Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Victoria Crater in your city
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > Mars & Missions > Past and Future > MER > Opportunity
Pedro_Sondas
Victoria Crater in Cordoba (my city), Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia in Spain, using Google Earth: wink.gif

Victoria.Spain
clt510
QUOTE (Pedro_Sondas @ Sep 28 2006, 04:26 AM) *
Victoria Crater in Cordoba (my city), Madrid, Barcelona and Valencia in Spain, using Google Earth: wink.gif

Victoria.Spain

That's quite clever!
djellison
I tell you what, the guys at the conference in Valencia next week will get a kick out of that smile.gif

Doug
Pedro_Sondas
Now in USA:

- Meteor (Barringer) Crater
- Central Park - New York
- LC 39B - Kennedy Space Center
- White House biggrin.gif unsure.gif

And in Europe:

- Colliseum - Rome
- Champs de Mars - Paris
- Trafalgar Square - London
- Red Square - Moscow
ngunn
Can't get these to open - any hints?
diane
Shheeeesh. Just this morning I uninstalled Google Earth because I'm getting tired of Google acting like spyware. Can someone just post a screen capture please?
alan
QUOTE (ngunn @ Sep 28 2006, 06:23 AM) *
Can't get these to open - any hints?

I stared at it for a while waiting for it to show up before I realiized I needed to zoom in to the city myself before I could see it.
The Singing Badger
QUOTE (alan @ Sep 28 2006, 11:58 AM) *
I stared at it for a while waiting for it to show up before I realiized I needed to zoom in to the city myself before I could see it.

You don't have to. A folder is created in the 'Places' menu on the left. If you open up the folder you can then click on the individual cities to zoom in.
themachinestops
Here's my attempt.....Where Victoria is scaled appropriately using Google Earth, here superimposed over my neighborhood, the West Village of Manhattan.

Click to view attachment
ilbasso
Superimposing it on Launch Complex 39 sure made it look like there was a "catastrophic failure" on the launch pad!!
Pavel
QUOTE (ilbasso @ Sep 28 2006, 12:03 PM) *
Superimposing it on Launch Complex 39 sure made it look like there was a "catastrophic failure" on the launch pad!!

Obviously a major malfunction blink.gif
Stu
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 28 2006, 06:33 PM) *
Obviously a major malfunction blink.gif

VERY bad memories sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
atomoid
I cant seem to get anything in the Google view other than a dark rectangle.

The .kmz files provide the locations and apparently the dark rectangle, but how to overlay the actual victoria picture? is this soemthing i have to do in photoshop? it seemed from reading this thread that it would be possible to just go-to and see the views similar to tose that have been posted.

I also would like to use one of the newer images to overlay, as well as find a way to get the dem data in there so it will haev some terrain detail in perspective (though thats probably a much taller order).
Nix
grassy Victoria Crater biggrin.gif

Nico
dot.dk
My home village fits entirely inside Victoria Crater! That gives a sense of scale! ohmy.gif

Bill Harris
This is the northeastern section of Birmingham, Alabama, USA with Victoria crater superimposed. To the northwest of Victoria is Dolcito Quarry , a stone quarry started in the late 1800's; to the southeast is East Lake, a recreational lake constructed in the early 1900's; and to the south is part of the B'ham Airport.

My current hometown, OTOH, would fit within the bowl of the crater.

--Bill
icez
Victoria crater next to Meteor crater in Arizona (also known as the Barringer Meteorite Crater).

Also, meteor crater on google maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...mp;t=k&om=1
CosmicRocker
QUOTE (dot.dk @ Oct 14 2006, 07:32 AM) *
My home village fits entirely inside Victoria Crater! That gives a sense of scale! ohmy.gif
dotdk: That was a clever way to show your local scale. I like it. I may have to try that myself.
ustrax
QUOTE (CosmicRocker @ Oct 15 2006, 06:27 AM) *
dotdk: That was a clever way to show your local scale. I like it. I may have to try that myself.

Yes it was and I tried it.
It's quite scary to do so...All the streets, all the people, everything I know would be wipped out...
Well...Not everything...The cemetary and the shopping would escape... rolleyes.gif

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b14/ustrax3/scale.jpg
ugordan
QUOTE (ustrax @ Oct 16 2006, 11:26 AM) *
The cemetary and the shopping would escape... rolleyes.gif

You do realize the shock wave would wipe out everything in that scene! The rest would wind up buried in the ejecta. biggrin.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (ugordan @ Oct 16 2006, 12:28 PM) *
You do realize the shock wave would wipe out everything in that scene! The rest would wind up buried in the ejecta. biggrin.gif

I was just being ironic... rolleyes.gif
BTW...What's the size of Victoria's ejecta?...
djellison
Well - my home town of Leicester isn't covered by good imagery on Google Earth....so I went for my favorite local area that is - Donington Park race circuit......
ugordan
Hehe, that looks like someone took a paper photo and burned a hole in it smile.gif
ustrax
QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 16 2006, 01:39 PM) *
Well - my home town of Leicester isn't covered by good imagery on Google Earth....so I went for my favorite local area that is - Donington Park race circuit......

Comparing again...

Here's Alvalade XXI in the bottom of Victoria...My team's stadium...
I should have done this with Benfica's instead... mad.gif
Gray
My hometown isn't covered well by Google either, so I had Vicki take out both runways of our regional airport.

Click to view attachment
CosmicRocker
Nice images, people. It appears that the dismal MER eclipse of 2006 has finally descended upon us. We may need more diversions like this to save our sanity over the next few weeks. There really is more than enough information from past sols to pick over that can carry us through this, but for the time being I am jumping into this thread. Google Earth doesn't play well with my dialup, so I grabbed a view of the USGS quads at TopoZone for this. I suspect I will find time to get the aerial view from Google on the fatter pipe at work, tomorrow.

I originally thought I would try to preserve my dwelling by centering the beacon on my house, but the house wouldn't have survived the impact, as has been mentioned. Then I thought, "Maybe I should center the impact on the golf course next door." That would provide someone like me with quite an opportunity for a hole in one. Shortly thereafter I realized that the impact would likely divert the bayou, and fill the crater with water. Now, that's a target I feel comfortable shooting for. wink.gif
Click to view attachment
climber
A bit out of topic, but no much biggrin.gif
From the begining, the rovers have roved a bit more than 16.2 km (ok, I know, that include every move, every slipage etc...); anyway, this distance, 16.2 km is the SAME distance I drive every day from home to work! What about that ? wheel.gif wheel.gif
climber
More on topic.
This is where I live (red circle is my house) and how Victoria fit in the scenary. Believe it or not there's 65 m difference from the plain near the river up to my house. There's also 730 m from where the picture has been taken to my house. That give me a pretty good idea of the size :
Click to view attachment
Astro0
Here's a look at Victoria Crater added to the Tidbinbilla valley at the DSN complex just outside of Canberra.
DSS-43 (70-metre antenna) on the crater floor. Notice the scale of the cars.
Vicky's one big hole in the ground.
Click to view attachmentFile:260k
Enjoy
Astro0
MahFL
I like that pic. Its surreal seeing a DSN station where Oppy actually is. Also Victoria isn't all that big of a Martian crater really.
jamescanvin
I thought I'd join the party...

Victoria fits nicely into Bondi Bay - (you can see my place in this image smile.gif ).

Click to view attachment

The main span of the Sydney Harbour Bridge is too short for Victoria (503m), but will bridge F2/3 to L2/3. (Note The Opera House, bottom)

Click to view attachment

And it turns out I've taken a mosaic of the bridge from a ferry at about where Cape Verde is in this image. So here is how Oppy sees the scene. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

James
Stu
GREAT images James, very enlightening. I love images which give me a sense of scale for astronomical objects. smile.gif

... but as her representative here, I feel I must protest - in the strongest possible terms - about your siting of one of the great Bridge's support pillars so close to the Soup Dragon's lair.

No blue string soup for you! mad.gif wink.gif
jamescanvin
Don't worry Stu, no Soup Dragon habitat was damaged during construction. wink.gif

Glad you like the images, I found it very enlightening too. smile.gif

James
Rakhir
QUOTE (Astro0 @ Oct 19 2006, 01:20 AM) *
Here's a look at Victoria Crater added to the Tidbinbilla valley at the DSN complex just outside of Canberra.
DSS-43 (70-metre antenna) on the crater floor.

Very nice Astro0.
Could you do the same with Arecibo ?
Astro0
Sure thing Rakhir.
Here's the 305-metre Arecibo dish inside Victoria.
Click to view attachment
Desktop version. File:329k
Enjoy
Astro0
Rakhir
Thanks Astro0.
Nice view, although less aesthetic than Canberra because Victoria doesn't blend very well in the surrounding forest.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.