Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oppy seen from MRO-Hirise
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
climber
I understand that the answer will be known before superior conjuction.
After discovering the first image released from MRO and comments, I realize that it'll need MRO two orbits to capture all Victoria since the ground track of Hirise is smaller than the diameter of Victoria crater. CORRECTED : the first image released is smaller than the diameter of Victoria crater. Somebody said that MRO has about the same resolution as Oppy on the far rim. All of this is amazing to say the less.
This mean that, "our" image's wizards could simulate what we'll see in a few days. For the others, like myself, we can only tell it.
1-Will Oppy be visible in details? I'm concerned by the brightness of the solar panels (better shot now before cleaning events wink.gif ).
2-how will we see her tracks?
3-Ema Dean & Beagle will be the only realy known places
4-we can see a lot of boulders inside VC. Which will be the smaller we'll see?
5-will we see the rocks inside Duck Bay crater?
...more

Let me try a bet : we'll see Oppy's shadow.
djellison
No - if targetted well - HiRISE can get the whole Opportunity traverse + Victoria in one swathe - 6km width, 18km length (with 20k x 60k pixels).

However....

http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/lofiver....php/t1010.html

Basically - with perfect pixels... http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/doug_im...hirise_oppy.jpg

I'd expect to see something not that good - but between that and the CPROTO res image I did as well.

Time to go to Valencia smile.gif

Doug
climber
just time to trim the un-needed quote before I go wink.gif

Have a nice stay smile.gif
DEChengst
QUOTE (climber @ Sep 30 2006, 09:04 AM) *
Somebody said that MRO has about the same resolution as Oppy on the far rim.

At 800 meters Pancam gets a resolution of 23 cm/pixel. HiRISE does about 30 cm/pixel so Pancam is still a bit better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.