Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2007 forum members meeting
Unmanned Spaceflight.com > EVA > Chit Chat
Steffen
O.K. here we go, separate topic for a possible 2007 UMSF 'Real World' meeting...
PhilCo126
Well as we're going to restart this topic, I personally would prefer G or G ( that is Germany or Great Britain )... Any progress on the visitor center of the Jodrell Bank radio tracking station in the Cheshire plains ?
Any other interesting British sites to visit ( in summer ! ) ?
wink.gif
djellison
Jodrell Bank would be good - I'll try and visit it this winter to see what it's like now ( I visited last year at some point )

Doug
paxdan
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Sep 18 2006, 05:55 PM) *

Stonehenge for the solstice...
djellison
I'm not getting my white druid robes out the loft again - they're all moth-eaten

smile.gif

Actually - it's WAY smaller than you think it is.

Jodrell Bank is good - National Space Centre in Leicester's good - Science Museum in London's good.
dvandorn
Also, unless they've changed the rules recently, you can't get to within more than a couple of hundred yards of the stones at Stonehenge at any time of the year, let alone at solstice. It seems that everyone who used to visit the stone circle just had to chip a piece of stone off as a souvenir. At the rate the stones were being vandalized, there wouldn't have been much left of them in another few decades... sad.gif

-the other Doug
climber
One of the most essential thing will be to set up a date a few month before so we can organise ourself. England is fine, any country in fact! Just stay on Earth for this meeting
ElkGroveDan
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Sep 18 2006, 08:55 AM) *

I hear they have a few pubs over there.
paxdan
QUOTE (dvandorn @ Sep 18 2006, 07:47 PM) *
Also, unless they've changed the rules recently, you can't get to within more than a couple of hundred yards of the stones at Stonehenge at any time of the year, let alone at solstice.
-the other Doug

Actually the rules have been relaxed and the 15 year ban on parties was lifted in 2000 they now let people gather and clamber all over the stones on the solstice. I'll be there in 2007.
Steffen
Jodrell bank must be an amazing sight I guess wink.gif
nprev
So is Goldstone, I'm sure. As a cash-strapped UMSFer living in LA, might I humbly suggest Palm Springs? tongue.gif
Nix
Palm Springs?? Man I'll come to Hawaï if you pay for my ticket biggrin.gif

Nico
PhilCo126
Don't know if a trans-atlantic trip was feasible for a first meeting...
Talking about Jodrell bank, can we get a tour of the facilities and is there some kind of visitor center ?

Found some photos online:
http://www.garfnet.org.uk/coppermine/thumb...s.php?album=277

http://cam.derringer.co.uk/JodrellBank/
DEChengst
If there's going to be a 2007 meeting shouldn't it be held on October 4 ?
PhilCo126
It might be too cold around Jodrell bank in October wink.gif
PhilCo126
Could this be a forum meeting? Take a look at this truck’s license plate…
climber
QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 9 2006, 09:20 PM) *
Could this be a forum meeting? Take a look at this truck’s

Would have been even better if it was a "Rover" tongue.gif
PhilCo126
Over 15 replies, and the new year is on the horizon, ... one good point was mentioned as Doug was going to check Jodrell during the winter ... Keeping both eyes on this topic wink.gif
Bob Shaw
Perhaps the 2008 UMSF meeting should be held that September in Glasgow, at the same time as the IAF Congress.

In the meantime, here's some Jodrell Bank images to whet the appetite:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Bob Shaw
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.