There will also be:
http://new.marsstuff.com/c/Conventions/2007
PhilCo126
Put this down in Your agenda:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/events/lectures/jan07.cfm

pancam.gif
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ Nov 30 2006, 11:14 AM) *

The second announcement has been out for a while, but for those who do not want to wait for a couple of more weeks for the formal program with embedded links, most of the abstracts have been available via FTP for several weeks.

Hint: access "Report.pdf" in the root directory as a guide to individual abstracts.
Stephen
QUOTE (AlexBlackwell @ May 10 2007, 08:40 AM) *
The second announcement has been out for a while, but for those who do not want to wait for a couple of more weeks for the formal program with embedded links, most of the abstracts have been available via FTP for several weeks.

Hint: access "Report.pdf" in the root directory as a guide to individual abstracts.

Some of those (this one, for example) look like more than just abstracts.

======
Stephen
tglotch
Mars 7 has a 4 page limit for the abstracts. That means you can write about 1/4 to 1/2 of a paper...or put in lots of big, colorful figures!
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (tglotch @ May 10 2007, 08:52 AM) *
Mars 7 has a 4 page limit for the abstracts. That means you can write about 1/4 to 1/2 of a paper...or put in lots of big, colorful figures!

The term "abstract" for conferences like DPS, EGU, and GSA has been apt; for LPSC, Mars 7, etc. it has long been a misnomer.
edstrick
The standard term for these is "extended abstracts". They are essentially "progress report" non-peer-reviewed short papers. They end up being excellent status reports on things that don't necessarily get professionally published (like the status of planetary cartorgraphy projects and interim investigations) and provide a quasi-real-time history of the field.
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (edstrick @ May 10 2007, 08:55 PM) *
The standard term for these is "extended abstracts". They are essentially "progress report" non-peer-reviewed short papers. They end up being excellent status reports on things that don't necessarily get professionally published (like the status of planetary cartorgraphy projects and interim investigations) and provide a quasi-real-time history of the field.

I agree that most of the LPSC-type abstracts tend to be informative and sometimes even interesting. The key point, as you note, is that these conference presentations are not peer-reviewed. It's true that extended abstracts often get expanded into full-length papers published in peer-reviewed journals like, say, JGR-Planets, Icarus, Planet. Space Sci., etc., but it's just as important to note that, for various reasons, many do not. And frankly, I've found that 10% of LPSC abstracts are iffy at best or flat out borderline kooky. That's why I never hyperventilate over the conference abstracts when they come out. I like perusing them to see what's new but I certainly don't rate them in the same category as a product that makes it through the peer review sieve.
AlexBlackwell
The final program with embedded links to sessions/abstracts is now available.
AlexBlackwell
The final announcement and author index are now available.
Phil Stooke
Tons of good stuff here, but the one that most surprised and delighted me was this one:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/7thmars2007/pdf/3136.pdf

in which we are treated to the first geologically useful earth-based radar images of Mars. Fascinating stuff with great potential...

Phil
AlexBlackwell
For those who might be interested, there is a nice summary of the sessions on the MEPAG website (335 Kb PDF).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.