Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Astronomy-related topics
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
PhilCo126
Just wanted to start this ' Astronomy-related ' topic with pointing out the LEONID meteorite shower of next weekend of 18-19 Nov 2006.
A brief surge of activity is expected begin around 11:45 p.m. ET Saturday, Nov. 18. In Europe, that corresponds to early Sunday morning, Nov. 19 at 4:45 GMT. The outburst could last up to two hours.
This means up to 2 meteorites per minute on average smile.gif
Clear Skies to Eastern US and Western Europe I hope smile.gif
Stu
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 16 2006, 07:35 PM) *
This means up to 2 meteorites per minute on average smile.gif
Clear Skies to Eastern US and Western Europe I hope smile.gif

Me too, living in the UK! smile.gif But we're talking meteors, not meteorites... two meteorites per minute would be like a scene from Armageddon! ohmy.gif smile.gif
PhilCo126
Yes, Meteor showers ... but as last month in Bochum - Germany, these could hit the ground and become meteorites wink.gif
Stu
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 16 2006, 08:18 PM) *
Yes, Meteor showers ... but as last month in Bochum - Germany, these could hit the ground and become meteorites wink.gif

I think that was just a stray, background could-have-landed-at-anytime meteoroid that came down. Leonid meteors are typically lentil- or coffee-grain sized particles of space dust, so none of them should actually reach the ground, as much as I'd love that, being a meteorite collector myself smile.gif I'll be watching any "outburst" from within the ruins of Kendal Castle. Looking forward to it! We even have a half-decent weather forecast for Sat night... ohmy.gif
djellison
Hopefully some dark skies here...... my new shiny DSLR needs a work out smile.gif

Doug
Nix
You bought a dslr? smile.gif Which one and how is it performing?

Nico
djellison
400D - and it's fab..... smile.gif My Powershot S2IS died at a time when, as you know, I want to take quite a few photos - so I just thought "sod it" and splashed out on something that will last and will let me invest in some good lenses etc.

Doug
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.