Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opportunity 1000 sols
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
PhilCo126
Simular topic as we did for Spirit's Milli-sol smile.gif

Curious to see where MER-B will be at the 1000th Martian day milestone huh.gif
diane
Wouldn't that be a KSol? Oppy passed her first milliSol about, oh, a thousand sols ago.
PhilCo126
Milli ... Kilo ... exciting days to come that's for sure wink.gif
Mobility is important ( see my avatar of a wheeled ... in fact tracked Viking lander )
laugh.gif
PhilCo126
A 1000 sols for Opportunity on 15th November 2006... correct huh.gif ?
hal9000
Landing date: Jan/25/2004 (Source)
Sol duration (Mars): 1.02777 Earth days (Source)

So, according to this, 1000 sols will be approximately 1028 earth days.

Jan/25/2004 + 1028 earth days = Nov/18/2006 (According to Excel)

Is this the correct way to convert earth days to sols?

----------------
The other HAL 9000
jamescanvin
According to Mars24 (which agrees with MMB) Oppy Sol 1000 starts at 02:16:49UTC on Nov 16, 2006.
climber
BTW, we've got another milestone to celebrate today : 3 Martian years of rover operations in total smile.gif
ustrax
I ain't got much time but I couldn't pass without, in some manner, celebrate the special occasions...
Usually we talk a lot about our two babies and know some faces who made it possible...But there are so many!...From all places, all colours, all perspectives, only this way the astounding success was achieved.
In spite I'm no Fellini here's my sincere tribute to those who made it possible, certainly I'm missing some but hey!...It's from the heart... smile.gif

So here it goes...:

MER::2000 Sols
PhilCo126
Well done Ustrax ... I'm the first guy who gave it a 5 star rating wink.gif
This is not the end !
wheel.gif
climber
Yep, I rate 5 Ustarx too
This is not the end! pancam.gif
Gray
Excellent tribute. That's some very dramatic music you've chosen.
kenny
By the way, PhilCo126, I last saw your avatar pic of a tracked version of Viking over 30 years ago. It was designed before the Viking landings as a possible follow-on and I recall speaking with a guy at USGS Flagstaff about it in 1975. Amazing...

Kenny
mchan
The Ecstasy of Gold. I can't shake its association with Tuco running around and around past all the tombstones in the cemetery. smile.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (mchan @ Nov 10 2006, 04:38 AM) *
The Ecstasy of Gold. I can't shake its association with Tuco running around and around past all the tombstones in the cemetery. smile.gif

Thanks! smile.gif

Damn! I forgot to put the music credits...
That's it mchan...Ennio Morricone's Ectasy of Gold.
I'm sure that are a lot of people who don't appear in the "movie" but those were the ones available at the site...They represent all of them...
lyford
Morricone!

Your taste is as bold as your vision, ustrax!

What I like most about your film is that its a good answer when people say "How can you get so excited about a robot?" All that work, all that foundation of years of effort and expertise. The MERs are like the shining gold capstone of a pyramid...
ustrax
QUOTE (lyford @ Nov 10 2006, 03:43 PM) *
Morricone!

Your taste is as bold as your vision, ustrax!

What I like most about your film is that its a good answer when people say "How can you get so excited about a robot?" All that work, all that foundation of years of effort and expertise. The MERs are like the shining gold capstone of a pyramid...

Glad you like...My kind of stuff... smile.gif
The "movie" ain't that much, it is only a sequence of a lot of common people, but when I watch it I kind of forget I made it, thinking on what they have achieved as a team and with that Ecstasy playing...On that final part...with Steve fading and that "This is NOT the End" credit...Man, shivers down my spine...Give me the Oscar!!! tongue.gif

Have you that old time classic MER at work?... wink.gif
Ant103
Good job Ustrax. I agree with you, don't forget the men and women who have made the dream become reality. And the dream exploded by reality.
Many thanks Ustrax wink.gif

... "This is not the end"...
ustrax
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Nov 10 2006, 05:09 PM) *
Good job Ustrax. I agree with you, don't forget the men and women who have made the dream become reality. And the dream exploded by reality.
Many thanks Ustrax wink.gif

... "This is not the end"...

smile.gif

...Man! Would you believe that only seing this video I have realized that Oppy departed Earth when I was celebrating my birthday? ohmy.gif blink.gif
I miss a lot of details...Unforgivable... rolleyes.gif
nprev
Beautifully done and very moving, man...I'm sure that the MER team will really appreciate it!

What a job they have that they did so exceedingly well...sure would like to be able to tell my grandkids that I put two rovers on Mars! smile.gif I can't think of a better way to live life than to accomplish something as timelessly important like this.
climber
1000th sols is coming fast and, as for Spirit, poems will be written soon.
The recent entries in this forum are very serious-romantic writting with very smooth music and I LOVE what you've done, Ustrax (Pilgrins), Stu (poems) and Lyford (music).
As 1000th Oppy's sol come I'm in a VERY good mood and I thought I could write a light hearted song.
So, I've done these lyrics hoping somebody (Lyford?) could create music to go with.
This song is the kind of song you can sing in a group (like in 2007's UMSF meeting wink.gif ) probably after having drunk some beers and been in good mood. By the way, if you like it, you can continue the lyrics...

You know what ? I’m Oppy

My name’s rover Opportuni-ty
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
Of the two laddies I’m the more hap-py
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
That what say all the compa-ny
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
Including father Steve Squy-ry
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
They say I would last a full dece-ny
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
I think I’ll be there on next centu-ry
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
I was born and built in a factory
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
In the JPL in Califor-ny
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
They launched me from the Kenne-dy
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
I cross Martian air and land safe-ly
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
Thank you to the team of Rob Man-ny
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
After all these Sols I am still heal-thy
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
And they thought I’ll be cracky and dus-ty
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
Now I let you guys to do my du-ty
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
I need to explore MY crater Vicky
Oppyda da di doo dom-dy
ElkGroveDan
I think you need to bring along a banjo player for that one Climber.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.