Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Soup Dragon
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Stu
Clangers fans everywhere rejoice...!!! She's real!!

"The Soup Dragon"

Click to view attachment

Aww go on, use that name NASA, you know you want to...!!

biggrin.gif
AndyG
QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 29 2006, 06:33 AM) *
Clangers fans everywhere rejoice...!!! She's real!!

"The Soup Dragon"

Impressive find, Stu...but she's not looking too well! Probably a blue-string pick-me-up called for.

Andy
nprev
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Well, the Dragon is a lot more convincing than the Face. Maybe Mars should be renamed "the Rorschach Planet"... tongue.gif

Stu, I double-dog dare ya to forward this to Hoaxland... cool.gif
Malmer
reminds me of old maps of uncharted territories.

"Here be dragons"

M
tty
Actually it is supposed to go: "Here there be lyons"

tty
dvandorn
Nope -- as I've said before, here at Victoria, the map edge notes read, "Here they drag beacons..."

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
atomoid
Stu
Click to view attachment

Soup Dragon looks a lot bigger and more growly now... wink.gif
Stu
Cleaned up a bit...

Click to view attachment

Wow, how I'd love to hike over there... rolleyes.gif
Stu
QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 4 2006, 06:01 AM) *
You're right, Stu... and there is another not far from it, Both are clearly visible in MGS image.

Yep, I thought so too... I remember commenting on them yonks ago but as no-one replied I thought maybe I was imagining them.

I'm loving the detail visible on the "Soup Dragon" now... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Stu
Hail Soup Dragon! smile.gif

Click to view attachment
WindyT
Thank you for aiding my small obsession, Stu! The best capture yet of the base of "F2". Note the part circled in green below. This may turn out to be nothing, but I can't take my eyes away from it. I no longer think it's slumped down from above, but it doesn't look like it belongs there. I'm curious if it's just a giant shadow trick or if it truly is related to what we see at the base of Cape Verde.

Click to view attachment
Stu
Hmmm, you might well be onto something there Windy... here's another look at it...

Click to view attachment

I must admit I hadn't noticed its similarity to the base layer of Verde until you pointed it out...

Here's the view from above, courtesy of MRO...

Click to view attachment

(lifts eyebrow in Spock fashion) Fascinating...

(This isn't really Cabo Verde-related tho Windy... maybe we should start a dedicated "Soup Dragon & area" thread instead...?)
WindyT
Quote of entire last post removed.

Wow, thanks for the larger pic! It's hard to tell from this distance, but the more I look, the less I can tell. I'm kind of floating back and forth (on whether they'd match up to Verde's "lowest unit(s)") because of the vertical fractures in those rocks.

(This isn't really Cabo Verde-related tho Windy... maybe we should start a dedicated "Soup Dragon & area" thread instead...?)

Apologies to the mods! If this needs to be moved, great!
ngunn
Nice to see a Soup Dragon thread. I've already started using the term 'soup dragon' (lower case) in the general sense of 'slumped crater wall promontory'. As well as recalling fond memories of The Clangers, it perfectly describes the way in which I think these things could have formed, namely by subsidence into a soupy substrate. (Yes I know that's out of line with most of the geological discussion at the moment - well if I'm wrong that'll be another clanger, won't it?)
MarkL
[thankfully] this ain't a scholarly journal so tossing any reasonable idea out is always worthwhile. Who really knows what happened over the last few hundred million years here anyway. It's all conjecture really, just some slightly better backed up than the rest.
Stu
QUOTE (ngunn @ Oct 16 2006, 08:52 AM) *
well if I'm wrong that'll be another clanger, won't it?)

"And the award for 'Worst Pun in an UMSF thread ever" goes to..."

(rips open gold envelope)

"Ngunn for 'Another Clanger"!!!"

(orchestral music rises up, audience applauds and camera pans to a shocked ngunn who clearly can't believe it...)

wink.gif
tacitus
Just found this Clangers episode on YouTube (for those of you who don't know about the Clangers or the Soup Dragon).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HArUmqqiL0s

The episode is called "The Intruder" and is especially appropriate for this message board! Sadly there's no appearance by the Soup Dragon, but never fear, here's an episode in which the Soup Dragon features (about 5 minutes in):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgyeB6A5bHo

Ah - happy childhood memories!

Enjoy.
Stu
We'll never forget... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Malmer
QUOTE (tty @ Sep 29 2006, 09:17 PM) *
Actually it is supposed to go: "Here there be lyons"

tty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hic_Sunt_Dracones
ngunn
QUOTE (edstrick @ Oct 18 2006, 10:29 AM) *
Don't feed it any caffeine, or it will be a Hyper-ion.

Dear Stu,

I would like to return my award for worst pun on the grounds that . . . .
WindyT
http://qt.exploratorium.edu/mars/opportuni...POP2416L2M1.JPG

Just a quick observation that whatever (thinly??) layered rock at the base of F2 could also be at the base of the "G1" bay (to the right in the pancam image) as well. It's still a bit too early to play "connect the dots", but I can't resist...
Stu
Luvverly dunes nearby, too...

Click to view attachment
Stu
I love this feature... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
Stu
One day...

Click to view attachment
Stu
Nice view of the Dragon today...

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.