Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New images Dec. 4
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
Nix
Whoa! very neat images..

Nico
kenny
Thanks for the pointers! Incredible..... Viking 1 is actually in color!
Rakhir
Wow !

Phil, you can now compare the Vikings positions with your maps smile.gif

EDIT : Congratulations, very accurate for Viking 1 !
kenny
A few hasty last-minute corrections to the Atlas, perhaps.... ?! Looking forward to it.
Sunspot
Some of the rocks around the lander might be visible - Adirondak?
kenny
I don't think that's correct, Sunspot. The rocks you point out are too close to the lander to be Adirondack, and anyway I think Adirondack is to the east of the lander, not the west. However I've no doubt we'll be able to sort a lot of this out now with these wonderful images

Kenny
akuo
I think Sunspot is correct. At least I figured Adirondack was the bright pixel too. Clearly Sleepy Hollow is easily recognisable in the Hirise image, and the very small hollow (with the "mud" as we might recall) is also visible next to the lander. We can figure the rock positions in relation to the hollows, and I think they match.

Also Spirit did egress roughly west and drove almost directly to Adirondack. After which it circled the lander counter-clockwise and started the joyrney northeast.
kenny
Is Andirondack really less than one lander diameter from the edge of the lander? I looked at the rear Navcam view but was perhaps misled by the extreme wide angle. If so, perhaps I was too ready to doubt those more knowledgeable!

Shiny heat shield from rim of Bonneville….

Heatshield from Bonneville rim

The heat shield impact left a black streak mark visible from orbit by MGS (2-view animation)….

Heatshield impact from MGS

Now it appears to have almost completely faded away…

HiRISE Bonneville heatshield

Kenny
Phil Stooke
Sunspot is correct. 1 is the rock Sashimi, 2 is Adirondack.

Phil
John M. Dollan
Does anyone know if they'll try to image the old Russian landers? I think three of them made it to the surface, though only one transmitted after landing (about 20 seconds if I recall).

...John, amazed at these new images...
tuvas
I've heard a rumor that one is a potential target, but I can say that it will be very difficult. Even more so as landers tend to land in more boring areas, to avoid big rocks (MSL will be able to avoid that, that'll be really nice;-) But I'm sure at some point during our stay at Mars we'll take some pictures that are in the landing ellipses of the landers, and maybe we'll learn the truth of them... Hmmm.
John M. Dollan
Any finding would certainly be fascinating. But then, all of these images are fascinating!

...John...
climber
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 5 2006, 02:04 AM) *
Phil

Phil, you're able to see details I can't. I'm not sure but I feel that at least one of the airbag track is visible. In the absolute, if they had not faded away, they could be visible because of different albedo, don't they?
djellison
I would certainly tick the box for both Sashimi and Adirondak...spot on.

Doug
Sunspot
QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Dec 5 2006, 01:04 AM) *

Phil

Being able to see Adirondack is good news....I think it means we should be able to spot the little Sojourner rover at the MPF site?
ugordan
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Dec 5 2006, 10:36 AM) *
Being able to see Adirondack is good news....I think it means we should be able to spot the little Sojourner rover at the MPF site?

Color would be even better as Sojourner surely has a different spectra to it than the rocks. Since MPF location is prety much nailed-down, getting the lander in the center of the camera FOV which has color CCDs should be easy.
BTW, kudos to the HiRISE team, these lander images are really awesome!
J.J.
I've waited a long time to see unequivocal images of the Viking landers, which remain special darlings of mine. smile.gif

Thanks much for posting, and mad props to the HiRISE team.
Adam
Wow, really loved the Viking 1 image with the dust-covered parachute! Great job releasing these so fast!
deglr6328
Gobsmaking. blink.gif Just what kind of resolution IS that on the MER A lander rock identificaton image? It must be approaching ~15-20cm/pixel.
djellison
Well - it's projected at 25cm/pixel - the actual image was 27.1cm/pixel

Adirondack was actually - about that size... 25 or so cm across, now - it's probably not right to say that adirondack has been 'resolved' - but it's certainly contributed enough to one or more pixels to make itself visible.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.