Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clouds
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pages: 1, 2, 3
jvandriel
With the images of clouds coming down, it is time for a new thread.

Here is just part of a panorama. Autostitch was not able to stitch

more than those 2 images of 4 images.

I think because there are not enough matching points.

Maybe one of the other programms can do it better?

Taken with the L0 navcam on Sol 962.

jvandriel

EDIT.
I have done my math again and the Sol is not Sol 962 but Sol 950.

I know there is a little program for finding the right Sol but i can't find it.

jvandriel
ngunn
Bang on Cue! Stu and I were just discussing this moments ago. Thanks for starting a thread for this topic.
mhoward
Sol 949:

mhoward
Sol 950 clouds:

The clouds do not match up from image to image because they actually move a considerable distance in the time it takes Oppy to rotate her camera mast.

Here is a perspective view of the same sol 950 clouds:

Nix
ohmy.gif that perspective view is really something Michael

Nico
Gray
Wow. That perspective view is stunning. It could be in a gallery.
mhoward
It does have a certain desolate beauty, doesn't it? I hope JPL will render a view like this and put it in a gallery. It's too bad this is all Navcam, not Pancam, or one might expect something similar in JB's upcoming book.
ngunn
QUOTE (mhoward @ Oct 9 2006, 01:56 PM) *
Here is a perspective view of the same sol 950 clouds:

[

A fantastic perspective view. For me this really is like being there, more than any other image I've seen. The reason? The true perspective and the expanse of sky overhead in one and the same image. MORE OF THESE PLEASE!!!

I'm no good with images, but if someone would cheat a little and remove the black stripe above the horizon it would be even better.
t_oner
Click to view attachment

Here is the cheated image.
mhoward
Nice!
ngunn
QUOTE (Tayfun Öner @ Oct 9 2006, 03:33 PM) *
Here is the cheated image.

Brilliant! Thanks. (I've never known a place like this for getting prayers answered quickly.)
jvandriel
Michael,

great panos as always

Which software do you use?

jvandriel
Ant103
Very beautifull images and clouds wink.gif

Here is a colorised version based on Tayfun Öner's michael cheated image :
Click to view attachment
mhoward
QUOTE (Ant103 @ Oct 9 2006, 04:30 PM) *
Here is a colorised version based on Tayfun Öner's michael cheated image :

Wow! This gets better and better. Nice job, Ant. Somebody alert APOD!
Airbag
QUOTE (mhoward @ Oct 9 2006, 01:04 PM) *
Somebody alert APOD!

And AW&ST smile.gif Seeing the surface and clouds in the same view really provides a "sense of place". Simply stunning.

Airbag
dilo
QUOTE (Airbag @ Oct 9 2006, 05:13 PM) *
And AW&ST smile.gif Seeing the surface and clouds in the same view really provides a "sense of place". Simply stunning.

And the similarities between the two are very intriguing...
Thanks, guys, both quality and speed of images posted on this Forum are better and better each day!
Shaka
Exquisite! A landscape of blueberry fields forever, under tenuous whispers of crystalline reflections.
Stu! It's time for a haiku! Get to work. rolleyes.gif
climber
QUOTE (Shaka @ Oct 9 2006, 09:21 PM) *
Exquisite! A landscape of blueberry fields forever, under tenuous whispers of crystalline reflections.
Stu! It's time for a haiku! Get to work. rolleyes.gif

In case Google crash, here is the model wink.gif

Let me take you down
cause I'm going to Blueberry fields
Nothing is real
and nothing to get hung about
Blueberry fields forever

Living is easy with eyes closed
Misunderstanding all you see
It's getting hard to be someone
but it all works out
It doesn't matter much to me

Let me take you down
Nothing is real
Blueberry fields forever

No one I think is in my tree
I mean it must be high or low
That is you can't, you know, tune in
but it's all right
That is I think it's not too bad

Let me take you down
Nothing is real
Blueberry fields forever

Always know sometimes think it's me
But you know I know when it's a dream
I think I know I mean, ah yes
but it's all wrong
that is I think I disagree

Let me take you down
Nothing is real
Blueberry fields forever
Blueberry fields forever
Blueberry fields forever
Charles
I was in shock and awe with the clouds and all very nice work
thank you for sharing
CosmicRocker
Top shelf work, folks. That view really is impressive, and the reference to Blueberry Fields seems surrealistically appropriate. It is quite a dreamscape, or perhaps a dream come true. Everything we've seen through these rover's eyes has been something we could only imagine a few short years ago, and this view adds a new dimension.
dilo
Cannot resist to make my personal mood edition...
Pedro_Sondas
Magnificent desolation!!! blink.gif
dilo
A different version, with a polar-like projection of the Michael's stitch (something like a super-fish eye view...)
glennwsmith
Mhoward and others, fantastic work! And imagine, we are now realizing that there are billions of other planets in the Universe, each with their own sights!
Nirgal
QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 11 2006, 12:11 AM) *
A different version, with a polar-like projection of the Michael's stitch (something like a super-fish eye view...)

blink.gif blink.gif OMG, another all-time-best of candidate MER mood image !

What a great collaboration of a "on-the-fly"-Team"of four:
Micheal (superb original stitch) Tayfun (perfect blending out of the missing
sky parts), Ant103 (beautiful initial colorization) and Marco (mood and breathtaking lens geometry)

Awsome work !
ngunn
QUOTE (Nirgal @ Oct 11 2006, 11:59 AM) *
blink.gif blink.gif OMG, another all-time-best of candidate MER mood image !

What a great collaboration of a "on-the-fly"-Team"of four:
Micheal (superb original stitch) Tayfun (perfect blending out of the missing
sky parts), Ant103 (beautiful initial colorization) and Marco (mood and breathtaking lens geometry)

Awsome work !

I'd like to second that wholeheartedly - thanks to all. I hope this will start a trend and we will begin to see more integrated sky-and-ground images here. I'm sure the data is out there to do it. For geology the ground may be almost sufficient, but for 'being there' we need skies. I say 'almost' for geology because in fact the distribution of light and colour over the whole sky is directly important for interpreting what we see in shadowed areas of the surface. On Earth we expect shadows to be bluer than areas in direct sunlight while on Mars the reverse is probably the case, so we need to adjust our mind-sets accordingly and images like this are very helpful.
climber
It's just a try, OK ?
I'm not good at all to do it properly but, since the begining I like the idea of the rovers sitting under the stars.
Feel free to do it the right way (BTW, originals are not MY pictures wink.gif )
Click to view attachment
imipak
> Feel free to do it the right way
>

Even my atrocious inability to control graphics programs can manage that...

Click to view attachment

wink.gif laugh.gif

(edit: sorry climber, it IS a good idea as anyone who has had the (increasingly unusual sad.gif ) privilege to see real dark skies knows... I didn't mean to be rude as I might have appeared smile.gif
Shaka
QUOTE (climber @ Oct 11 2006, 08:54 AM) *
It's just a try, OK ?

And a very good idea it is, Climb! But I feel that the Blueberry Fields should be darker and 'bluer' than in this version, and the stars a bit more diffuse along the horizon to fully convey a sense of night..
climber
QUOTE (imipak @ Oct 11 2006, 09:07 PM) *
(edit: sorry climber, it IS a good idea as anyone who has had the (increasingly unusual sad.gif ) privilege to see real dark skies knows... I didn't mean to be rude as I might have appeared smile.gif

imipak, don't worry, we have the same sense of humour!
I love your "work" biggrin.gif
Astro0
Here's my take on the Meridiani cloud image.
Click to view attachment
Desktop image: 333k
Enjoy
Astro0
glennwsmith
Astro0, your sky/ground image is gorgeous as well.

Which brings me to an interesting question -- and forgive (and enlighten) me if this has been covered in another thread:

It is fascinating to me how the Martian atmosphere -- which is, what, only 1/100th as dense as earth's ? -- can be so effective in creating the diffusion and softening and atmospheric perspective which we associate with the earth, as opposed to the incredibly harsh images from the surface of the moon. Someone care to enlighten me on this topic, or point me to the relevant thread?
fredk
The brightness (and pinkish colour) of the Martian sky is due mostly to the dust in the atmosphere. If there were no dust, the sky would be very dark blue, as you'd expect for such a thin atmosphere.

We actually see the Martian sky brightness and colour vary with the seasons, as there's more dust at certain times of the year (summer, I think).
ngunn
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Oct 12 2006, 11:38 PM) *
Here's my take on the Meridiani cloud image.

Astro0 I like that version VERY much - almost exactly as I was seeing it in my head except that I had the colouration somewhat less intense and more greyish (and even I with very primitive means can tweak that).
I feel like I'm learning to breathe the Martian air now.
general
QUOTE (jvandriel @ Oct 9 2006, 01:46 PM) *
I know there is a little program for finding the right Sol but i can't find it.

jvandriel

http://personal.strath.ac.uk/a.goddard/timestamp.swf
jvandriel
Thanks general,

that is the one I was looking for.

jvandriel
Tman
QUOTE (fredk @ Oct 13 2006, 05:12 AM) *
The brightness (and pinkish colour) of the Martian sky is due mostly to the dust in the atmosphere. If there were no dust, the sky would be very dark blue, as you'd expect for such a thin atmosphere.

Awesome pics here!

But something is still misty to me. Shouldn't it be so that on Mars the horizon sight appears in deeper shade of red than around the zenith that gets less reddish/pinkish/... and yet darker (and even a little blue) because of mainly less dust and also less atmosphere in the line of sight?
ngunn
QUOTE (Tman @ Oct 13 2006, 08:40 PM) *
Awesome pics here!

But something is still misty to me. Shouldn't it be so that on Mars the horizon sight appears in deeper shade of red than around the zenith that gets less reddish/pinkish/... and yet darker (and even a little blue) because of mainly less dust and also less atmosphere in the line of sight?

My impression from the evidence I've seen and read so far is:- Close to the horizon pinkish/yellowish, think (caucasian) flesh tones. At zenith darker version of same colour, perhaps a tiny bit less yellow and more indigo but only a tiny bit, seldom if ever enough dust clearance to be midnight blue as it would be without dust. Clouds pearly silver. Some noctilucent clouds too.
dilo
Wow, Astro0!
cool.gif
dilo
I missed to process also Sol949 Michael's projection (now with some desaturation toward zenith...):
dilo
QUOTE (mhoward @ Oct 9 2006, 05:04 PM) *
Wow! This gets better and better. Nice job, Ant. Somebody alert APOD!

And someone did:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061017.html
Even though biggest part of the work was made by the 3 guys in the credit list, I contributed to the final version they published with improved colorization.
I asked to add my name in the credit list, hoping isn't too late... rolleyes.gif
Ant103
Wow! Incredible!
I'm agree with Dilo, he had contribute to this picture smile.gif
Reckless
Dilo your picture (post 40) makes it look like Venus got very close to Mars ohmy.gif
Roy F
Tesheiner
Congrats, you did it again! biggrin.gif cool.gif
ugordan
Congrats to all involved for making APOD once again!
Sadly, this reminds me again of the difference in "approval" of publishing raw data products between MER and Cassini, but let's not spoil this moment.
Awesome image indeed!
ngunn
QUOTE (ugordan @ Oct 17 2006, 09:37 AM) *
Congrats to all involved for making APOD once again!
Awesome image indeed!

Yes, well done and well deserved!
Question for anyone in the know: How many UMSF-mediated images have made APOD?
ustrax
One more drooling fan joining the congratulations! biggrin.gif
This image just had to go somewhere... smile.gif
djellison
Two from the fab-four (Husband Hill and Duck Bay), not sure about any other UMSF 'team work' images though

Doug
Astro0
Well done on the 'clouds' image hitting APOD.

For the so-called 'Fab Four' on UMSF, I think APOD could well mean: 'AMAZING PRODUCTS OF DEDICATION'.

Astro0
mhoward
QUOTE (dilo @ Oct 17 2006, 05:57 AM) *
And someone did:
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap061017.html
Even though biggest part of the work was made by the 3 guys in the credit list, I contributed to the final version they published with improved colorization.
I asked to add my name in the credit list, hoping isn't too late... rolleyes.gif

I submitted it, and probably there was some confusion since I ended up submitting both versions. However it looks like your name has been added to the credits now, Marco, so job well done. :-)

I submitted it before Astro0 did his great version, by the way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.