Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cassini Raw Images
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Outer Solar System > Saturn > Cassini Huygens > Cassini's ongoing mission and raw images
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Sunspot
Are all of the images from Cassini being posted on the RAW website? The latest status report mentions mosaics of the rings:

"Science activities this week included optical remote sensing (ORS) scans of
Saturn's south pole as well as Ultraviolet Imaging Spectrograph mosaics of
Saturn's magnetosphere. Imaging Science Subsystem (ISS) performed mosaics
and movies of the rings and Saturn's south pole."

Can any Cassini insiders here shed any light on this?
Sunspot
From Cassini's RAW website:

"The Cassini raw image processing system is being upgraded. During this period, the spacecraft will continue to take data and images. The upgrade process will be completed by Sept. 3. Once the upgrade is complete, all raw images received during this period will be available on the web. "

I wonder if they are adding the RAW data from earlier in the mission. I can't wait to see the images of Jupiter blink.gif blink.gif
volcanopele
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Aug 30 2004, 12:54 PM)
From Cassini's RAW website:

"The Cassini raw image processing system is being upgraded. During this period, the spacecraft will continue to take data and images. The upgrade process will be completed by Sept. 3. Once the upgrade is complete, all raw images received during this period will be available on the web. "

I wonder if they are adding the RAW data from earlier in the mission. I can't wait to see the images of Jupiter blink.gif blink.gif

I haven't heard anything but I am hoping that the way the images are stretched will be changed.
Sunspot
The latest RAW images are being added to the website, but I dont see any diference to it or the images. huh.gif
volcanopele
QUOTE (Sunspot @ Sep 3 2004, 03:31 AM)
The latest RAW images are being added to the website, but I dont see any diference to it or the images. huh.gif

yeah, I just looked at them too. For me it's not that big of a deal, but I can understand if others out there are frustrated with JPL.
peter59
This is my little contribution for the Unmanned Spaceflight community.

New software dedicated for fast preview Cassini's Raw Images Archive
(Coiss_2001 to Coiss_2025 volumes)
CassiniView

I have problem with auto stretch, I hope next version will be better.
alan
That didn't work:

CODE
This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy.
peter59
OK, please review the attached program.
ugordan
Wow, this is real neat.
I was planning on doing something similar that would also feature calibration ability, but was too lazy to ever do anything about it.

Great work, this will come in handy when browsing the cryptic image filenames! One thing I do with my image filenames upon calibration is include filter combo and 2 letter acronym of the target for quick navigation, it might be useful if you could do something similar in the image title bar - just to help quickly identify what you're looking at.
tedstryk
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
peter59
This newer version of CassiniView, originally dedicated for
Coiss_2001 to Coiss_2025 volumes (Data from Saturn Approach
to End of Mission), was adjusted for properly work with
Coiss_1001 to Coiss_1009 volumes (Cruise and Jupiter Encounter Data).

Additionally "target name" was added after "file name" on top
of open window for better orientation.
scalbers
Greetings,

I was getting some errors on the Cassini Raw Images page when attempting to call up the Dione Narrow Angle images from 9/30/2007. I wonder if anyone else is seeing such errors?

Thanks,

Steve

................................................................................

The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
Please contact the website administrator.

The following information is meant for the website developer for debugging purposes.
Error Occurred While Processing Request
corrupt table

The error occurred in /data/cassini/multimedia/images/raw/qry_getFeiImageInfoCache.cfm: line 52
Called from /data/cassini/multimedia/images/raw/raw-images-list.cfm: line 231
Called from /data/cassini/multimedia/images/raw/raw-images-list.cfm: line 1

50 : from tblFEIImage f
51 : where
52 : #PreserveSingleQuotes(storedQuery)#
53 : f.flagRelease=1 and
54 : f.isArchived=0

Resources:

* Check the ColdFusion documentation to verify that you are using the correct syntax.
* Search the Knowledge Base to find a solution to your problem.

Browser Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.8) Gecko/20071015 SUSE/2.0.0.8-1.1 Firefox/2.0.0.8
Remote Address 137.75.100.142
Referrer http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/raw/index.cfm
Date/Time 29-Feb-08 02:42 PM
Stack Trace
at cfqry_getFeiImageInfoCache2ecfm278844408.runPage(/data/cassini/multimedia/images/raw/qry_getFeiImageInfoCache.cfm:52) at cfraw2dimages2dlist2ecfm1835561791._factor6(/data/cassini/multimedia/images/raw/raw-images-list.cfm:231) at cfraw2dimages2dlist2ecfm1835561791.runPage(/data/cassini/multimedia/images/raw/raw-images-list.cfm:1)

java.lang.IllegalStateException: corrupt table
at coldfusion.util.LruCache.reap(LruCache.java:214)
at coldfusion.util.LruCache.get(LruCache.java:190)
at coldfusion.sql.Executive.getCachedQuery(Executive.java:1262)
at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.setupCachedQuery(QueryTag.java:708)
at coldfusion.tagext.sql.QueryTag.doEndTag(QueryTag.java:517)
at cfqry_getFeiImageInfoCache2ecfm278844408.runPage(/data/cassini/multimedia/images/raw/qry_getFeiImageInfoCache.cfm:52)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:192)
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:366)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage._emptyTag(CfJspPage.java:2644)
at cfraw2dimages2dlist2ecfm1835561791._factor6(/data/cassini/multimedia/images/raw/raw-images-list.cfm:231)
at cfraw2dimages2dlist2ecfm1835561791.runPage(/data/cassini/multimedia/images/raw/raw-images-list.cfm:1)
at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java:192)
at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(IncludeTag.java:366)
at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(CfincludeFilter.java:65)
at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(ApplicationFilter.java:279)
at coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(RequestMonitorFilter.java:48)
at coldfusion.filter.MonitoringFilter.invoke(MonitoringFilter.java:40)
at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.java:86)
at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(ExceptionFilter.java:70)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserDebugFilter.invoke(BrowserDebugFilter.java:74)
at coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.invoke(ClientScopePersistenceFilt
er.java:28)
at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.NoCacheFilter.invoke(NoCacheFilter.java:46)
at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilter.java:38)
at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(DatasourceFilter.java:22)
at coldfusion.filter.RequestThrottleFilter.invoke(RequestThrottleFilter.java:126)
at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:175)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:89)
at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:86)
at coldfusion.monitor.event.MonitoringServletFilter.doFilter(MonitoringServletFilte
r.java:42)
at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapFilter.doFilter(BootstrapFilter.java:46)
at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.doFilter(FilterChain.java:94)
at jrun.servlet.FilterChain.service(FilterChain.java:101)
at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker.java:106)
at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvokerChain.java:42)
at jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequestDispatcher.java:284)
at jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(ServletEngineService.java:543)
at jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable(JRunProxyService.java:203)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:320)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:428)
at jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeRunnable(ThreadPool.java:266)
at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java:66)
ElkGroveDan
Yes I was getting stuff like that when I was looking for the latest Janus images yesterday.
jasedm
It seems the raw images pages are subject to problems again, with the same error message noted by Steve when attempting an image search.
This is such a wonderful facility, it's easy to take it for granted and get a bit impatient when it's offline. Nothing for a week or so now....I'm eagerly awaiting the NAC scan of the Maxwell gap area from yesterday's periapse observations.
........must learn patience.....
OWW
It's not only the raw images page that's broken. What's up with the "Where's Cassini now" page? Lately it's been showing Cassini's position on January 21th....every day. I'd love to see the PRESENT position during the upcoming Enceladus flyby. unsure.gif
jasedm
Raw images now fixed, but present position still stuck stubbornly on 21st January..
jasedm
Some raws from 9th June appeared today (NAC ring images) which were taken during periapse last week.
See here.
There are data missing from this batch of raws represented by horizontal gaps/lines in the images - does anyone know what causes this intermittent problem? (the lines have appeared on a small percentage of earlier images)
Is it a software issue, or camera scanning, or data recorder issues, or problems with DSN reception of the data??
These have appeared later than they normally would, which would seem to indicate a problem getting them down - just curious.....
volcanopele
Usually these are caused by DSN data dropouts or errors in transmitting the data from DSN to JPL. These images are tagged as preliminary in the hope that those gaps will be filled by more data coming down the pipeline, either from the DSN or by another pass through the Cassini SSR (though the latter is only done for high priority data). After a week, if those prelim images haven't been fixed, they are changed to final images, which allows their release on the JPL raw images page.
jasedm
Thanks VP for that very clear explanation.
Had these been near-encounter Enceladus images then (for example), the likelihood is that the contents of the SSR would have been re-transmitted on another DSN pass.
peter59
The analysis of these unusual images may help to determine vertical structure of Saturn's clouds. High clouds are clearly visible on Saturn's nightside

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...1/W00046798.jpg
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...1/W00046822.jpg
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...1/W00046846.jpg
tasp
Are those 'blobs' like thunderheads sticking up above the dark hemisphere, or are we seeing buoyant gas balls off the limb ??

Freaky strange pictures either way. Doesn't look like comparable Voyager Neptune shot at all.

scalbers
Perhaps these are slightly higher clouds that catch the light better as we progress across the terminator? This type of thing would happen with high cirrus or cumulonimbus clouds on earth in twilight.

Steve
tallbear
Is there some way to "automatically" grab a series of sequential images from the RAW JPEG web site ?

I use IDL.... not sure if I can do it from inside IDL....

I've been told it's possible using JAVA ... but I'm totally Java Handicapped <G>

T
peter59
New ISS DVD is now available at the PDS.
http://pdsimg.jpl.nasa.gov/data/cassini/ca...ter/coiss_2038/
ugordan
QUOTE (peter59 @ Sep 23 2008, 10:42 PM) *
New ISS DVD is now available at the PDS.

Damn, you're fast. I just checked the site a couple of hours ago!

Thanks for the heads-up.
Floyd
No new images from Cassini on the website since September 20 (A few from August posted since). I assume the problem is with the Cassini website and not the space craft. Anyone know what's up? We have the next Enceladus in 12 days.
rlorenz
QUOTE (Floyd @ Sep 27 2008, 11:46 AM) *
No new images from Cassini on the website since September 20 (A few from August posted since). I assume the problem is with the Cassini website and not the space craft. Anyone know what's up? We have the next Enceladus in 12 days.

Conjunction was earlier this month
jasedm
There has been at least one downlink since conjunction (probably more). Perhaps the webmaster is on holiday???
Floyd
Conjunction was Sept 1-7 and there were zero pictures on cassini site if you search 09/02/2008- 09/07/2008. Every day since then we have between 1 and 202 images, 09/20/2008-09/21/2008 = 43 images. From 09/21/2008 through 09/28/2008=Zero. Webmaster holiday may be the cause. cool.gif
I sent an e-mail today to the Cassini Contact Us, but it may get fixed faster if someone from the Cassini team contacts the webmaster.

[Edit] Got the meaningless auto reply thanking me for my e-mail tongue.gif
ngunn
I wonder which will turn up first - the raw image containing Kraken Mare or a processed version? wink.gif
rlorenz
QUOTE (tallbear @ Jul 9 2008, 05:13 PM) *
Is there some way to "automatically" grab a series of sequential images from the RAW JPEG web site ?

I use IDL.... not sure if I can do it from inside IDL....

I confronted a similar problem recently having to download 3000-odd Pioneer Venus
ephemeris files (created when 45K/orbit was a big deal, I guess)

I found a downloadable PC program called Getbot (and I am sure there are many others
with similar capability, maybe there are some that are free) that was $20 and works well.
You can select a load of files if under the same directory, or you can paste in a list of
urls and it will hit them in sequence.

(I used an IDL script to generate my list of files as a text file, as they were spread
across 68 directories [corresponding to 68 CD-ROMs) in a rather uneven way
- 40 orbits on one, 200 on another, etc. so I had to use a for-next loop with custom limits
for each CD rom..... huge pain, but beat the heck out of right-clicking 3000 times and waiting..)
jasedm
I'm looking forward to the Tethys observations (range between ~110,000 and ~160,000km). The earlier of these will show similar terrain to the best global views achieved by Voyager 2 (Telemachus, Ajax, Polyphemus, Phemius etc) - it will be intersting to compare the differing qualities of the NAC optics of the two craft.
scalbers
Perhaps we'll see an improvement in resolution over previous imagery (combined Voyager/Cassini) in an area north of Telemachus, though it would be near the terminator.
ngunn
Well, we seem to have some new raw images now, including the Kraken Mare ones. smile.gif

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/imag...4/N00120322.jpg
elakdawalla
QUOTE (tallbear @ Jul 9 2008, 01:13 PM) *

Yes. Use wget (which is also what the Imaging Node wants you to use to grab files from their servers). Use the scripting language or software of your choice to generate a plain text file containing the sequential URLs, one per line (I use Excel for this, since I'm not much of a programmer). Then go to a command prompt and type

CODE
wget -i list.txt

Where "list.txt" is the name of your text file containing the list of filenames.

But that's actually a harder way to do it than the following. Wget is really designed to grab whole folders (even whole websites). Give the following command line a shot:
CODE
wget -r -np -e robots=off http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/raw/casJPGFullS44/

That grabs every image in the casJPGFullS44 folder...I just got all 1267 images in 2 minutes. Pick out whichever sequences you want from that folder. Wget is my friend!!

--Emily
Bjorn Jonsson
No new images at the raw images page this week. Hopefully everything is OK though - on November 24 Cassini was supposed to obtain stereo coverage of Tethys' southern hemisphere that I was interested in seeing (DEMs are fun!).
scalbers
Yes, I'm also hoping the page will be up so we can see the non-targeted Enceladus flyby on Dec 2.
tedstryk
QUOTE (Bjorn Jonsson @ Nov 28 2008, 08:27 PM) *
No new images at the raw images page this week. Hopefully everything is OK though - on November 24 Cassini was supposed to obtain stereo coverage of Tethys' southern hemisphere that I was interested in seeing (DEMs are fun!).

With the Thanksgiving holiday this week, if the raw page has a problem, there is a good chance no one is around to fix it.
jasedm
As noted on other threads, there are some raw images now available from the last periapse pass, but there are big gaps in the image numbering.
There are for example no frames between N00124458 (a single Helene Image) and N000124650 (Mimas in front of Saturn's disc) The 'missing' frames would I imagine include further Helene shots with different filters, and the Tethys south polar stereo images - I hope the data wasn't lost sad.gif
The lone Helene image is taken gazing down into the large polar crater - see below enlarged, sharpened and enhanced.

angel1801
All of the Tethys, Helene and Enceladus images are now viewable on the raw image gallery.
jasedm
Looks like the targeting of Helene was just a tiny bit off (the moon appears at the very edge of the NAC FOV in most of the raws from the latest flyby) - I wonder how much this is due to the moon 'wandering' from it's Lagrange point due to unaccounted-for perturbations by other objects?
It seems a portion of Cassini's time in most of the revolutions include 'orbit determination' images of the rocks - now we can see why this is important.
Perhaps this was why the planned images of Pallene a couple of orbits back didn't materialise...

Stu
Interesting composition...

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=180738

remcook
What's the star(?) it's pointing at? It's awfully bright.

THe picture next to it of Tethys isn't bad either:

http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/photos/raw/rawi...?imageID=180739
pat
QUOTE (jasedm @ Dec 3 2008, 06:09 PM) *
Looks like the targeting of Helene was just a tiny bit off (the moon appears at the very edge of the NAC FOV in most of the raws from the latest flyby) - I wonder how much this is due to the moon 'wandering' from it's Lagrange point due to unaccounted-for perturbations by other objects?
It seems a portion of Cassini's time in most of the revolutions include 'orbit determination' images of the rocks - now we can see why this is important.
Perhaps this was why the planned images of Pallene a couple of orbits back didn't materialise...

In this case the problem was with the spacecraft ephemeris used when calculating the camera pointing. There was an OTM between the time the camera pointing was calculated and the time it was uploaded to the spacecraft. The new post OTM ephemeris was only released shortly before the instructions for the sequence were sent to Cassini. The new trajectory was different enough that when combined with the out of date pointing it put Helene near the edge/partially off the NAC frame. The ephemeris for Helene is accurate, it was where it was expected to be -- its Cassini that wasn't where it was expected to be.

A similar situation applied for the Pallene images. On top of that it turned out that Pallene was also in Saturn's shadow at the time the images were taken, something that was overlooked when the observation was planned -- so even if the camera pointing had been updated with the latest spacecraft ephemeris we wouldn't have seen anything.
volcanopele
According to the Looking Ahead article for Rev101:

http://ciclops.org/view/5461/Rev_101

That's Beta Crucis (or Mimosa).
ngunn
Is it just me? For the last couple of days I haven't been able to view the most recent raw images. The thumbnails are blank except for the image numbers and attempts to open the full res versions are redirected to the site feedback form (which I have completed and sent).

I particularly wanted to see the latest Kraken Mare shots. If anybody does have them could they please post a specimen in a suitable thread?
jamescanvin
Not just you - I've been having the same problem.
Bjorn Jonsson
And same here - I was hoping to see images from yesterday's flyby of Rhea.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.