Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack Williamson, 1908-2006
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
edstrick
http://www.locusmag.com/

Locus Online: News, Reviews, Resources, and Perspectives of Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror
reports.

Friday 10 November 2006
SF Grand Master Jack Williamson, born 1908, died this afternoon at his home in Portales, New Mexico, at the age of 98. His first published story was "The Metal Man" in Amazing Stories in 1928, the beginning of a writing career that spanned nine decades. His work ranged from early space opera series The Legion of Space (beginning 1934), werewolf SF/fantasy Darker Than You Think (1940), thoughtful SF classic The Humanoids (1948), Golden Age antimatter tale Seetee Ship (1951 as by Will Stewart), and time travel series Legion of Time (1952). Later works included Hugo and Nebula Award winning novella "The Ultimate Earth" (2000) and its novel expansion Terraforming Earth (2001), winner of the John W. Campbell Memorial Award. He won a Hugo Award in 1985 for autobiography Wonder's Child, and his career honors include a Pilgrim Award for his nonfiction work including H.G. Wells: Critic of Progress (1973), SFWA's 2nd Grand Master Award in 1976, Life Achievement World Fantasy and Bram Stoker awards, induction in the SF Hall of Fame in 1996, and Grandmaster of the World Horror Convention in 2004. The Jack Williamson Science Fiction Library was established in 1982 at Eastern New Mexico University (ENMU), which for 30 years has hosted an annual Lectureship in honor of the writer. Williamson's last novel was The Stonehenge Gate (2005).

(see links there, including Wikipedia)

Williamson invented the terms "Terraforming" and "Genetic Engineering", as I understand, and was writing better Space Opera than George Lucas ever did, before Lucas was BORN. From the scattered occasions when I met him and from all I've ever heard, he was also one hell of a nice guy, as close to 100% of the time as is humanly possible, and maybe 100% period.
Stu
He also wrote a very good Mars novel, "Beachhead", which I greatly enjoyed.
edstrick
Arthur C. Clarke was probably enjoying Williamson's stories when he was 12.

Williamson was probably the last living significant (AND ACTIVE!) member of the real founders of science fiction.

He autographed my 1950 paperback copy of "The Green Girl" (1930) in the Von Karmen Auditorium at JPL during the Voyager 2 Saturn encounter. An "A. Merrit" style "scientifictions", and quite readible, unlike 99% of the pre-John W. Campbell, pre-Heinlein science fiction ever written.
nprev
I remember in the introduction to his mid-70s collection The Best of Jack Williamson that he actually came to New Mexico with his parents in a covered wagon. What an extraordinary visionary!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.