Pages: 1, 2
ElkGroveDan
Thanks to Sunspot for catching this

http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/
tuvas
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 29 2006, 01:29 PM) *
Thanks to Sunspot for catching this

http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/

One of the images you will notice is a second Opportunity picture. It was fun to see it's movement in the few weeks between them, and the picture can be combined to do a stereo view. To anyone who attempts this, keep in mind that the angle of seporation is far greater than our eyes, so the cliffs appear very steep.
elakdawalla
Oh man...check out that Eberswalde image...I want the full size one...1.4 GB??? Yikes...OK, computer, don't fail me now...

http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/PS...1560/color.html

--Emily
odave
OK, I need the swear box for that Oppy image....and the Delta in Eberswalde

<clinkedy><clink><clink>

ohmy.gif

I'm feeling giddy!
djellison
Well - I'm giving a talk on MERB in Manchester next Wednesday....hopefully the JP2 will have downloaded before then....it'll be a close run thing though.... kudos for the guys at HirOC for putting these out.

1700 Gigapixels.....I need a new swear box.

Doug
elakdawalla
I need the swear box for this fresh gullies image...
http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/PSP_001440_1255/

It's "only" 127 MB, think I'll grab that one before I attack Eberswalde...

--Emily
Sunspot
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 29 2006, 08:45 PM) *
Oh man...check out that Eberswalde image...I want the full size one...1.4 GB??? Yikes...OK, computer, don't fail me now...

--Emily

1.4GB !!!! blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
volcanopele
WOW!!! Even I'm impressed by some of these. I particularly like the Ada Crater, Capri Mensa, and Melas Chasma images.
djellison
I'll have to make a new Swear box for HiRISE.....these are just too much to take in without getting a little.... 'liguistically primative' smile.gif

And don't speak nonsense Jason - you're just trying to butter up some people so you can fly one of these to Io smile.gif

Doug
OWW
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 29 2006, 09:56 PM) *
I need the swear box for this fresh gullies image...
http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/PSP_001440_1255/

It's "only" 127 MB, think I'll grab that one before I attack Eberswalde...

--Emily

I downloaded this image but ExpressView and IrfanView can't seem to read it. Corrupt file?
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (OWW @ Nov 29 2006, 01:02 PM) *
I downloaded this image but ExpressView and IrfanView can't seem to read it. Corrupt file?

ditto -- frustrating
volcanopele
QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 29 2006, 02:00 PM) *
And don't speak nonsense Jason - you're just trying to butter up some people so you can fly one of these to Io smile.gif

Doug

You bet!! Make it a framing camera, and you could achieve 1 km/pixel resolution even from a million km, allowing for some great volcano monitoring even from a distance.
lyford
*CLUNK*
This last set made me convert my swear jar to this currency so I can get it over with....
elakdawalla
QUOTE (OWW @ Nov 29 2006, 01:02 PM) *

Same here. Too bad.

A friend just recommended this J2K Photoshop plug-in:
http://www.fnordware.com/j2k/

--Emily
Marz
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 29 2006, 02:45 PM) *

--Emily

Indeed! Looks like a few areas expose a layer that's a lighter colored "mottled" terrain. This layer seems to span the entire region, with the canyon exposing layers.

I bet the MSL team is gonna have a heck of a time deciding where to land the thing! When must site-selection be finalized? 2008?

Question for the image-gurus: is it possible to extrapolate the color for the rest of the image based on the one swath of colorized pixels?
djellison
QUOTE (Marz @ Nov 29 2006, 09:17 PM) *
is it possible to extrapolate the color for the rest of the image based on the one swath of colorized pixels?

It'd be artistic guesswork at best.

Doug
OWW
I downloaded another: http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/PSP_001372_2160/
and I couldn't load that one either. Looks like they changed the Jpeg format or something. Irfanview says: Can't read file header.
djellison
Using the www.fnordware.com JP2 plugin - I'm getting "could not complete your request because JP2 file does not commence with a valid signature box"

Doug
GuyMac
It is fixed now, but you'll have to re-download. Apologies.

The download script was corrupting the JP2 headers. You can see the PHP error by doing `od -c ... | head` or with a hex editor.

I'm using this script because it allows us to symlink files from the data area (which is not accessible over the web) so there is only one copy of the image.

However, the php filesize or stat functions seem to take ~30 seconds on these files; I do not know why (ls is just as quick as ever) ... it is this issue I was attempting to fix and unfortunately copied over my test script with this release. Without the file size / Content-Length http header, the browser doesn't indicate when the download will complete and resumable downloads probably won't work.

P.S. Thanks to Emily for the email.
elakdawalla
And thanks to you for the quick fix...else I'd've died of curiosity...

Working on that gullies image now...

--Emily
jabe
How about we pool all of our swear box money!! That way UMSF can fund their own mars mission smile.gif
elakdawalla
Comparing the browse version of the gullies image:
http://hiroc.lpl.arizona.edu/images/PSP/PS..._RED.browse.jpg
to an image of the same exact location from MOC at nearly the same resolution:
http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2005/1...05.S0901118.gif
you can really see the difference between how these two cameras look at Mars. The HiRISE image makes topographic details much clearer; but you can hardly see the dust devil tracks that are obvious in the MOC image. Is this just because of the different orbit geometry? It's 2 pm for MGS and 3 pm for MRO, right? I wouldn't have thought that just an hour's difference in Sun elevation would be that great....

Oh, wait, stupid me, I suddenly realized how far south that crater is -- 55 degrees. HiROC helpfully included the detail in the HiRISE image caption that the Sun was only 5 degrees above the horizon -- it's winter down there. No wonder the topographic detail is so sharp and the albedo detail so lacking.

Interesting.

I haven't delved much into the details of the MOC images -- I usually just download pretty pictures. Can anyone tell me how to find out when that MOC image was taken, what the resolution is, etc.?

--Emily
AlexBlackwell
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 29 2006, 12:51 PM) *
I haven't delved much into the details of the MOC images -- I usually just download pretty pictures. Can anyone tell me how to find out when that MOC image was taken, what the resolution is, etc.?

Just look at the ancillary data at the bottom of an image page.

EDIT: Is this the image you're looking for?
elakdawalla
OK, this is genius. A friend, Trent Hare from the USGS, emailed me with a suggestion for a different viewer for the JPEG2000 images:

Anyway, we also experienced Photoshop issues trying to read the HiRISE images. I actually prefer using the fnord jpeg2000 plug-in ( http://www.fnordware.com/j2k/ ). You don't need a faster or better computer just a program that handles large images better. Photoshop tries to read it into memory instead of just displaying it to the screen. For these larger HiRISE images I know ENVI has no problems. But for those on a tight budget there is also a simple little freeware viewer called OpenEV. The last OpenEV build in the latest FWtools blazes through these images. The zoom controls are a little lacking though. And to pan you have to use the arrow keys (or the scroll bars). If you hold down shift, control, or alt while using the arrow keys, it appears it pans at different amounts. It also has a nice scale feature to view the image a 1:1 or other.

I just tested it, and he's right, OpenEV blazingly fast at loading and navigating the images. More importantly, it permits me to export downsampled and/or cropped versions of the images, which is what I needed photoshop for. Hooray!

Here's a piece from that gullies image...
Click to view attachment
--Emily
slinted
Here's a link to the OpenEV site for the googly-challenged. I've been playing around with it for a couple days, and it seems to be a bit speedier on my older machine as compared to the alternatives.
Sunspot
So who's going to take a shot at the ULTIMATE Opportunity route map? tongue.gif
odave
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 29 2006, 06:12 PM) *
Here's a piece from that gullies image

Wow. The way the dunes are zigzagging and the lighting makes the whole scene look reptilian - almost like a bunch of shed snake skins.

There's no end to the ohmy.gif from HiRISE
elakdawalla
Here's the Oppy landing site from the backshell through Endurance:

Click to view attachment

The little bit around Fram is nice:

Click to view attachment

Comparing to Phil's map, I noticed that the blast marks from the landing are gone...

--Emily
Sunspot
WOW......... ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

Thanks for posting these Emily smile.gif
Phil Stooke
The tracks are not very visible, but where they are they show up brighter than their surroundings, near Fram and on the rim of Endurance and south of it.

Phil
djellison
Stretch the hell out of it and you can eve see some of the tracking within eagle including the failed egress attemtpt at about 2 O'clock. Also - tracks visible toward and away from Fram - and around the Endurance rim...and the major slippage events near the rocks on the southern side inside Endurance are quite visible.

That there is anything visible at all after some 2+yeras is amazing.

Doug
Sunspot
I have a request to anyone that has the full size Merdiani image. In the original MOC image there is a very dark spot that looked like the Heatshield impact site only it was located further south. It forms a triangle with the feature named Vostok and another smaller crater. There was some speculation it could have been a recent impact site. Is it visible in the HiRISE image?

Attached a crop of the MOC image.
elakdawalla
OK, I've clipped out chunks of the Opportunity route into JPEGs that are all under 2 MB in size and hosted them for you. You can send your thanks in the form of donations to the Society biggrin.gif

Backshell to Endurance (0.87 MB)
Endurance to Vostok (1.97 MB)
Vostok to Erebus Highway (1.64 MB)
Erebus to middle of Etched Terrain (1.83 MB)
Etched Terrain to Beagle (1.26 MB)
Beagle to Victoria (1.2 MB)

Enjoy!

--Emily
ElkGroveDan
Wow (again) clink clink.

You can see still see the rover tracks below the south rim of Endurance.
elakdawalla
...and a flicker gif of Opportunity...

Click to view attachment

--Emily
Sunspot
Anatolia Fault, Sol 72, NavCam

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...0P1803L0M1.HTML
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all...0P1803R0M1.HTML

Did we ever find out what these were?
lyford
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 29 2006, 04:39 PM) *

Uh, I think I can see Wopmay from space in that.... mmbrgule...drool.... blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif
dvandorn
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Nov 29 2006, 08:22 PM) *
Anatolia Fault, Sol 72, NavCam

Did we ever find out what these were?

The only full-fledged geological analysis of the plains around Endurance that I've seen referenced anywhere seems to call them "materials removal features," or somesuch. From what I've been able to tell, they identified them as cracks that formed in the upper surface due to removal of volatiles (i.e., ice and water) from the substrate as part of the long-term evaporation process.

That does pose the problem of the lack of aeolian fill -- if these cracks were formed three billion years ago when all the water is supposed to have evaporated out of this place, why haven't they been filled with dust by now?

-the other Doug
Bill Harris
Thanks, Emily. These MRO images, along with Phil's excellent route map and Oppy's ground truth will make it possible to begin to understand what's happening in this Wonderland...

--Bill
ElkGroveDan
OK I found Purgatory. Starting with Phil's map (Thanks Emily for digging that up and hosting it ..the check is in the mail)...and then overlaying the vertical projection from sol 446 (inserted in red below). The geometry is slightly off in the vertical projection, but I guess that's to be expected.

Sure enough though there's still a bright streak there.
tuvas
QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ Nov 29 2006, 10:18 PM) *
OK I found Purgatory. Starting with Phil's map (Thanks Emily for digging that up and hosting it ..the check is in the mail)...and then overlaying the vertical projection from sol 446 (inserted in red below). The geometry is slightly off in the vertical projection, but I guess that's to be expected.

Sure enough though there's still a bright streak there.

I still remember Jason and I finding Purgatory one day shortly after the first picture was taken. Problem is, I know we used the ISIS file, and I'm not sure if the whole image was released or not at the time... Still, it was fun.
dilo
Thanks, Emily. Your croppings are really useful and animation is amazing!
I love this toy...
Rakhir
Thanks Emily for all your posts.
I am really impressed by the gullies.

I've just a little question. If these gullies are created by avalanches of fluidized sand, why don't we see some build up of sand at the end ? huh.gif

-- Rakhir
djellison
I can't tell if I got them the right way around, I can't identify one spec to co-register for a great image - I'm not sure I've done it right at all...

but it looks cool.
ustrax
QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Nov 30 2006, 12:05 AM) *
Here's the Oppy landing site from the backshell through Endurance:
--Emily

Wow!... blink.gif

Thanks for everything Emily...
Really impressive detail...
I'm sure someone can do better than me on this...

Eagle Crater

Backshell + Parachute

Wow!... blink.gif

+2

Oppy

Heat Shield
Tman
Yeah, you've done a great service! Thank you very much Emily! smile.gif

And also Thanks to all who clips images from the high resolution pics!
RedSky
Quote: "Over the next couple of weeks, the camera will target "all the easy-to-find hardware on Mars," McEwen said. That includes NASA's rover Spirit, the Viking 1 and Viking 2 landers, and Mars Pathfinder.

(From this article)
http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/daily/local/34249.php

Can't wait to see what's coming in the next few weeks... HiRise of Spirit's travels... as well as the Vikings!
(Wonder how MRO will resolve Ultrey... er.. El Dorado dunefield) After seeing the resolution of the lander in Eagle crater and the shadow of the PanCam mast on Oppy... think of all the features on these sites that we'll be able to recognize. It'll almost be like the first time you used GoogleMaps to get a satellite/aeral view of your house.
djellison
QUOTE (RedSky @ Nov 30 2006, 01:18 PM) *
It'll almost be like the first time you used GoogleMaps to get a satellite/aeral view of your house.

I know the 4 x 4km square of Gusev around which Spirit has roved better than a 4 x 4km square centred on my house.

Doug
Floyd
QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 30 2006, 05:44 AM) *
I can't tell if I got them the right way around, I can't identify one spec to co-register for a great image - I'm not sure I've done it right at all...

but it looks cool.

It looks very cool---and deep. Am I correct in assuming that the apparent depth is exaggerated due to the greater difference in viewing angle relative to normal human vision?
MarkL
QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 30 2006, 12:22 AM) *
That there is anything visible at all after some 2+yeras is amazing.

Doug

No doubt they'll be looking at Eagle Crater from orbit a hundred years on. Maybe even commenting on UMSF to mark the 100th anniversary! I'll try to be there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.