Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Payload to LEO?
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Conferences and Broadcasts
MiniTES
Not exactly sure where to put this, but how would I go about calculating the paylad of a given launch vehicle to LEO? I always see people saying things like, "well, this gives you x tons to LEO, add another SRB and you get 2 more" - how do I calculate this? Is there a program I could get hold of?
djellison
I don't know of a program to work it out - it's probably a more complex simulation to get accurate figures than Joe Public could manage (although perhaps using something like Orbiter one could simulate a fairly close approx.)

Most of the figures are out there for current or near-future LV's already though...they have to be in a commercial launch context so people can know what they're looking at www.astronautix.com is a great starting point, and hunt for Launch Guidelines or Payload Guides etc as PDF's at various LV manufacturers websites ( Ariane, Starsem, Pegasus, Atlas V, Delta IV, II all out there I think ) which give extensive versbose launch capacity specification.

Doug
MiniTES
QUOTE (djellison @ Nov 10 2006, 07:31 PM) *
I don't know of a program to work it out - it's probably a more complex simulation to get accurate figures than Joe Public could manage (although perhaps using something like Orbiter one could simulate a fairly close approx.)

Most of the figures are out there for current or near-future LV's already though...they have to be in a commercial launch context so people can know what they're looking at www.astronautix.com is a great starting point, and hunt for Launch Guidelines or Payload Guides etc as PDF's at various LV manufacturers websites ( Ariane, Starsem, Pegasus, Atlas V, Delta IV, II all out there I think ) which give extensive versbose launch capacity specification.

Doug

But clearly Orbiter has a mathematical basis on which it makes these calculations? Astronautix does have a lot of figures but not for new launch vehicles.
djellison
Well - not a set of calculations...it's just a simulation of what goes on.

Best place to start would be to google for 'The Rocket Equation' smile.gif

Doug
edstrick
To do an accurate calculation, you need to know the sea-level thrust and specific impulse of first stage engines, second stage vaccuum <more or less> thrust and impulse, third stage etc.. their mass fractions, burn profile, etc etc etc... that's to get a good (maybe 10%) approximation.

The Devil is in the Details.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.