Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The scale of Victoria...
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Stu
Following Jabe's excellent suggestion, I invite everyone to post images showing the scale of objects and features around and within Victoria Crater in this topic... smile.gif

Click to view attachment
babboxy
someone go place the rover on the far side!
... could we still see it? wink.gif
jabe
QUOTE (babboxy @ Oct 1 2006, 03:56 PM) *
someone go place the rover on the far side!
... could we still see it? wink.gif

check here in another thread. so I guess the answer is yes..since rover is taller than 22cm
cheers
jb
dvandorn
QUOTE (Stu @ Oct 1 2006, 10:23 AM) *
Following Jabe's excellent suggestion, I invite everyone to post images showing the scale of objects and features around and within Victoria Crater in this topic... smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Well, that's your House Rock, right there... biggrin.gif

-the other Doug
rogelio
What I’d like to see is an animation showing the acceleration due to gravity on Mars – using the cliffs of Victoria Crater. I wonder whether fredk’s “Mystery Man” is up to the challenge? (Not to worry, I’m sure MM is perfectly elastic). Since d = about 5t^2 on Mars it would take MM six seconds to fall the 70 meters to the bottom... Or he could make the trip in a series of shorter leaping bounds using Cabo Verde as a “jumping off” point.
rogelio
Correction, I meant distance (in meters) = 2 x time (in seconds) squared on Mars...
lyford
Some great work back in the other thread as well

Can't wait to see what our photoshop geniuses can do with this one, it's even the right color I think!
Shaka
QUOTE (lyford @ Oct 1 2006, 05:16 PM) *
Can't wait to see what our photoshop geniuses can do with

"Sic 'em, Oppy! This is your crater!"
cool.gif
edstrick
A point I've been making is that the 800 meter straight line distance to the far rim of the crater from the rover's current location is greater than the TOTAL MISSION DRIVING GOAL of 600 meters.
AndyG
QUOTE (rogelio @ Oct 1 2006, 10:47 PM) *
What I’d like to see is an animation showing the acceleration due to gravity on Mars...

Not quite the full 70 metres, but here's the first seven. (Click on the coloured balls...red is Mars, blue is Earth.)

Andy
Astro0
Doug wrote in another thread...here...about how involved we've all become in this voyage and said to the MER teams "Thankyou for giving us the images, taking us on this journey, sharing this adventure."

Well Doug, all I want to say to you is 'thankyou for giving us a place for our images, for taking us on this journey, and allowing us to share this adventure'.

Back in the days when we were at the BBQ with Spirit you sent me several photos of yourself located near a lake(?) somewhere. The one I used for the BBQ photo was of you and Helen standing together, but another you sent was of yourself with back to camera looking over the water. It looked as if you were taking a photograph or perhaps looking through binoculars.

This was right around the time that VC was being announced as a goal for Opportunity and I thought it would be great to use that photo to have you standing on the rim and looking at the vista below.

Sort of 'on topic' here's my thanks to you for allowing all of us on UMSF to 'share this adventure'.
Astro0 smile.gif
Click to view attachmentFile:468k

PS: Not sure if Doug's to scale here, but that's not really the point.
Tman
QUOTE (AndyG @ Oct 2 2006, 12:39 PM) *
Not quite the full 70 metres, but here's the first seven. (Click on the coloured balls...red is Mars, blue is Earth.)

Nice Animation! Looks like it would be even possible to jump down from that Cabo - If it is sandy enough there at the ground.
rogelio
Tman quote: Nice Animation! Looks like it would be even possible to jump down from that Cabo - If it is sandy enough there at the ground.

...Yes, your velocity after a 7 m drop on Mars would be equivalent to that of a 2.7 m jump on Earth... And if the ground was sandy, it would be sort of like jumping off the roof into a snow drift...
AndyG
QUOTE (rogelio @ Oct 2 2006, 01:50 PM) *
If the ground was sandy, it would be sort of like jumping off the roof into a snow drift...

...seven metres on Mars is just inside the zone I called "a bit dangerous" on this tool. That said, an enterprising astronaut (in a flexible suit) could bound up it in two big standing jumps. rolleyes.gif

Andy
climber
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Oct 2 2006, 01:56 PM) *
This was right around the time that VC was being announced as a goal for Opportunity and I thought it would be great to use that photo to have you standing on the rim and looking at the vista below.
Click to view attachmentFile:468k

Asto, that looks so real! Unbelievable. smile.gif
Very different to pictures as compared to the one with Astronauts or Oppy.
This give a different sense of what been on Mars look like.
I understand you did that for Doug, but thanks Astro, many thanks.
Nix
Ahhh, so that's where he's hanging out smile.gif He told ME he was going to Valencia mad.gif laugh.gif

Terrific work Astro0!

Nico
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.