Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simulated Landers etc
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Orbiters > MRO 2005
djellison
Right - found a MER model, a Sojourner model, and fudged a basic Beagle model and Beagle heatshield.

If anyone knows of other vehicles available in VRML that I could drop in, let me know.

I've tried to simulate the lighting from that HiRISE image of Oppy at Victoria crater and worked from there.
Doug
Nix
very cool smile.gif

Nico
djellison
I thought the 'camp fire' gathering of 8 Sojourners was quite cute smile.gif As an experiment, the results match the HiRISE MER image reasonably well, so I'm fairly confident now that Sojourner WILL be resolved and identified.

Doug
djellison
I've taken a 3ds of pathfinder, added some crappy airbags ROUGHLY based on images...and rendered again at 25cm/pixel.....Pathfinder should, imho, be VERY VERY obvious and visible, without doubt.

Doug
ElkGroveDan
Doug, check that attachment again. Looks like you inserted an unlinked thumbnail or something.
djellison
Nope - that's the 25cm/pixel at native res....just not blown up 500 % smile.gif

I'm going to TRY and add a few other things into the mix.

Doug
djellison
Right - gone as far as I can with this...

Pathfinder lander, Sojourner at various angles, its heatshield, backshell and the chute at a distance from the backshell it would be if the lines were tight. A MER at various angles, the MER scale heatshield, backshell and chute again at the right distance from the backshell if at max distance. The Viking backshell, heatshield and chute ( did the Viking chute seperate from the backshell? I can't remember - anyway if it didn't - that's the proper distance from the backshell). Beagle 2 and heatshield. a 5m size crater 30, 60 and 100cm cubes and an 80m long 'stick' (used for setting the res right)

Rendered at 25cm/pixel and scaled up 500%

About as far as I can take it.....we don't really need an MER lander as we know what we're looking for and where....all I would LIKE to add is a viking lander but I can't find a freely available VRML model etc.

I've added a perspective view just to imagine how truely wierd this would be to see for real.

Doug
remcook
very useful! It looks like Beagle II might be a bit tricky, especially if it's not fully deployed. But I'm optimistic smile.gif
djellison
Tarted it up a bit with more realistic colours based on the McMurdo pan.

Doug
Bob Shaw
Click to view attachment

Bob Shaw
Gsnorgathon
Easy for me to say, but it might be cool to see MPL and the Soviet Mars landers added to the mix...
climber
QUOTE (Gsnorgathon @ Jan 10 2007, 05:49 AM) *
Easy for me to say, but it might be cool to see MPL and the Soviet Mars landers added to the mix...

Not sure they'll reproduce...
djellison
Had a soviet lander in the mix previously based on a VRML I found - appeared very similar to Bealge in most respects ( i.e. not visible )

MPL - I would add it (some VRML is out there) , but there would be little point as it is not expected to be particularly intact on the surface.

Doug
djellison
Found a dodgy VRML of a Russian lander - appeared essentially the same as Beagle 2 and I was so unsure as to its accuracy, I took it out again.

MPL - again, we don't know what sort of state it is on the surface so not much point in putting it on there.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.