice that a disturbed soil sometimes turn black corrected black-toned ? We'd better show this to Edgett & Malin wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.